Thread: Adding second video card, Windows stopping device (code 43)

Registered+
    Thanks

Adding second video card, Windows stopping device (code 43)

Hello all, I'm on my second year of my 3XS build and love my system to no end.

Recently I decided to add a secondary video card to my system for rendering purposes (Octane Render uses solely GPU, suggests having a primary card for display and secondary for rendering).

The card that my system shipped with is a Quadro 2000, and I've added an GTX 760 - however the card is disables by code 43.

I've uninstalled and re-installed the latest drivers for both, but I constantly keep getting the 43 on the GTX/secondary card.

I looked online and some people suggest flashing the BIOS, but I am unsure if that jeopardizes my stable OC.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions as to a solution to code 43 and/or advise in the flashing of the BIOS (this would be my first time).

Thank you for your time,

- Fred

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Adding second video card, Windows stopping device (code 43)

Update: I've just installed the graphics card on another computer and it is running fine.
    That leads me to conclude that it must be a motherboard issue, so updating my BIOS is in order.

Could anyone point me in the right direction as to the steps necessary to back up my BIOS, and then upgrade it?
    Hopefully this will not mess up the OC that the fine people at 3XS did.

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Unless they've changed it recently the quadro and geforce drivers conflict with each other. You won't get it working.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by herulach View Post
    Unless they've changed it recently the quadro and geforce drivers conflict with each other. You won't get it working.
    Really?
    On the computer that I just tested (with a different motherboard) the GTX on is using the exact same Quadro as me (2000), and recognises both cards without a problem or conflicts.
    I was even able to run Octane and have problem-free renders right off the bat just a few minutes ago.

Here's a screenshot of the Device Manager on this showing the lack of Code 43 (on the test computer).

This leads me to believe that it's the motherboard needing an update maybe?

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Ok, I was going to suggest the same thing as herulach but if you got it to work in another machine...

Go and check what resources it was using in that machine (rant: why can Microsoft not use expandable dialog boxes for everything) and see if you can see what is conflicting in your machine. Although I though modern devices were meant to sort themselves out; it's been years since I've had to force resource usage: in fact in a quick look through device manager I wasn't able to find a single device where the use auto settings checkbox as enabled.

Flashing the BIOS is unlikely to be your problem and it would wipe your OC settings (although you could write those down).

6. Received thanks from:

FredHuergo (28-03-2014)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    Ok, I was going to suggest the same thing as herulach but if you got it to work in another machine...

Go and check what resources it was using in that machine (rant: why can Microsoft not use expandable dialog boxes for everything) and see if you can see what is conflicting in your machine. Although I though modern devices were meant to sort themselves out; it's been years since I've had to force resource usage: in fact in a quick look through device manager I wasn't able to find a single device where the use auto settings checkbox as enabled.

Flashing the BIOS is unlikely to be your problem and it would wipe your OC settings (although you could write those down).

Hey Kompukare, thanks for helping out.

Yeah ideally I'd like to not flash the BIOS, I'm saving that as a last resort kind of thing.

When I get back to mine I'll check the resources. Having never modified/forced resource usage before, what should I look into chaning it from/to?

I'm also going to attempt to run the GTX by itself without the Quadro, and see if I get the error or not.
    Same goes for trying in different PCI slots.

Registered+
    Thanks

Consider this submission solved!

What I did, before resorting to any BIOS work (thank god) was load the GTX in the first PCI-E slot and boot like that.
    I installed the drivers, restarted, and was greeted with a non-problematic display.
    After that, shut down, and put the Quadro 2000 in the third PCI-E slot and hooked up the monitors to it (wanting the GTX for rendering and not display).

Win7 detected the Quadro 2000 without a problem (since it was running it before with the latest drivers) and now am no longer getting code 43.

Thank you all for your insight - more than anything I'm happy that the Quadro and GTX are playing nicely

Thread Information