Thread: Need some configuration advice

Thanks

Need some configuration advice

All I need your help!

I'm currently building a new pc and it's time to decide on the motherboard and CPU (I know this is usually early on but I built the case!).

I had decided on the MSI Gaming Titanium and i7 6700k configuration but then Scan threw the following package into the mix: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...aswell-e-unloc

Around £40 less than the Skylake.

However, my main use is going to be facebooking, scanning/recovering/formatting hard drives (hence why the Haswell is becoming much more attractive), watching blurays, and, of course, replacing the PS4.

I have read lots of comparisons but most are quite technical, I think Skylake would more than suit what I need but for a bit less I could get what many people are saying is the better configuration....help!

It will be watercooled eventually and overclocked, I don't think I'll need more than one or two cards (probably one GTX 980 for now) so the issue the Asus has with running 3 most likely won't apply to me.

The most important features are future proofing, m2 Sata - ideally 2 or more, plenty of usb and Sata ports, decent fps at 1080p and being able to water-cool in the future.

I know its a little overkill but want it to last a bit. I'm going to run 2x m2 Hdd's in raid and then a few quick dock bays and standard internal HDDs for things that don't need to be super fast and general storage and back ups.

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoo
    ...and it's *slow* - really slow, slower than a really slow thing swimming through treacle, one handed, and only kicking with one foot.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: Need some configuration advice

Why not simply spec a cheaper skylake build? That haswell bundle is an old motherboard that is going to limit your peripheral/external storage options.

This saves you a huge chunk for example - think what you could use that £170 saving on.

And while I'm not an expert on HDD recovery, if it's mission critical work surely you don't want to be overclocking for it? Single thread performance is probably the most important factor, which skylake rules at.

Thanks
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti Gaming Pro
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Crystal Series 680X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

What about this? It'll do everything you've mentioned. It's exactly what I'm running and I couldn't be happier.

Throw in a decent size M2 card, a graphics card of your choice and a CPU cooler and you're laughing.

Thanks

Cheers guys, so I should drop the i7 and go for the i5?

I quite like the look of the asrock board, I've only dealt with Asus and MSI before so don't know much about them but I'll give that board a good look!

I think the single thread is a good point so back to Skylake

Edit: I don't know much about overclocking, I've never done it before, I assumed overall performance would be increased across the board. I'll look into this a bit more too!
    ...and it's *slow* - really slow, slower than a really slow thing swimming through treacle, one handed, and only kicking with one foot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    However, my main use is going to be facebooking, scanning/recovering/formatting hard drives (hence why the Haswell is becoming much more attractive), watching blurays, and, of course, replacing the PS4.
    Both seem rather excessive, nothing in that list gains big benefits from anything more than a 6600k at most.

Although I don't understand the comment about the Haswell-E platform being more attractive for hard drive work. I assumed it was more SATA ports but having checked it only appears to have 8 SATA ports which is an unremarkable number at that price.

Thanks
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti Gaming Pro
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Crystal Series 680X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

I don't know much about overclocking, I've never done it before, I assumed overall performance would be increased across the board. I'll look into this a bit more too!
    Overclocking increases the chance of the CPU making a mistake. Most of the time, this isn't a problem but if you're dealing with data recovery you want 100% accuracy all the time. Either the i5 or i7 will be more than capable at standard clocks for what you're proposing.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

If you are uncertain you will overclock,you are wasting money on overclock capable parts.

I would also hold off buying a new card for a few weeks until the GTX1070 and Polaris 10 is launched.

What games are you intending to play??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
    Both seem rather excessive, nothing in that list gains big benefits from anything more than a 6600k at most.

Although I don't understand the comment about the Haswell-E platform being more attractive for hard drive work. I assumed it was more SATA ports but having checked it only appears to have 8 SATA ports which is an unremarkable number at that price.
    It has 4 m2 ports so I could utilise all of those and keep all of the sata ports free

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    If you are uncertain you will overclock,you are wasting money on overclock capable parts.

I would also hold off buying a new card for a few weeks until the GTX1070 and Polaris 10 is launched.

What games are you intending to play??
    My favourites are still mmorpg lol not really graphic intensive. But I play gta 5 (and will want 6 when it's out), battlefield and I enjoy a good racing game like project cars.

I'm not sure I will over clock but want the option there for if I want to venture into that with water cooling.

Do you know what kind of price the 1070 or polaris will be? And how long do you reckon? I'll give it a Google in the mean time as I'm in no rush to get it all built.

Thanks

It has 4 m2 ports so I could utilise all of those and keep all of the sata ports free
    No, it has a single M.2 port running at PCI-E 4x speeds.

Do you know what kind of price the 1070 or polaris will be? And how long do you reckon? I'll give it a Google in the mean time as I'm in no rush to get it all built.
    1070 is £300-325 on launch, maybe dropping to just above 970 prices.

Polaris 10 is either that price bracket or the next one below (£200-250) depending on how the performance works out and what products AMD decides to launch using it.

Thanks

I'm going to go with the K6 and the i5 after a bit more research, I'd like the i7 but the cost vs the i5 I can't really justify and the money saved can replace my useless iPad.

Bundled with a 600w psu then await the graphics card release! Hopefully ordering tomorrow so I can finish the desk off.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonigan View Post
    Overclocking increases the chance of the CPU making a mistake. Most of the time, this isn't a problem but if you're dealing with data recovery you want 100% accuracy all the time. Either the i5 or i7 will be more than capable at standard clocks for what you're proposing.
    I'd like to ditto this ↑.

My i5 3570K is fine at 4.1GHz, but clock it at 4.2GHz and strange things happen. Temps are completely fine but the odd program will misbehave and I used to get crashes for apparently no reason in 'Elite: Dangerous'.

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
    1070 is £300-325 on launch, maybe dropping to just above 970 prices.
    I think you've lost £100 somewhere...

Thread Information