Thread: Faulty Motherboard / Unhappy experience

Registered+
    Thanks

Faulty Motherboard / Unhappy experience

I've used Scan for years both personally and professionally, only had one minor run in with a sales guy a long time ago, soon resolved by the manager.

I've never had to return or use RMA services (didn't even know what it stood for until recently!), however I have recently got a faulty motherboard. I ensured proper testing before concluding its the MB and even got a second opinion.

I spoke to the two technical support people, they have been helpful throughout however I was told I would get an RMA email and would send the MB back for a new one. I didn't receive the email and called the next day and was told because this purchase was in store I would need to go in store. Why was I not told this the day before?

I did go in store because I was passing through and I thought I could come in store again however I won't be able to for at least two weeks, I'm very far away.

At the moment I'm using a basic MB that doesn't even have USB 3.0 support!

My query is why can I not just send it back like I was told? If you don't help I've just lost 100 and something pound not to mention the computer can't do everything I expected it to do until I get a replacement.

Not happy -.-
    Last edited by Mark@SCAN; 31-10-2014 at 11:17 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Miffed a bit regarding a faulty Motherboard

Anyone??

Scan Computers Technical/Returns Mark@SCAN's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Mark@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE Z97
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB Samsung SM951 NVME & 1x 4TB WD Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone SST-ST75F-G Strider 750w
      • Case:
      • SilverStone FT03B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2711H
      • Internet:
      • SKY Fibre Unlimited

If an item was purchased in store you can still post it back to us if you do not wish to return in person, please note however you would be required to cover the cost of delivery.

We would generally only offer a collection for item's purchased online for delivery. I can see that you were e-mailed an RMA number yesterday, please dis-regard the collection e-mail, as above this would only apply to orders that were for delivery originally.

Regards

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark@SCAN View Post
    If an item was purchased in store you can still post it back to us if you do not wish to return in person, please note however you would be required to cover the cost of delivery.

We would generally only offer a collection for item's purchased online for delivery. I can see that you were e-mailed an RMA number yesterday, please dis-regard the collection e-mail, as above this would only apply to orders that were for delivery originally.

Regards
    That's annoying, I qualify and receive free delivery when I order online. So I'm pretty much disadvantaged.

Can't say I'm happy about this, so far I'm not having a good experience.

Registered+
    Thanks

I've now had a UPS confirmation email - I take it this is invalid?

-.-

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks for completely ignoring me.

Just to recap so far:

- I've posted asking for help
    - Your way of helping was intervening with the process to ensure I don't get a collection allocation
    - I received the collection allocation email, however, had I not come back here first I would have gone to the drop off point and been embarrassed, thanks to you.
    - I've gone and posted it myself now.

I've got multiple accounts and spend a lot with Scan, I'm set to require more parts and systems soon, this is keeping me on hold, and now thanks to you I've lost confidence in a company I really respected.

What is your manager's name, number and email?

Thanks
    • Mick@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k @ 4.7 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Samsung 840 / 2TB Seagate SATA III ST2000DM001 / 120GB Vertex Plus
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB MSI 290X
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modular Infiniti 650Watt
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design ARC MIDI R2 Tower Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite G2773HS-2
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

Re: Faulty Motherboard / Unhappy experience

Sibbs10,

I am sorry for the delay in relying to your post.

Just to recap the situation, I can see that you purchased goods from our store in person on the 16th of October. You contacted our returns team on the 22nd and requested a return for faulty components.

We noted that your order was purchased in store so promptly called you back to advise that the goods needed to be returned in person or by post at your own cost, an email was also sent to the email address we had on file to follow this up as we were not successful in contacting you over the telephone.

You then contacted Scan on the 27th of October to request a returns number and one was provided, due to your address not being a local one my colleague incorrectly assumed that you had purchased the goods via mail order for which we apologise, however as per Mark's reply to your thread on this forum we advised that you would need to return the goods in person or at your own cost.

Please note that collections are only offered to orders placed via distance selling, this was made clear to you in the above post by Mark.

I understand that some confusion has arisen as a collection was incorrectly offered for which I can only apologise.

Kind regards,

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mick@SCAN View Post
    Sibbs10,

I am sorry for the delay in relying to your post.

Just to recap the situation, I can see that you purchased goods from our store in person on the 16th of October. You contacted our returns team on the 22nd and requested a return for faulty components.

We noted that your order was purchased in store so promptly called you back to advise that the goods needed to be returned in person or by post at your own cost, an email was also sent to the email address we had on file to follow this up as we were not successful in contacting you over the telephone.

You then contacted Scan on the 27th of October to request a returns number and one was provided, due to your address not being a local one my colleague incorrectly assumed that you had purchased the goods via mail order for which we apologise, however as per Mark's reply to your thread on this forum we advised that you would need to return the goods in person or at your own cost.

Please note that collections are only offered to orders placed via distance selling, this was made clear to you in the above post by Mark.

I understand that some confusion has arisen as a collection was incorrectly offered for which I can only apologise.

Kind regards,
    Mick there's a few factual errors in your statement:

When I was advised of an RMA I was not promptly called back. I had to call back the next day as I receieved no email and was told I would "usually" have to come in store.

I tried to come there and couldn't so rang back again a few days later, after double checking by Patrick he confirmed the email was noted down incorrectly and gave me an RMA.

I received the RMA email as well as the UPS email, I assume without Mark's intervention it would have gone through, which means he would have cancelled it despite it going through. Technically, had I not asked for help here it would have been valid. This is the point that shows poor customer service.

I've not seen in the terms where it says this, and it doesn't really make sense either. Had I known this I would have done the usual mail order.

Lesson for a customer (that's if you use Scan); mail order and don't ask for help!

Thanks
    • Mark@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • SilverStone FT03B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2711H
      • Internet:
      • SKY Fibre Unlimited

We accept that mistakes were made and for that we apologise, when you first called us 22/10 about the problem we should have realized there and then on the telephone that your order was a counter sale and not mail order. Had this been the case our advice would have been either - bring it back to the store in person OR if you didn't want to travel in person it could be returned at your own cost. If you were to bring it back in person an RMA would not be required.

We did send an e-mail to you shortly after your first conversation on 22/10 however on checking it seems you never received this as for some reason we had your e-mail address down as ********@blueyonder.co.co.uk (removed beginning to protect your privacy) obviously this meant it bounced back as un-deliverable a few days later 24/10.

In the meantime you posted on this forum 24/10 out of hours (friday evening), then again in hours 27/10 on Monday afternoon. Following your second post on this forum you called us 27/10 and spoke to a different staff member who realizing the mistake with the e-mail address issued an RMA and sent to your correct e-mail address hence why you got these e-mails but not the first after speaking to the first staff member. Again it was not spotted that this was a counter sale and not mail order hence why you were offered a collection.

I then replied on the forum the following day 28/10 in the morning @ 9:43 and after seeing your posts from Friday evening and Monday afternoon and realizing what had happened , you acknowledged my reply later the same day presumably understanding you were not entitled to a collection as you expressed your unhappiness.

Despite this you had replied to the collection e-mail, and as such we arranged the drop off with UPS, your comments I intervened in your post #6 are not true, the drop off with UPS was and still remains active however I can see that you decided to return it to us anyway which ultimately given the nature of your order is the correct thing to do.

Once again we apologise sincerely for the errors in relation to this return and for the confusing and contradictory comments, unfortunately this can happen when dealing with multiple people over different methods of communication telephone, e-mail and via the forum.

Regards

Registered+
    Thanks

We accept that mistakes were made and for that we apologise, when you first called us 22/10 about the problem we should have realized there and then on the telephone that your order was a counter sale and not mail order. Had this been the case our advice would have been either - bring it back to the store in person OR if you didn't want to travel in person it could be returned at your own cost. If you were to bring it back in person an RMA would not be required.

We did send an e-mail to you shortly after your first conversation on 22/10 however on checking it seems you never received this as for some reason we had your e-mail address down as ********@blueyonder.co.co.uk (removed beginning to protect your privacy) obviously this meant it bounced back as un-deliverable a few days later 24/10.

In the meantime you posted on this forum 24/10 out of hours (friday evening), then again in hours 27/10 on Monday afternoon. Following your second post on this forum you called us 27/10 and spoke to a different staff member who realizing the mistake with the e-mail address issued an RMA and sent to your correct e-mail address hence why you got these e-mails but not the first after speaking to the first staff member. Again it was not spotted that this was a counter sale and not mail order hence why you were offered a collection.

I then replied on the forum the following day 28/10 in the morning @ 9:43 and after seeing your posts from Friday evening and Monday afternoon and realizing what had happened , you acknowledged my reply later the same day presumably understanding you were not entitled to a collection as you expressed your unhappiness.

Despite this you had replied to the collection e-mail, and as such we arranged the drop off with UPS, your comments I intervened in your post #6 are not true, the drop off with UPS was and still remains active however I can see that you decided to return it to us anyway which ultimately given the nature of your order is the correct thing to do.

Once again we apologise sincerely for the errors in relation to this return and for the confusing and contradictory comments, unfortunately this can happen when dealing with multiple people over different methods of communication telephone, e-mail and via the forum.

Regards
    Mark, at least you now admit it was below acceptable standards to treat a customer, not a successful outcome for me however, especially that it took it this far for something so simple.

In future I suggest when you make a post to respond when asked something instead of letting it linger on, it's your intervention that made this difficult when it's meant to relieve things.

I'm hesitant to ask but can someone from Scan check the RMA status? Should be with you by now.

Thanks
    • Mark@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • SilverStone FT03B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2711H
      • Internet:
      • SKY Fibre Unlimited

The item does not yet show as booked in.

This could mean either: it has been delivered but not yet booked in by our returns department (this can take 24/48 hours after delivery) OR your item has not yet been delivered to us yet (please check for a proof of delivery with your carrier)

Please note that our returns department will e-mail you once your item has been booked in by them.

Regards
    Last edited by Mark@SCAN; 31-10-2014 at 11:17 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks

The item does not yet show as booked in.

This could mean either: it has been delivered but not yet booked in by our returns department (this can take 24/48 hours after delivery) OR your item has not yet been delivered to us yet (please check for a proof of delivery with your carrier)

Please note that our returns department will e-mail you once your item has been booked in by them.

Regards
    In the time it took you to create that speculation you could have found out what was actually going on.

Why is this post marked resolved? Change it back, it isn't resolved at all.

This is tiring.

Scan please invest more in customer service training!!!

Registered+
    Thanks

This is resolved. delete or archive please.
    Last edited by Sibbs10; 04-11-2014 at 08:04 PM.

Thread Information