Thread: RMA test not sufficient

Thanks

Unhappy RMA test not sufficient

Hello

I recently sent my MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Twin Frozr for RMA as it is faulty. (RMA: 348118)
    I read up on the test carried out using the link provided to me via email however it states that the card was only benchmark tested. When running games such as Outlast, Mirrors Edge and Crysis along with basic tasks such as watching YouTube videos and selecting HD, the graphics card's drivers crash (I tested 7 Nvidia driver versions ensuring I correctly uninstalled the old drivers in safe mode). Many people who I have spoken to on both the MSI Gaming forum and Linus tech tips forum who own GTX 760's have had similar issues in which they got sent replacement cards which solved their issue.

I went into great detail on what I have tested and troubleshooted within my initial support email before RMA was initially accepted.

Furthermore sise the graphics card is not being used in my computer at the moment, causing me to have use my APU, no issues have occurred and everything is stable which reinforces the fact that the graphics card is faulty as it somewhat rules out a faulty PSU.

I also tested a different GPU (Nvidia Geforce GT 220) in my computer before requesting RMA and the issue did not occur.

I appreciate it is hard for a company with limited time to test these aspects, so what are my options from this point? Sending to MSI?

Thank you, Josh
    Last edited by Mark@SCAN; 29-01-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks
    • Mick@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k @ 4.7 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Samsung 840 / 2TB Seagate SATA III ST2000DM001 / 120GB Vertex Plus
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB MSI 290X
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modular Infiniti 650Watt
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design ARC MIDI R2 Tower Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite G2773HS-2
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

Re: RMA test not sufficient

Pearsonia,

Having checked the details from our engineers, I can confirm that they tested the card on both Heaven Benchmark (which you reported the problem occurred in) and Furmark.

Heaven was started, exited and re-started several times and then left running overnight for a total of 20 hours, at no point did the card crash with any errors. The card was then tested in Furmark the following day for one hour.

This could suggest that another component is causing the issue, do you have access to a similar card in terms of power draw that you could test with your system?

Kind regards,

Thanks

Re: RMA test not sufficient

Hello Mick

I do not have a similar card in terms of power usage however if the issue was with the PSU, motherboard or CPU then issues would likely still occur with the computer's APU.
    Just to add, the RAM is also in it's correct dual channel configuration.

Thanks, Josh

Thread Information