Thread: RMA woes

Thanks

Unhappy RMA woes

Hello, my name is Ger,

Original order was for a AMD HD 7990 back in late 2013.
    I paid £479 for this card. It was a part of a new rebuild to last me a long time without out any need for upgrades. The card was amazing, the build was fantastic.

18 months later, the PC started shutting down irregularly and I traced the problem back to the 7990. I started a Query (1220687) which very quickly turned into an RMA (368202) process and the 7990 was collected and sent back to Scan.co.uk . Very quick and professional.

Scan.co.uk received and tested the card and determined the card was faulty.

Scan.co.uk emailed me this
    I am writing to inform you that unfortunately the LN 50752 "6GB XFX HD7990 FX-799A-XNF9" is no longer available. However we can suggest a LN 55248 "3GB GAINW GTX780Ti PHANTOM", as a replacement.
    Very nice of Scan.co.uk to suggest a replacement but I wasnt enthusiastic about the replacement offer.
    The Benchmarks highly favour my card 7990.
    Also the product was not for sale on the website, if it wasn't retail stock, it could have been pre-owned, ex-repair, or refurbished.

I declined the offer and hoping to solve this issue quickly I explained
    The 7990 is a dual GPU card which is a combination of two cards into one.
    The two cards available that closely match would be two LN53821 "XFX Radeon R9 280X Boost AMD Graphics Card - 3GB".
    Two of these cards would a 280X Crossfire set up which would have the same VRAM 6GB and GPU performance as my previous card.

Unfortunately these cards are not in stock and I only have the space for one card.

I propose that you credit myself with close to the value of two LN53821 "XFX Radeon R9 280X Boost AMD Graphics Card - 3GB"
    The round value would be £316

With this value I would add additional funds and purchase a card that would meet and possibly exceed my performance expectations, I would be prepared to add £312 to purchase and deliver to me
    LN64998 "EVGA NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Graphics Card - 6GB"
    I was not asking for the full £479 value of what I paid. I understand graphics cards get faster every year and the market prices compensate for this.
    I was asking for the value of the performance of the 7990 and I was willing to spend another £300 to purchase a suitable replacement.

Scan emailed me today
    I am writing to inform you that unfortunately the LN 50752 "6GB XFX HD7990 FX-799A-XNF9 " is no longer available and unfortunately a replacement is not available as the only card we could offer was LN 55248 "3GB GAINW GTX780Ti PHANTOM"

We have therefore calculated a refund for you based on the benefit you have had of the goods from the original date of purchase and this amounts to £100+vat.
    First of all, you have gone from "suggest" a card as a replacement to "the only card we could offer"
    Secondly, if I dont take this "suggestion" you are offering a refund of £100+vat

You don't know the benefit I have had with these goods. It is not clear to me where Scan.co.uk calculated that after 18 months I am entitled to a 25%. I didn't "rent" this card, I purchased it so I could have many years of enjoyable gaming, I buy big to last longer.

I returned the 7990 with its original packaging, cables, manuals, and antistatic bag

Your replacement offer was not a Like for Like replacement and Scan.co.uk "adjusted" refund would not cover a 270X, would not cover a third of the the performance of my HD 7990. I offered a fair resolution and Scan.co.uk have responded very poorly.

The Sale Of Goods Act does say that I may not be not entitled to a full refund after 18 months, but all Scan.co.uk is willing to offer is £100+vat.

I am hoping that someone here from Scan.co.uk can talk to me and resolve this issue
    Last edited by Mark@SCAN; 22-06-2015 at 10:10 AM.

Thanks
    • Mick@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k @ 4.7 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Samsung 840 / 2TB Seagate SATA III ST2000DM001 / 120GB Vertex Plus
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB MSI 290X
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modular Infiniti 650Watt
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design ARC MIDI R2 Tower Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite G2773HS-2
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

Re: RMA woes

searrard,

I am sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the card or refund amount offered. As you are aware that card you originally purchased is now end of life, it is not possible to obtain a replacement or repair. As such an alternative card was suggested, as you declined this card a refund taking into account benefit of use was then calculated and offered.
    I have raised this issue with a line manager for you and the returns supervisor will be in contact via email before the end of the day.

Kind regards,

Thanks

Re: RMA woes

Mick@SCAN

Thank you for your prompt response

Thread Information