Thread: Advice on returning recent 970 purchase?

Registered+
    Thanks

Advice on returning recent 970 purchase?

I recently bought a Gigabyte G1 970 card last week. It had the dreaded coil whine after checking it on 2 systems (quite audible over my fans). I actually issued an rma request on the day I received it, but then decided against it, because I didn't want the hassle, and I've been gaming with my headphones recently anyway.

I now noticed scan are giving away a free game with the cards now, and I do feel a bit cheated, especially since my card isn't completely satisfactory as well.

My Rma request is still quite recent and on going. Should I return the product for a refund so I can potentially get a free game? I'm somewhat ok with just keeping it if I can get the code, but I'm not sure if that is possible.

HEXUS.social member Disturbedguy's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rog Strix Z370-H Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair something or other
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Samsung 960 EVO (250GB) 1 x Samsung 850 EVO (500GB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

Re: Advice on returning recent 970 purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by Dipar View Post
    I recently bought a Gigabyte G1 970 card last week. It had the dreaded coil whine after checking it on 2 systems (quite audible over my fans). I actually issued an rma request on the day I received it, but then decided against it, because I didn't want the hassle, and I've been gaming with my headphones recently anyway.

I now noticed scan are giving away a free game with the cards now, and I do feel a bit cheated, especially since my card isn't completely satisfactory as well.

My Rma request is still quite recent and on going. Should I return the product for a refund so I can potentially get a free game? I'm somewhat ok with just keeping it if I can get the code, but I'm not sure if that is possible.
    How do you feel a bit cheated? As far as I'm aware SCAN don't decide when games will be given away, I was under the impression that it comes from the card manufacturer....not sure how you can feel cheated with that, especially as you decided not to send the card back in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It didn't fall off, it merely became insufficient at it's purpose and got a bit droopy...

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbedguy View Post
    How do you feel a bit cheated? As far as I'm aware SCAN don't decide when games will be given away, I was under the impression that it comes from the card manufacturer....not sure how you can feel cheated with that, especially as you decided not to send the card back in the first place.
    First, I never once blamed it on SCAN.

Coil whine, to me, is a fault if audible over your own case fans. I know this was a common problem with this specific series of cards and decided in the end not to make it bothersome for SCAN because there was a chance I would get another that was the same. I was, and still, obviously not too happy nonetheless, as I did call back within a couple of hours testing and receiving the product.

I understand that SCAN is not obligated to do anything on their part besides either refunding me for a product that is either incompatible with my system or not as advertised, or telling me that the noise comes as standard. I merely wanted advice as the codes did tip me in favour of a full refund.

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

So the coil whine is acceptable, but not giving you a free game isn't?

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Willzzz View Post
    So the coil whine is acceptable, but not giving you a free game isn't?
    Not really. It has more to do with the fact I could get another replacement that will have a similar problem as to why I was hesitant in a replacement, as that has happened to me in the past.

Thanks
    • Mick@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k @ 4.7 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Samsung 840 / 2TB Seagate SATA III ST2000DM001 / 120GB Vertex Plus
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB MSI 290X
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modular Infiniti 650Watt
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design ARC MIDI R2 Tower Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite G2773HS-2
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Dipar View Post

Dipar,

Please log a query with our customer services team with reference to the games voucher, we are currently in communication with Nvidia to see if it is possible to back date vouchers from very recent card purchases, these will be looked at on a case by case basis.

https://secure.scan.co.uk/aspnet/sup...px?QueryType=C

Kind regards,

D-T
    Thanks
    • D-T's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z370 ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700k @ 4.7GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair 3GHz DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 Pro NVMe | Samsung 840 Pro | Sandisk Extreme Pro II
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x 11GB GTX 1080 Ti (ASUS STRIX | MSI Gaming X)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 80+ Ti
      • Case:
      • Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS PG348Q, 21:9 1440p @ 90Hz // Panasonic 55" CX700B, 16:9 2160p @ 60Hz
      • Internet:
      • "100Mbps"

Looks like those of us who ordered at launch are probably out-of-luck. I was told:

"As this is NVIDIA's promotion, we do have to follow their guidelines. Unfortunately we are unable to back date a promotion. For the promotion to apply to a card, it would have to be on the invoice or the promotion to be active at the time of purchase. I apologise if this causes any inconvenience."
    OC UK seem to be honouring it for orders which haven't been shipped yet, so hopefully Scan are doing something similar.

Seem to be having a bit of bad luck lately when it comes to hardware deals; I missed out on £40 cash-back on my 512GB 840 Pro last year too because - for some unspecified reason - the model number I received wasn't eligible.

I don't know what else to say but...
    Last edited by D-T; 06-11-2014 at 08:49 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mick@SCAN View Post
    Dipar,

Please log a query with our customer services team with reference to the games voucher, we are currently in communication with Nvidia to see if it is possible to back date vouchers from very recent card purchases, these will be looked at on a case by case basis.

Kind regards,
    Is 3 weeks ago too long?

I did wait a while after launch of the 970 but still no games so I went ahead and bought a 970 against my better judgement. I also paid a premium of £290 due to low stock I guess while now its £270 with a game just a few weeks later. I'm not looking for any money back, but feel disappointed in missing out on the game.

Newegg are offering codes up until launch for anyone who asks. I heard some other UK retailers are back dating but not seen much evidence.
    Last edited by tekmon; 06-11-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Thanks
    • Mick@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k @ 4.7 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Samsung 840 / 2TB Seagate SATA III ST2000DM001 / 120GB Vertex Plus
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB MSI 290X
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modular Infiniti 650Watt
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design ARC MIDI R2 Tower Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite G2773HS-2
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

tekmon,

Unfortunately I cannot be that specific, I could only suggest submitting a query to our customer services team for confirmation.

Kind regards,

Thread Information