Thread: My 1st ever Build

Registered+
    Thanks

My 1st ever Build

hey everyone,
    just after thought on my build im currently funding and looking at building during the christmas holidays. I do think after some research that it may be a bit ott but ah well. Still any thoughts opinions tips etc would be much appreciated thanks

Microsoft Windows 10 64-Bit
    Corsair DDR4 32GB Vengeance LPX Black Memory Black
    MSI X99A GODLIKE GAMING,
    Samsung 256GB 850 PRO Enterprise SSD/Solid State Drive
    MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti
    Cooler Master HAF X V2 Tower performance Gaming Case
    Corsair Gaming M65 RGB Black Mouse
    Corsair Raptor K30 Gaming Keyboard
    Cooler Master V8 High Performance CPU Cooler
    Seagate 2TB 3.5" ST2000DX001 SSHD Solid State Hybrid Drive 8GB
    Corsair RM Series 750W Modular Power Supply
    Intel Core i7 5820K Unlocked, S 2011-3, Haswell-E, 6 Core, 3.3GHz Clock
    SAMSUNG S24E510C Full HD 27" Curved LED Monitor x3

Registered+
    Thanks
    • bromax333's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z87-C
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7-4790K Cooled with Noctua NH-D14
      • Memory:
      • DDR3 16GB 2133Mhz CL11 HyperX Beast XMP
      • Storage:
      • WDCaviar Black 320 GB, 2 X WD BLACK SERIES 750GB, WD Green 2TB IntelliPower, Kingston V300 2.5 SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce GTX 980 AMP! Omega Edition 4GB DDR5 256-bit
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster HAF 912 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7(X64) Ultimate Edition SP1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Display 1: LG W24 Series W2486L 24" LED Monitor ╚► Display 2: LG 34UC97 34" Class 21:9 UltraWid
      • Internet:
      • RDS : 500mb\s Down; 200mb\s UP.

Re: My 1st ever Build

The rig is awesome, but :
    1. I'll change win 10 with win 7(then i'll upgrade it to 10 for free, is cheaper - win 7/64bits/ultimate edition/SP1 is 14$ on GA)
    2. Pick better TI (Strix or G1)

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

I'd go for a bigger SSD - given you're getting overkill everywhere else, seems a shame not to for the SSD too. I wouldn't bother with the hybrid drive though, get a good storage drive instead.

Other general point is when you're building an uber rig like that, don't skimp on the retailer just for the sake of a few quid free delivery - go with a retailer with an excellent returns and support policy. Places like SCAN are great if you need to scrounge the cheapest possible budget, but in your case I'd look for someone a little more customer friendly even if it's a touch more expensive.

Thanks
    • Giraffe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 5675C, S 1150, Broadwell, Quad Core, 3.1GHz, 3.6GHz Turbo
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600, 4GB
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Samsung SSD, 850 Pro, SATA 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Integrated
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12G 450W 80+ Gold
      • Case:
      • Antec P100
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro, 32-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2415, 24", 16:10
      • Internet:
      • TP-Link modem-router; 3mbps sync.

kalniel, you mention Scan as being, er, 'budget'. I'm considering a new build and would consider Scan (8 years since last build!). Which retailers do you consider to be good and, if you can say, where does Scan fall down?
    PeterC

Political lubricant:

Rocket WMD45

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
    kalniel, you mention Scan as being, er, 'budget'. I'm considering a new build and would consider Scan (8 years since last build!). Which retailers do you consider to be good and, if you can say, where does Scan fall down?
    Every shop is different and has it's own strengths and weaknesses. SCAN has a great range of components, and has very competitive pricing, but the trade off for lower margins etc. seems to be a slightly lesser customer experience, particularly in the unfortunately event of a return. Of course SCAN aren't doing anything illegal as far as I know. I have seen them push customers to manufacturers for returns in preference of returning to the retailer - in some cases that could be best thing for the customer, but in the UK it's normal practise for (and indeed the responsibility of) the shop to handle that, and the best shops will send out replacements from stock themselves rather than leaving it to the manufacturer which involves additional waits. The testing of returned components also looks like it's a bit of a pain at SCAN - mistakes seem to be made on occasion and customers may have been accused of damaging items that are faulty or even simply being returned without being opened. On other occasions items are passed onto the manufacturer for additional testing and it seems to be entirely beholden on the manufacturer's reimbursement to SCAN before the customer is then reimbursed. Stock control in general also doesn't seem to be a strong point!

A different way of operating is to place the relationship between the customer and the store at the forefront - in effect leaving the manufacturer out of it - so the customer gets their needs addressed as soon as possible, and the reimbursement of the store's stock/credit is handled behind the scenes without impact on the customer. This way of operating increases costs, since there is the chance a manufacturer won't reimburse the store, and it may involve writing down a certain amount for goodwill returns/refunds - which are above and beyond that required by the law. Those costs eventually have to be met by the customer, meaning prices might be higher, but it's something you factor in when buying.

Examples of stores with a good customer focus? It's hard to judge from what they say as they all seem to promise the earth! Amazon have a fantastic returns policy, but they will cap their losses and if you have to return too much you may find yourself out of luck - however they do warn you before this and I think it takes quite a lot!

Ebuyer seem slightly better than SCAN, but you can be sure they are working behind the scenes to reduce RMAs as will any store to be honest. They also have a history of misleading promotions according to the ASA.

I would rate cclonline quite highly. Overclockers used to have a bad rep, but I've heard better things of late. I've not tried Dabs recently, but I think they're pretty OK too. I've never bought from Novatech or Aria - not for any particular reason, just haven't had the occasion. Novatech seem to reply to messages on review sites which is a good sign.

Going further up the chain to more system-like providers gets you even better support - Dell, Apple, John Lewis etc. all have excellent customer service but of course you are limited in terms of what you can buy.

The other thing to check is whether you have any local independent stores in a town/city near you. The price will likely be significantly higher, but there's often room for negotiation, and customer service is so key to their business model that if they've survived for any number of years you're more than likely to get great service.

6. Received thanks from:

Giraffe (24-11-2015)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • KnightInd2000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930k
      • Memory:
      • DDR4 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung Evo SSD HD + 3TB NAS in Raid1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 290X
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Revolution 1250W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design - Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 1920x1080p
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mb

Personally I doubt that you'd notice the difference in speed between the Samsung 256GB 850 PRO SSD and an 850 Evo; and for the price you could have the 500GB version. But being as your spec is high end, I get the feeling that you've already thought of this and gone for the speed option. In this case why not get a 256GB 850 PRO M.2 NVMe for about £160? Then you are getting something noticeably quicker.

Thanks
    • Giraffe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 5675C, S 1150, Broadwell, Quad Core, 3.1GHz, 3.6GHz Turbo
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600, 4GB
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Samsung SSD, 850 Pro, SATA 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Integrated
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12G 450W 80+ Gold
      • Case:
      • Antec P100
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro, 32-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2415, 24", 16:10
      • Internet:
      • TP-Link modem-router; 3mbps sync.

kalniel,
    Thank you for that. I've always gone to Scan for most components (CCL for a special mouse and Crucial for RAM are the exceptions) but, looking at CCL's site and reading a bit in OCUK's forums, they look OK.
    The one example of service from CCL was very good - but that was 7 years ago! I do remember that there was an extra charge for using a credit card; that might have changed by now.
    PeterC

Political lubricant:

Rocket WMD45

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bromax333 View Post
    The rig is awesome, but :
    1. I'll change win 10 with win 7(then i'll upgrade it to 10 for free, is cheaper - win 7/64bits/ultimate edition/SP1 is 14$ on GA)
    2. Pick better TI (Strix or G1)
    Thanks for advice
    Is there much difference between the professional and standard windows?? Windows 10 on usb stick is only £87 and the professional is £115.
    Also im thinking after crimbo is done out the way getting another TI to SLI them

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    I'd go for a bigger SSD - given you're getting overkill everywhere else, seems a shame not to for the SSD too. I wouldn't bother with the hybrid drive though, get a good storage drive instead.

Other general point is when you're building an uber rig like that, don't skimp on the retailer just for the sake of a few quid free delivery - go with a retailer with an excellent returns and support policy. Places like SCAN are great if you need to scrounge the cheapest possible budget, but in your case I'd look for someone a little more customer friendly even if it's a touch more expensive.
    Thanks for advice
    To be honest id like a 1tb SSD but i'm kinda cutting it short doing my xmas shopping hence why i thought about going the way above for now may stretch to a 500gb one instead of 256 for now and then get a TB next year and swap in out in place of the 2tb seagate one. Is there any reason why you'd go external storage rather that internal (assuming thats what you mean by storage drive??)
    cheers

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KnightInd2000 View Post
    Personally I doubt that you'd notice the difference in speed between the Samsung 256GB 850 PRO SSD and an 850 Evo; and for the price you could have the 500GB version. But being as your spec is high end, I get the feeling that you've already thought of this and gone for the speed option. In this case why not get a 256GB 850 PRO M.2 NVMe for about £160? Then you are getting something noticeably quicker.

Cheers for reply
    To be honest i'm kinda Peeing in the wind with this whole build as i'm currently sat using mac book air only use windows for cad/cam at work so this is first time i've considered doing more with windows so i basically picked my motherboard cause it has lights on it that i can control with my phone (sad i no but ah well) and then spec'd the rest from the compatibility page on the MSI website and that just said about the Pro rather than the Evo and am a tad worried that come christmas break when i start building running into problems cause ive steered away from what that says. I guess thats a bit naive of me but i am completely new to this side of computer as am typically mac user and console gamer
    cheers

Thanks

It is an extremely high end computer. The X99 platform is generally only bought by people who are doing demanding computer tasks. It's primarily Intel's Workstation/Server design and the desktop version just caters to people who need the power but not features like ECC memory as well as providing an expensive option for those that want to throw money at a computer.

You haven't said what you're using it for or what your priorities are (speed/noise/price/eco-friendliness etc.) so it's difficult to make comments about the suitability of components.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
    It is an extremely high end computer. The X99 platform is generally only bought by people who are doing demanding computer tasks. It's primarily Intel's Workstation/Server design and the desktop version just caters to people who need the power but not features like ECC memory as well as providing an expensive option for those that want to throw money at a computer.

You haven't said what you're using it for or what your priorities are (speed/noise/price/eco-friendliness etc.) so it's difficult to make comments about the suitability of components.
    Just being used for gaming and maybe for some cad/cam stuff for work maybe and cause i fancy having ago at building a computer, give me summat else to do other than sit in the pub while the wifes at work christmas. Only real priority going into this was to try and keep it future proof which i guess to a certain extent i have done, i kinda just chose parts that i liked the look of hence only reason for going for that motherboard is cause of the lights built in. only thing i wished id of got different is the cpu cooler wish id have done a water cooled radiator one but ah well

Registered+
    Thanks
    • TechZilla's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte 970a DS3P
      • CPU:
      • Amd FX 6300
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Hyper x Savage DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Seagate Barracuda + Corsair Force Ls 120gb Ssd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 380x
      • PSU:
      • Evga 500w 80+
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Pro m
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XF270HU

get a 1tb hdd and either a 120gb or 250gb ssd

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TechZilla View Post
    get a 1tb hdd and either a 120gb or 250gb ssd
    Ive already said im getting a 2tb hdd and a 256gb or 500gb ssd why would a tb less be any better

Thread Information