Thread: Terrible Customer Service

Thanks

Angry Terrible Customer Service

RMA Number: 352167

Regarding the above RMA reference, I returned a motherboard that was deemed faulty by one of your technicians.

I requested assistance with this as I am currently at a loss of earnings due to not being able to use my home computer for freelance work. I was informed that the motherboard would have to be returned to the manufacturer for further diagnosis and to be repaired or replaced.

“Under the Sale of Goods Act, the retailer must either repair or replace faulty goods 'within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience'.”

I would like to inform you that this is in fact causing me great inconvenience as I am currently at loss of earnings due to not having a working computer.

I am now entitled to one of the following:

• A reduction on purchase price of a new unit
    • Money back minus the amount of usage I have had from the goods (approximately 1 year)

Please note since I am a managed account customer I would have expected better assistance in the way of resolving this issue (although this is irrelevent as this is a personal issue I will take it into consideration in future).

Your ticket response time is 1 day + this is unacceptable. Also I noticed that you confirmed in another thread that ALL asus motherboard replacements are handled by scan

Regards
    Last edited by stuffx; 03-03-2015 at 05:14 PM.

Scan Computers Technical/Returns Mark@SCAN's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Mark@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE Z97
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB Samsung SM951 NVME & 1x 4TB WD Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone SST-ST75F-G Strider 750w
      • Case:
      • SilverStone FT03B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2711H
      • Internet:
      • SKY Fibre Unlimited

Re: Terrible Customer Service

Hi,

Having investigated this RMA, your original request was for the board to be credited so that you could purchase a new one. As we had explained to you already via e-mail a credit at this stage is not an option unfortunately as your original purchase was almost 12 months ago.

We will now arrange to have the board repaired or replaced under the terms of the manufactures warranty, I should add that no further diagnosis is required as we have already confirmed the board to be defective when tested against your reported fault. Again these points have been explained to you via e-mail prior to your post.

At this point we have been in possession of your motherboard for 3 working days and at this stage do not consider this to be unreasonable. Please note that the sale of goods act which you have quoted does not provide any specific time frame in which a repair or replacement should be provided only that it should be done so within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience.

Whilst we of course apologise for any inconvenience caused as a result of a failure with a product supplied this is something that I hope you will appreciate is beyond our control, and with equipment of this nature can occur from time to time.

Please note that the other remedies available to you under the sale of goods act would normally only be applicable should a repair or replacement not be possible which is not the case.

Finally having checked all correspondence in regards to this RMA each and every reply has been within 24 hours and yes all ASUS motherboard replacements are handled by SCAN?

Regards

Thanks

I have been caused significant inconvenience by this issue and I am happy to prove it. The motherboard must have been faulty from the day of purchase as I had not used the HDMI port untill recently. If you feel as though you are happy with the level of customer service you are currently offering then this is the last time I will purchase anything from scan.

Here is a quick list of the ways I have been caused inconvenience.

1. I have had to dismantle my PC and remove the faulty motherboard
    2. I have had to package and pay for insured postage to return this faulty item
    3. I am unable to carry out my part time freelance job as I no longer have a working system to do so this has resulted in loss of earning which I can prove by having unfinished jobs on freelance websites and other freelance work.
    4. If and when I receive a replacement I will have to spend time to rebuild my system
    5. I will also have to purchase new thermal compound to re-apply to my processor

All of the above are due to you selling me a faulty part. You should have immediately rectified this issue.

If you feel as though the above list is NOT and inconvenience then I would seriously question your morals. When you realise that it has actually cause me a great inconvenience you will realise also that you are in fact in breach of the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

If this issue is not resolved ASAP I will proceed accordingly.
    Last edited by stuffx; 03-03-2015 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks
    • Mick@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k @ 4.7 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Samsung 840 / 2TB Seagate SATA III ST2000DM001 / 120GB Vertex Plus
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB MSI 290X
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modular Infiniti 650Watt
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design ARC MIDI R2 Tower Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite G2773HS-2
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

stuffx,

I am sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the service Scan are providing, looking at the details, Scan are in full compliance with the Sale of Goods act.

Scan need to be provided with a reasonable opportunity to provide a repair or replacement for the product in question, as Scan have only been in possession of the item for 3 working days you should allow Scan a reasonable opportunity to seek the above remedies first.

Kind regards,

Thanks

Its the "we don't care it, could take 28 days" attitude that is the real issue give me an idea of how long its going to take? Maybe in this case push it along? there is no assistance with this matter what so ever.

Thanks
    • Mick@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k @ 4.7 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Samsung 840 / 2TB Seagate SATA III ST2000DM001 / 120GB Vertex Plus
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB MSI 290X
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modular Infiniti 650Watt
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design ARC MIDI R2 Tower Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite G2773HS-2
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

stuffx,

I can understand your frustration, Scan cannot provide a definitive ETA on obtaining a repair or replacement Motherboard for you at this moment in time, however I will escalate your query with our supplier returns team in the morning to ensure that your Motherboard is returned to the manufacturer without delay. I can only provide you with an assurance that Scan always act in the best interest of it's customers first and will ensure that every measure is taken to secure a repair or replacement product within the fastest possible turn around time.

Kind regards,

Thanks

According to Mark, ASUS motherboards don't need to be returned to the manufacturer?? And you have the same motherboard in stock... why not despatch it immediately?

So you are saying its to be sent to the manufacturer and mark is saying that you don't need to send it back to the manufacturer... which one is it?
    Last edited by stuffx; 04-03-2015 at 09:44 AM.

Thanks
    • Mark@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • SilverStone FT03B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2711H
      • Internet:
      • SKY Fibre Unlimited

This was a reply to a post from another user on another thread about where customer's should return ASUS motherboards i.e. return themselves directly to ASUS or return to SCAN as the reseller.

You seem to have taken what I am saying out of context. We process any returns for goods that are faulty on your behalf with the relevant supplier/manufacture - your return is made to SCAN and not directly with the manufacture - in this case ASUS.

A replacement board is being dispatched for you today and should be with you tomorrow or Friday at the latest, this is well within our quoted time frame.

28 Day's is the absolute maximum we would expect any return to take and anything over this time frame is what in regards to the sale of goods act would be considered "unreasonable"

Regards
    Last edited by Mark@SCAN; 04-03-2015 at 01:16 PM.

Thanks

So if you are despatching one today then why was I told it needed to be returned to the manufacturer in the first place?
    Last edited by stuffx; 04-03-2015 at 12:03 PM.

Thanks
    • Mark@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • SilverStone FT03B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2711H
      • Internet:
      • SKY Fibre Unlimited

Sometimes it is necessary to return discontinued or EOL (end of life) products back through the supply chain for repair or replacement when we no longer stock the product.

As this is an older Z87 Maximus VI HERO that has since been replaced with a Z97 Maximus VII Hero maybe it was thought the original board purchased was no longer available.

It was only your above post this morning that alerted me to the board purchased originally despite being an older discontinued model still in fact being in stock.

I chased up with our returns department this morning who advised that a replacement invoice was already due to be completed and replacement shipped today.

Regards

Thanks

I offered to pay the difference and delivery cost for another board but was refused, anyway I am done with this. Not a happy customer will be buying elswhere in future. Just hope none of my equiptment I currently have from scan goes wrong because I would seriously consider paying to have it repaired elshwere.

Also I have purchased another board form a competitior as I was totally left in the dark as to how long it would take to provide me with a working board so now I have to sort that out aswell.

Sending me a Z97 instead of a Z87 as a gesture of good will for my inconveniece would be the least I expect.
    Last edited by stuffx; 04-03-2015 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks
    • Mark@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • SilverStone FT03B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2711H
      • Internet:
      • SKY Fibre Unlimited

You asked for an instant credit on an 11+ month old motherboard, this request was quite rightly declined and an explanation given for this.

In your first contact to us where you had asked for a credit you even said "Sorry to rush this situation but I am in need of this resolving quickly " this would imply you knew what you were asking wasn't entirely reasonable under the circumstances.

Whilst we fully appreciate the inconvenience of having a faulty product and the need for having a replacement quickly, this is something which is beyond our control and something that when purchasing components to build a system in component form you need to accept a delay is a possibility should a fault ever arise when components need to be returned for warranty service.

I can't understand why you would consider paying out of your own pocket to have an item that is covered under warranty repaired when it can be repaired or replaced free of charge by your place of purchase, but it is your choice to do so if you wish. Please however bare in mind that in doing so this would limit your ability to make a further warranty claim in the future.

I am sorry to hear that you have decided to purchase from a competitor, and although I cannot comment for all I am confident that the majority of our competitors operate a similar policy for returns to SCAN and would not provide a refund or an advanced replacement for an 11+ month old product when an identical replacement could be provided instead.

I am afraid that we cannot agree to your request for a Z97 and can confirm that an identical replacement Z87 is being shipped out for you today. This has been done 4 working days after your returned item was booked in, tested and confirmed to be faulty.

I am sorry that we could not reach an agreement on this but I feel this thread has now run it's course and as such will be locked from further replies.

Regards

13. Received thanks from:

Biscuit (06-03-2015),Jonj1611 (16-03-2015),MrRockliffe (04-03-2015),Ulti (21-03-2015)

Thread Information