Thread: Concerns That I Have About Scan

Thanks

Question Concerns That I Have About Scan

Hi everyone, very nice to meet you all. I have considered purchasing from Scan many times in the past, however, I'm slightly concerned by the following.

1. Scan reviews on Trustpilot - Many reviews seem to be marked as reported to customer service for violation etc etc. This makes me thing that Scan does not like to have bad, or negative reviews on the web.
    One of Scan's main competitors also use Trustpilot and whether you put a positive or negative review, a comment is always made by the Company and they do their best to sort out any issues/problems.

2. Scan's returns policy - I've read quite a few posts on different forums saying that Scan's returns policy is very strict and with regards to intermittent faults, Scan does not really want to know.
    Again, I will add that quite a few of Scan's competitors that I've used in the past have very fair returns policies, whether the fault is obvious or intermittent. Also, if the item is returned in the same state as the way it was received with all the packaging etc etc, then Companies don't have any issues with authorising refunds, or replacements.

3. Finally, read a few reviews on the web whereby customers have received used/previously opened goods when they thought they were purchasing new and had a lot of problems returning the items for replcements/refunds.

Thanks

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Concerns That I Have About Scan

I've never had any issues even with returns.

But all shops have an issue with 'intermittent' goods, if they test and it works, what else can they do but say it's fine.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

They may be fair concerns, but you have to trade off goodwill against cutting margins and offering goods at lower prices. There's never a hint of a concern that Scan are deliberately operating outside of consumer rights (mistakes happen), so you are always protected at least to the letter of the law, but other shops that go above and beyond that for goodwill might be increasing their margins in order to be able to afford that. The choice is yours

Thanks

Hi many thanks for your replies so far. I would just like to add, that this is not a criticism about Scan. It's just what I've heard and read. I buy components on a regular basis and would like to add Scan to one of my preferred online retailers if iI can.
    However, my main concern like many others is customer service and returns policy. Those two things are more important to me than price.
    Like I've said previously, I've purchased from many online pc component retailers and have never once had an issue returning items due to being faulty/intermittently faulty.

Thanks

Thanks

You will find like a lot of things on the internet, more people will post about complaints than they do about praise, for the thousands and thousands of customers that scan has, you can assume that those that haven't commented or posted anywhere are happy with the service.

Buy with confidence, I have been with them years and never had a problem and the one RMA I had was dealt with quickly and effectively.
    Jon

Thanks

soul1

Regarding Trust Pilot, We don't mind the Feedbadk, Trustpilot is one of the better sites, which will push the customer for verification, but you have to go through the Report feature of the site. We have tried to reply to post's but don't often receive a reply this way. The report feature is therefore used to receive the verification required to verify the complaint and to look into the problem and resolve it. he review is then re-instated or deleted if proved false and so our score is not penalised for a non verified review.

I had tried to post an explanation of why posts have been reported, it was removed for some reason but I have re-posted this below.

"

To clarify, recently removed reviews have been due to SCAN following the procedures of this review web site.

We have requested the reviews to be reported until we receive the Information necessary for SCAN to verify each review and also more importantly to look into each query and then respond will the full facts of each review, to allow us to act where possible. Also to enable user's to be able to make a full and informed conclusion of their own.

The Trust Pilot website will re-instate each review as each review is verified with the information we need to track each case.

It has been found on more than once occasion for a review to contain false information, resulting in reviews being deleted in agreement by Trust Pilot.

Regards

"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by soul1 View Post
    Hi everyone, very nice to meet you all. I have considered purchasing from Scan many times in the past, however, I'm slightly concerned by the following.

1. Scan reviews on Trustpilot - Many reviews seem to be marked as reported to customer service for violation etc etc. This makes me thing that Scan does not like to have bad, or negative reviews on the web.
    One of Scan's main competitors also use Trustpilot and whether you put a positive or negative review, a comment is always made by the Company and they do their best to sort out any issues/problems.

2. Scan's returns policy - I've read quite a few posts on different forums saying that Scan's returns policy is very strict and with regards to intermittent faults, Scan does not really want to know.
    Again, I will add that quite a few of Scan's competitors that I've used in the past have very fair returns policies, whether the fault is obvious or intermittent. Also, if the item is returned in the same state as the way it was received with all the packaging etc etc, then Companies don't have any issues with authorising refunds, or replacements.

3. Finally, read a few reviews on the web whereby customers have received used/previously opened goods when they thought they were purchasing new and had a lot of problems returning the items for replcements/refunds.

Thanks
    My graphics card had a very intermittent fault and I got a brand new card as a replacement.....

Banned
    Thanks

Also,

If you have ever worked in retail, the 'lying scum' to 'honest people' ratio is surprisingly high.

Thanks
    • pctech2012's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GIGABYTE H61MA-D2V
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 3450 Ivy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Seagate Barracuda 500GB Sata 3GB/s
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce 550Ti 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 600 Watt Gamer Series
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master 430 Elite
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung S23A550H LED
      • Internet:
      • Xilo Communications 4.5 Meg ADSL2+

I have also read the threads on here that are encouraging but alas noone has come back to me on my query about the extended warranty service.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Its worth having a look at hexus trust as these reviews are completely untouched by Scan and Hexus staff (right?). These tend to paint a picture of people who will not only review when things are bad, but also when they are good. Hexus is a completely independent entity to Scan, they use the Hexus community forums to facilitate a wider spread of medium for customer relations, added to the free shipping we get for orders over £20 EXVAT it has proven to be a pretty powerful combination for a serious techy consumer.

Personally i have had nothing but great service from scan, from advise and purchase all the way through to returns/RMAs

11. Received thanks from:

Carlh (08-02-2012)

Thanks
    • g8ina's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z75 Pro3
      • CPU:
      • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3.
      • Storage:
      • 250GB SSD system, 250GB SSD Data + 2TB data, + 8TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD 6870
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 22"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB unlimited

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Its worth having a look at hexus trust as these reviews are completely untouched by Scan and Hexus staff (right?). These tend to paint a picture of people who will not only review when things are bad, but also when they are good. Hexus is a completely independent entity to Scan, they use the Hexus community forums to facilitate a wider spread of medium for customer relations, added to the free shipping we get for orders over £20 EXVAT it has proven to be a pretty powerful combination for a serious techy consumer.

Personally i have had nothing but great service from scan, from advise and purchase all the way through to returns/RMAs
    This +1
    Cheers, David

13. Received thanks from:

Carlh (08-02-2012)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pctech2012 View Post
    I have also read the threads on here that are encouraging but alas noone has come back to me on my query about the extended warranty service.
    pctech2012, sorry about that, let's get that put right for you, what was your question and were did you ask it ?

Wesley

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyaldred View Post
    pctech2012, sorry about that, let's get that put right for you, what was your question and were did you ask it ?

Wesley
    pctech2012,

I located your post and have had a relevant member of staff reply for you.

Wesley

Thanks

Hi, once again many thanks for all your replies, especially from Scan Staff Members. My mind now has been put to rest and I will definitely consider using yourselves next time I need to buy any hardware etc etc.

Cheers

17. Received thanks from:

Carlh (08-02-2012),Chris P (08-02-2012)

Registered+
    Thanks

I've bought countless things/stuff off Scan. I had to return 1 item for DOA, that was RAM about 3-4 years ago which was refunded and in another instance I had to return a motherboard which claimed to be compatible with my CPU at the time on the manufacturer's website but was not, and even the manufacturer admitted that was the case (it was overclocking my CPU voltage and I had no way to stop it, not even a BIOS flash would have fixed the issue!). They refunded me even though the item was not DOA and I bought a brand new motherboard from them. I'm expecting this weekend to be much of the same because I need to return a DOA GFX card. I've been buying from them for about 7-8 years now and spent thousands of pounds and only ever had three problems, two of which were fixed immediately and I got help from this site via PM and in threads (sorry, but I cannot speak for the gfx card yet!) so all I can say is it's good CS from my point of view.

I think (and I've only skim read the other answers so I think this has been said) people tend to post reviews when they are unhappy. I try to give Scan praise where it's due if I've had a good experience (and have done in the past on these forums). I think it's just the way human nature works in the end. But honestly I've never had a problem and the rest of my family also buy from them and don't have a problem.

It's the same with TripAdvisor... Every time I go away I look up the hotel on TA. I went to one hotel that had absolutely amazing reviews because they were getting lots of freebies etc... I went to said hotel, and it was good, not amazing, just good. Certainly nothing to complain about, but certainly nothing to write home about either. One of the best hotels I've ever been to in my whole life has probably a 4 star review on TA but I thought it was amazing (just amenities, size of room, free minibar!! :O). Then there have been hotels that people have said were absolutely awful and I took a punt on it anyway and thought "maybe it's just that one room" or "maybe that person is overly fussy" and it turned out to be OK to my standards. Maybe it isn't the best example or analogy, but I think it's one we can relate to, and it says it all when TA were told to remove the "trusted" part of their motto just recently! Although off topic.. Trusted removal or not. I love TA .

Thread Information