• Zalman Heatpipe 750 Watts
      • Case:
      • Cosmos
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64

HTPC gaming build

Hi all

Been a while since I've posted on here!

I currently have an MSI GE60 laptop which has a 860m gpu.

I'm thinking about upgrading and was looking at some of the 980m laptops but thinking for the amount they cost I could go with a HTPC with a decent graphics card and play my games on my TV ( I regularly plug my laptop into my TV anyway). This would then let me use steam in house streaming to my laptop when I want to play mouse and keyboard games etc.

I was looking at going with the following:
    ASUS Strix GTX 970
    I5 4690K
    Motherboard - not sure as I'm looking for a mini itx board.

I've got most of the other bits (case, memory. Psu etc)

Does this look good ? Would I be able to max out games at 1080p with a setup like this?
    Would steam streaming work well like this?

Thanks for any help!

Thanks

Re: HTPC gaming build

Unless you've got limited space I wouldn't bother with a Mini-ITX motherboard. You're just paying more and sacrificing any option to extend your HTPC in future (e.g. TV Tuner).

A GTX 970 should be able to play games well at 1920x1080 (or 2560x1080 if you've got an ultra widescreen TV).

Thanks

Hexus reckonned the intel compute stick could receive stream steam well, 802.11n Wireless. Your laptop has 802.11 b/g/ n. New standards are out, this one for example MSI Z97I Gaming ACK Mini-ITX Motherboard has 802.11 ac and supposedly can use wireless and lan at the same time. Not everyone likes this board the layout could prove difficult for your cooling im just using it as an example not a recommendation but i imagine it would stream steam well.
    Last edited by potatochip; 07-05-2015 at 04:32 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks

That would easily play games at 1080p and then some. I know some people have bad views on ITX boards but if you know you do not need any more that 1 PCI slot then I think they are awesome.

The latest ITX boards have absolutely everything crammed on to them I would go for the MSI Z97I GAMING AC or the ASUS Z97I-PLUS board, you wireless AC and an M.2 port and loads of USB ports. I plan on using one of them in my next gaming build.

With ITX pick you case wisely and make sure you can fit a 970 in it, corsair 250d will and looks smart. I've gone for the corsair 380T which is more for lan partys, Fractal node 304 is also a really nice case and can take a full length card and PSU.

Thread Information