Thread: Faulty Motherboard and a ruined CPU

Thanks

Faulty Motherboard and a ruined CPU

I have had my new AMD system for 4 months running a GTX 660ti I then tried to upgrade to two 660ti GPU's in SLI and then the computer blew up with no idea why

I had a FX-8350 AMD CPU
    MSI 990FXA Gaming
    2X 8GB 2x4G CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9R RED RAM

I had to send the whole lot off to them for testing on the 9th Nov
    I have called everyday since for updates, it took them a week just to test a motherboard and report that as faulty

The CPU apparently wasn't packaged properly and resulted in bent pins. The CPU was in the same box as the board, wrapped in paper for anti static, packed in between the board heat sinks and protected from crushing from top and below. That box was placed into another box full of packaging chips

I have asked for pictures of the damaged box and CPU to claim through Royal Mail and no pictures have been received, that was asked 4 days ago

They then said they hadn't tested the RAM then said they had, I have asked for the RAM and CPU back last week and they said it will be sent today or tomorrow. The Motherboard won't be sent for a day or two and then takes two further weeks for a replacement. I constantly say I need my computer back due to work and personal

This is terrible, I'm planning on spending another £500 on a new 8350 and GTX 980 although I don't think I will be buying through Scan as my confidence has almost been destroyed

Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction to get this rectified?

Scan Computers Technical/Returns Mark@SCAN's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Mark@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE Z97
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB Samsung SM951 NVME & 1x 4TB WD Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone SST-ST75F-G Strider 750w
      • Case:
      • SilverStone FT03B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2711H
      • Internet:
      • SKY Fibre Unlimited

Re: Faulty Motherboard and a ruined CPU

Hi,

We spoke earlier on the phone so I must admit to being a little surprised by your post as there was no complaint made during our conversation?

Anyway...the CPU is not damaged as a result of poor handling by Royal Mail but as a result of the way it was packaged by you for return. Due to the damage to CPU we were unable to test this. The memory has been tested with memtest and passes without fault. Finally the motherboard has been tested and found to be faulty.

Initially the board was due to be returned to MSI due to the minor warping noted around the CPU socket however I can confirm that we will just be replacing the board for you from stock so no waiting will be necessary.

You should expect delivery of the replacement motherboard, memory which has been tested to be working ok and the damaged CPU tomorrow.

I apologise for any delays or inconvenience caused.

Regards

Thread Information