• MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM 550
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1

Advice on gaming rig

Hi all! I'm helping my Brother-in Law build himself a gaming PC atm. I think we've nailed down what to go for but I thought I'd just post on here and see if anyone has any particular thoughts on it as I'm certainly no expert! The parts list can be found at:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/j6JTYr

As I say he wants something pretty beefy, running 1080p, relatively future proof as is happy to spend the money now to save in the future!

One thing I did notice and would like some advice on. When looking at the CPU (i5 6600) on Scan, it claims it has a max GPU speed of 1150 MHz. I'm not sure what this refers to on the GPU, will this be a problem with the GTX 1060 we're looking at?

Thanks in advance

Bagnaj97

Re: Advice on gaming rig

Quote Originally Posted by TheSheriff View Post
    Hi all! I'm helping my Brother-in Law build himself a gaming PC atm. I think we've nailed down what to go for but I thought I'd just post on here and see if anyone has any particular thoughts on it as I'm certainly no expert! The parts list can be found at:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/j6JTYr

As I say he wants something pretty beefy, running 1080p, relatively future proof as is happy to spend the money now to save in the future!

One thing I did notice and would like some advice on. When looking at the CPU (i5 6600) on Scan, it claims it has a max GPU speed of 1150 MHz. I'm not sure what this refers to on the GPU, will this be a problem with the GTX 1060 we're looking at?

Thanks in advance
    That HDD is only 5900 RPM - it's a lot of storage for the money, but it won't be fast. I'd add an SSD to install Windows+apps on, or at the very least get a faster drive.

If you're not planning on overclocking (unlikely as you've not added a K CPU) and you're not planning on a multi-GPU setup (SLI or crossfire) then you should be fine with an H110 or B150 chipset motherboard, I'm running an i7-6700 (non-k) on an Asus B150m-a , the £25 motherboard saving is half way to a 250G SSD.

Also that memory seems a bit pricey, http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/g...124001608g2cob is cheaper and 2400MHz (It'll only run at 2133 with a non-k CPU, but it's slightly more futureproof if it's re-used in a future build)

The max GPU speed you've mentioned is the max speed of the Intel integrated graphics in the CPU. It won't have any bearing at all on a discrete GPU such as the 1060.
    Last edited by Bagnaj97; 13-09-2016 at 11:29 AM.

3. Received thanks from:

TheSheriff (14-09-2016)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I would say get a RX480 8GB - on average as time progresses AMD cards seem to hold their own much better than the Nvidia 60 series cards. I had a GTX660,and have a GTX960 and the AMD equivalents have faired better. The same as seen if you compare the GTX660TI and the HD7950.

Edit!!

Having said that - what is the total budget??

It might be possible to get a GTX1070 into the build too.

But,OFC what games do they want to play??
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 13-09-2016 at 12:27 PM.

5. Received thanks from:

TheSheriff (14-09-2016)

Thanks

One thing I did notice and would like some advice on. When looking at the CPU (i5 6600) on Scan, it claims it has a max GPU speed of 1150 MHz. I'm not sure what this refers to on the GPU
    It refers to the maximum clock speed. If you're going to be using that GPU heavily (especially alongside the CPU part of the chip) then you might want to consider the 6600k with it's increased maximum TDP.

With a GTX 1060 in the system it's unlikely you'll be using it much unless he wants to keep power consumption down by taking the ravenous 1060 out for games that run fine on the 6600's GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagnaj97 View Post
    (It'll only run at 2133 with a non-k CPU, but it's slightly more futureproof if it's re-used in a future build)
    Do you have a source on that? I know Intel has frustratingly limited faster memory to Z170 but I wasn't aware it only worked with K-series CPUs.

you should be fine with an H110 or B150 chipset motherboard
    H110 comes with a lot of compromises but the B150 boards are worth considering. H170 is often a similar price to Z170 and drops faster memory support so it frequently doesn't make sense.

You definitely want a 240GB+ SSD.

Post-Windows 8 OEM licences are only for people building systems to sell. Microsoft have dropped the retail copies down to the same price (well, ~£5 more) though, so you get the benefit of being able to legitimately transfer it between systems and support services.

It's worth pointing out that PCPartPicker listings are somewhat patchy in the UK and I've noticed you don't have any manual entries. You may want to look on the shop websites to see the full range of what's available for options like case and motherboard if you haven't done so already.

It seems like a fairly cheap wi-fi adapter there considering how much you're spending on the other bits. Is it just a backup?
    Last edited by EndlessWaves; 13-09-2016 at 06:37 PM. Reason: typo

7. Received thanks from:

TheSheriff (14-09-2016)

Bagnaj97

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
    I know Intel has frustrating limited faster memory to Z170 but I wasn't aware it only worked with K-series CPUs.
    I can't find a definitive source, but it seems you're right - you can run > 2133 memory with Z170 and a non-k chip.

If op is definitely getting an i5-6600 then I'd still suggest a B150 board, the benefits of Z170 aren't worth the cost.
    If you're spending a bit more to get a Z170 board then spend a bit more and get an i5-6600k. The k chip has a slight base clock speed bump (3.3 vs 3.5GHz) and you have the possibility of overclocking.

I wouldn't recommend an H170 board as they're priced too close to Z170 boards.

9. Received thanks from:

TheSheriff (14-09-2016)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • TheSheriff's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z97-PRO
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4670k
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB + 4TB HDDs + 128GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM 550
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1

That HDD is only 5900 RPM - it's a lot of storage for the money, but it won't be fast. I'd add an SSD to install Windows+apps on, or at the very least get a faster drive.

If you're not planning on overclocking (unlikely as you've not added a K CPU) and you're not planning on a multi-GPU setup (SLI or crossfire) then you should be fine with an H110 or B150 chipset motherboard, I'm running an i7-6700 (non-k) on an Asus B150m-a , the £25 motherboard saving is half way to a 250G SSD.

Also that memory seems a bit pricey, http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/g...124001608g2cob is cheaper and 2400MHz (It'll only run at 2133 with a non-k CPU, but it's slightly more futureproof if it's re-used in a future build)

The max GPU speed you've mentioned is the max speed of the Intel integrated graphics in the CPU. It won't have any bearing at all on a discrete GPU such as the 1060.
    Excellent point, I'd overlooked that! So something like this seems like it would fit the bill much better, and a bit cheaper if a little less storage

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3tb-...e-85ms-ncq-oem

With regards to the SSD I don't think he's too bothered by that, though the option is always there I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    I would say get a RX480 8GB - on average as time progresses AMD cards seem to hold their own much better than the Nvidia 60 series cards. I had a GTX660,and have a GTX960 and the AMD equivalents have faired better. The same as seen if you compare the GTX660TI and the HD7950.

Edit!!

Having said that - what is the total budget??

It might be possible to get a GTX1070 into the build too.

But,OFC what games do they want to play??
    That's interesting, I've only ever had Nvidia so I tend to default there I must say! Max budget is probably more or less what it currently is- around £1000, though any savings are always good! I think he'll be playing a variety of mainstream stuff- he's picked up No Man's Sky recently for example and has gotten rid of his Playstation in favour of the PC so wants something that can play all that kind of stuff well for a fair while into the future!

Post-Windows 8 OEM licences are only for people building systems to sell. Microsoft have dropped the retail copies down to the same price (well, ~£5 more) though, so you get the benefit of being able to legitimately transfer it between systems and support services.

It's worth pointing out that PCPartPicker listings are somewhat patchy in the UK and I've noticed you don't have any manual entries. You may want to look on the shop websites to see the full range of what's available for options like case and motherboard if you haven't done so already.

It seems like a fairly cheap wi-fi adapter there considering how much you're spending on the other bits. Is it just a backup?
    Yeah the inclusion of Windows there is a placeholder really just to keep in mind that there's the OS to buy as well!

We have been looking directly on websites, I just find part picker a useful place to put it all together and see what I've got!

With regards to the wifi adapter, it's not a backup! Do you have any recommendations for something fairly cheap that will do the job a bit better, tbh that's there because it's cheap and has good reviews!

I can't find a definitive source, but it seems you're right - you can run > 2133 memory with Z170 and a non-k chip.

If op is definitely getting an i5-6600 then I'd still suggest a B150 board, the benefits of Z170 aren't worth the cost.
    If you're spending a bit more to get a Z170 board then spend a bit more and get an i5-6600k. The k chip has a slight base clock speed bump (3.3 vs 3.5GHz) and you have the possibility of overclocking.

I wouldn't recommend an H170 board as they're priced too close to Z170 boards.
    Okay that's interesting, so perhaps something like this

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...ek-lan-usb-c-(

What is the difference anyway between the B150 and the H170/Z170, I've seen the H/Z before, but not the B!

Bagnaj97

What is the difference anyway between the B150 and the H170/Z170, I've seen the H/Z before, but not the B!
    https://rog.asus.com/24062016/maximu...-motherboards/ That link has a table comparing the common chipsets (there's also Q150 and Q170 but you don't see them often)

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/mainbo...o-gaming-aura/ That shows that B150 doesn't impact performance at all compared to Z170.

Z170 is all-singing-all-dancing
    H170 or B150 is fine if you're not overclocking or multi-GPU, B150 is usually cheaper.
    H110 is too limited

https://www.cclonline.com/product/20...hics-/MBD1875/ That's a little cheaper than the Asus you linked, still has m.2 and USB C, not a lot in it though. It also has an Intel NIC rather than Realtek, a minor thing really but Intel tends to be more reliable.
    Last edited by Bagnaj97; 13-09-2016 at 03:29 PM.

12. Received thanks from:

TheSheriff (13-09-2016)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • TheSheriff's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z97-PRO
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4670k
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM 550
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1

https://rog.asus.com/24062016/maximu...-motherboards/ That link has a table comparing the common chipsets (there's also Q150 and Q170 but you don't see them often)

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/mainbo...o-gaming-aura/ That shows that B150 doesn't impact performance at all compared to Z170.

Z170 is all-singing-all-dancing
    H170 or B150 is fine if you're not overclocking or multi-GPU, B150 is usually cheaper.
    H110 is too limited

https://www.cclonline.com/product/20...hics-/MBD1875/ That's a little cheaper than the Asus you linked, still has m.2 and USB C, not a lot in it though. It also has an Intel NIC rather than Realtek, a minor thing really but Intel tends to be more reliable.
    Okay yeah it looks like B150 is the way to go I think then! Thanks for the help

Thanks

The k chip has a slight base clock speed bump (3.3 vs 3.5GHz) and you have the possibility of overclocking.
    The 6600 gets better turbo bins though, so Turbo'd speeds for both are identical at 3.6/3.7/3.8/3.9

With regards to the SSD I don't think he's too bothered by that, though the option is always there I guess!
    It's definitely worth having if the computer is used for anything other than playing games.

That's interesting, I've only ever had Nvidia so I tend to default there I must say!
    The trouble with nVidia at the moment is the variable refresh rate situation.

Variable refresh rate is a technology that allows a screen to refresh whenever the game generates a new frame rather than at a fixed interval like 60hz. This results in a smoother picture with absolutely no performance hit so it's a nice improvement.

The technology was introduced with nVidia under the name G-sync. AMD then pushed to get the technolgy incorporated into the DisplayPort and HDMI standards and to be made part of the standard monitor electronics. (DisplayPort calls the tech Adaptive Sync, AMD advertise it as Freesync).

Unfortunately the new standardised version is incompatible with the original G-sync version and nVidia have yet to announce they'll be supporting it. Nobody has been able to show any difference in performance between the two.

So nVidia right now aren't a very appealing mainstream prospect right now because variable refresh rate monitors that work with their cards cost approximately £80 more like for like (and £200 more cheapest to cheapest) and will never work with anything other than nVidia cards.

With regards to the wifi adapter, it's not a backup! Do you have any recommendations for something fairly cheap that will do the job a bit better, tbh that's there because it's cheap and has good reviews!
    Wi-fi is a two way protocol so it depends on what his router supports or what it's likely to be swapped for in future but you may want to consider newer 802.11AC models.

15. Received thanks from:

TheSheriff (14-09-2016)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • TheSheriff's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z97-PRO
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4670k
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM 550
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1

The 6600 gets better turbo bins though, so Turbo'd speeds for both are identical at 3.6/3.7/3.8/3.9

It's definitely worth having if the computer is used for anything other than playing games.

The trouble with nVidia at the moment is the variable refresh rate situation.

Variable refresh rate is a technology that allows a screen to refresh whenever the game generates a new frame rather than at a fixed interval like 60hz. This results in a smoother picture with absolutely no performance hit so it's a nice improvement.

The technology was introduced with nVidia under the name G-sync. AMD then pushed to get the technolgy incorporated into the DisplayPort and HDMI standards and to be made part of the standard monitor electronics. (DisplayPort calls the tech Adaptive Sync, AMD advertise it as Freesync).

Unfortunately the new standardised version is incompatible with the original G-sync version and nVidia have yet to announce they'll be supporting it. Nobody has been able to show any difference in performance between the two.

So nVidia right now aren't a very appealing mainstream prospect right now because variable refresh rate monitors that work with their cards cost approximately £80 more like for like (and £200 more cheapest to cheapest) and will never work with anything other than nVidia cards.

Wi-fi is a two way protocol so it depends on what his router supports or what it's likely to be swapped for in future but you may want to consider newer 802.11AC models.
    Okay I'll have a look through all this stuff. Thanks for the advice!

Bagnaj97

If you're ok with refurbished kit then this motherboard seems a real bargain - http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...170xp-sli.html
    It's literally half the price of a new one, you'll struggle to get a B150 board at that price, let alone Z170!
    Last edited by Bagnaj97; 14-09-2016 at 04:35 PM.

Thread Information