• Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Question e8400, query

Well im just curious as it is known that the e8400's first batch are faulty,sorta. I know intel have said to u guys that 72C is the temp threshold but to me its beside the point. I bought the cpu as it ran cooler as stated and is faster/cheaper then the older 65nm(e6750 i was original buying). My cpu hits 64C core 1 and 60C core 2 this is with using prime 95 for 30mins roughly, stable at that temp. I havent overclocked or messed around with it, just checked the correct airflow and heatsink seated properly.

The main question is, will you replace/refund me for this as it isnt working as describe and thus not fit for purpose in my opinion. Maybe it is the diodes being incorrect but that means its faulty still.
    I know it is not your fault but intel have yet to reply to me and i would like to know this while im still waiting.

Thanks.

edit: oh forgot to mention, mobo is an asus p5n-d, that runs at 32C idle and 46C load, gfx card hits 70C load, so im stumped to as why the cpu can get so hot.
    I am yet to find a bios that is ment to fix bugs on the motherboard and the motherboard has been out in america and is fine.

Also if you want batch number etc, tell me where to find on the box xD FPO=Q745A553 that the batch number? pack date was 01/04/08 (4th of jan)

Thanks

Re: e8400, query

How isn't it working as described mate, the only reason I can see you wanting a refund is because it probably won't overclock very well. The cpu is sold to run at its rated speed, which it clearly does - with stability. I'd say you've got no hope of getting it changed to be honest, and why should you?

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:

i was not planning on overclocking it, its ment to run "cooler" then the old 65nm process, its not. Please read more carefully when answering

Its also the fact the next batches are fine, fine in america too. People have had problems and its know, i have one to.

Thanks

I still would say you don't have a leg to stand on. Whether or not it runs cooler it still runs at the speed it should and is stable. Good luck on getting it returned, imo you just wanted to overclock it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    I am yet to find a bios that is ment to fix bugs on the motherboard and the motherboard has been out in america and is fine.

Also if you want batch number etc, tell me where to find on the box xD FPO=Q745A553 that the batch number? pack date was 01/04/08 (4th of jan)
    So I've (still) got one of these on back-order and am following this issue closely. If I were you, I'd consider waiting until some more people receive theirs and report back with their temps/boards/BIOS versions....as far as I can see this issue is due either to faulty temp sensors or the chips not being fully supported with current BIOS releases.

If you bought the chip and board from scan together, then I'd expect you to be able to return one (or both) of the items right now as they clearly aren't fulfilling the purpose for which they were bought due to this temp reporting fault/latest BIOS not working fully. Eg you might like to swap your board to the MSI one that the dude here has working fine after a BIOS update - if you still are reporting hot temps, then there would clearly a problem with your chip. You could swap just the chip now, but if this turns out to be a BIOS issue you will probably just have the same problem with the replacement until the updated BIOS is released, and will have gone through the hassle of returning for no benefit.

The other reason I'd say wait and see for a week or so is that you could buy a tried and tested E6850 for similar performance, but this costs ~£50 more, and definitely draws more power and runs hotter than your E8400 does in reality when you disregard the erroneous temperature reported (which is why I'm still buying an E8400).

So if I were you I'd wait a little and find out for definite what is causing this issue - i.e. wait for a BIOS update which either will resolve everything for you (no fault) or will not resolve it for you but does for others here (in this case you would have a faulty chip, because it's reporting wildly inaccurate temperatures and so absolutely should be returnable).

In the meantime I'd also expect to seem some word from Scan that would be a bit more helpful and customer focussed than claiming that a completely incorrect and stuck temperature reading that bears no relation to your actual temperature but is still less than the magic 72 degrees is NO FAULT ... seems to be a bit like being told a watch that does not run at all is not faulty because the time it shows might be correct (and in fact would be correct twice a day more often than your reported temperatures)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:

i dont overclock, only stuff ive overclocked is my old amd 3000 and an ati 9600XT, simply because it was cheap and needed to. This stuff =expensive and i wont overclock it. And it shouldnt be a bios problem as this board was released after the cpu's, england that is. America have had this board for a month more i think and the reviews ive seen have no mention of bad temps/compatability with the 45nm.

and lets hope scan see this soon , havent been impressed with my build so far, psu sorted itself out magicaly, bearing sounded like it was gone but isnt now xD. It locks up alot on crysis even though the gfx card is fine, 71C and no artifacts etc, stable except the cpu i think.

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

Quote Originally Posted by mike306dt View Post
    I still would say you don't have a leg to stand on. Whether or not it runs cooler it still runs at the speed it should and is stable. Good luck on getting it returned, imo you just wanted to overclock it
    Do you know how wrong you are?

This chip, due to the technology and manufacture, should be MUCH cooler than the 65nm versions.
    Its not.

Also, if these temps are reading strangely, future BIOS updates for chipsets/mobos will have absolutely no effect.

Its a blatant diode fault. Regardless of whether its 'within Intel spec' or not, its not performing as its supposed to according to its architecture.

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:

Ok this is annoying, 68C and second core is 63C. This is winter remember and the heating is off.
    This was after 2 mins of testing with orthos, i believe my cpu is faulty and not fit for its purpose now xD.

I await your response tomorrow.

Thanks
    • atmadden's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P35 Neo2 FR
      • CPU:
      • QX9650@4.2ghz 420x10
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballisitix PC5300 C3@840 4 4 4 12
      • Storage:
      • Maxtor 250gb SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 8800GTS OC 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    Do you know how wrong you are?

This chip, due to the technology and manufacture, should be MUCH cooler than the 65nm versions.
    Its not.

Also, if these temps are reading strangely, future BIOS updates for chipsets/mobos will have absolutely no effect.

Its a blatant diode fault. Regardless of whether its 'within Intel spec' or not, its not performing as its supposed to according to its architecture.
    How do you know that it isn't the bios that is interpreting the temp incorrectly? I have an E8400 running on the latest beta bios for my board that has fixes for the E8400 cpu. I have no temp problems and got mine from the first batch from scan. Bhavv has the same setup as me board and cpu and he is having temp problems but isn't using the latest beta bios. I am trying to get him to upgrade his bios to the same and then you will no for certain if the cpu is at fault. He has only just got his cpu so it is likely another batch.
    Core i7 860 @ 4ghz
    MSI P55 GD65 4gb Gskill Ripjaw 2xAsus 5770 1003/5600 Corsair HX620 psu http://trust.hexus.net/user_profile.php?user=10950

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    ..... i believe my cpu is faulty and not fit for its purpose now
    Are you aware that those are two fundamentally different issues?

"Fitness for purpose" and "faulty" are not at all the same thing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atmadden View Post
    How do you know that it isn't the bios that is interpreting the temp incorrectly? I have an E8400 running on the latest beta bios for my board that has fixes for the E8400 cpu. I have no temp problems and got mine from the first batch from scan. Bhavv has the same setup as me board and cpu and he is having temp problems but isn't using the latest beta bios. I am trying to get him to upgrade his bios to the same and then you will no for certain if the cpu is at fault. He has only just got his cpu so it is likely another batch.
    Wot he said

And Bhav if you're out there seriously update your BIOS so we can hopefully put this to bed once and for good.

Nice speed BTW - 4.37Ghz !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

Quote Originally Posted by atmadden View Post

If it was the bios, there wouldnt be reported issues on many different brands of board.
    Also, how is a BIOS update going to correct a faulty sensor/diode within a CPU? All the BIOS can do is correct how the motherboard calibrates and interprets the information.

Most of the issues seem to involve incorrect readings as opposed the core being ACTUALLY too hot. Now, if thats the case, then its an obvious flaw with the CPU itself and no amount of BIOS updates will resolve that.

I agree with Hicks tbh..........whether the CPU is within Intel tolerances sjhould be neither here nor there.
    These CPUs, even if its just a certain batch effected, as being misdescribed and therefore should be accepted back as faulty. This is a case for Scan to deal with Intel and not the customer to go directly to the manufacturer.

Can Scan explain what was said to Intel and how hard they pushed the point so we know?

I have bought one yet but i have been posting for near on 3 weeks about when they will be available as i wanted one. I just dont know if i made the right choice or not.

Thanks
    • Bhavv's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage III Extreme
      • CPU:
      • Intel I7 980
      • Memory:
      • Geil Ultra Series PC3-17000 12 Gb
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Seagate 4 Tb, Crucial M4 128 & 512 Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP Platimum 1300w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus ROG Swift + Acer G24
      • Internet:
      • 3 One Plan unlimited 4G

Quote Originally Posted by JPreston View Post

And Bhav if you're out there seriously update your BIOS so we can hopefully put this to bed once and for good.

Nice speed BTW - 4.37Ghz !!
    Hey! Yea I will update my bios later on.

I'm busy downloading 3d mark 01, 03, and 05 atm.

My E8400 is running stable at 4.05 Ghz and 1.325v right now (3D mark 06 and Aquamark stable). I found my ram max clocks yesterday, I'm working on the CPU atm.

My ram did well, these were its maximum frequencies:

1000 Mhz, 4-4-3-9, @ 2.3v 32m Super PI stable (3 runs)
    1166 Mhz, 5-5-5-15, @ 2.4v 32m Super PI stable (3 runs)

Blue screens on the ram within 16m Super PI at 1020 low latencies and 1174 high latencies.

Thanks
    • Bhavv's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage III Extreme
      • CPU:
      • Intel I7 980
      • Memory:
      • Geil Ultra Series PC3-17000 12 Gb
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Seagate 4 Tb, Crucial M4 128 & 512 Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP Platimum 1300w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus ROG Swift + Acer G24
      • Internet:
      • 3 One Plan unlimited 4G

Oh btw can anyone reccomend a program to use that would stress my CPU in a window so I can monitor the temps at the same time?

Would be appreciated.

Thanks
    • Mick@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k @ 4.7 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Samsung 840 / 2TB Seagate SATA III ST2000DM001 / 120GB Vertex Plus
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB MSI 290X
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modular Infiniti 650Watt
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design ARC MIDI R2 Tower Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite G2773HS-2
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavv View Post
    Oh btw can anyone reccomend a program to use that would stress my CPU in a window so I can monitor the temps at the same time?

Would be appreciated.

Try Orthos or Prime95, Orthos tends to be better as it is already set to stress a duel core CPU.

Thanks
    • Mick@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k @ 4.7 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Samsung 840 / 2TB Seagate SATA III ST2000DM001 / 120GB Vertex Plus
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB MSI 290X
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modular Infiniti 650Watt
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design ARC MIDI R2 Tower Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite G2773HS-2
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

I have added the link to the Intel datasheet concerning the E8000 series of CPU's.

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E8000 Series Datasheet

Regards,

Thread Information