Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

Cool Scan - Customer services mini review/feedback

Recently my GPU died, yes I know - more issues.

What was happening was when I tried to boot my PC it would post, start loading Windows and then hang, after staying locked up for some time it would then post again, hang again and then post before dropping my PC into Windows Automatic Repair mode. I ended up trying to repair, then performing a fresh install of Windows 8, that ended up giving me the same results, as did Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Each fresh install would allow me to get into Windows and log in but would then crash/hang during the update process and ultimately ended up with my PC being taken into automatic repair mode.

I actually thought it was my mobo so I called Scan rather than post on here and spoke to one of the customer services team, Dale.

After talking through the issue Dale suggested trying to resolve the problem by removing as much from my mobo as possible. So I removed all HDDs, all but 1 stick of RAM and left just that, the CPU + Cooler, GPU and SSD attached, I even took the mobo out of my case and tested it on its box and reported to Dale that it was still exhibiting the fault. Dale requested that I tried the mobo without the GPU attached and when I did the PC worked fine, so I tested the GPU in another PC and it failed to start up. So now the GPU is on its way back to EVGA's RMA facility in Germany.

I felt that the service I got from Dale was brilliant, the only minor complaint was that I needed to contact him at one point and it took him a few days to get back to me, but that might have been because he had time off during that interim period, when I hadn't heard for a few days I called Scan and spoke to someone else (I forgot to take his name but he has a cool rig with a GTX 980 and green LED lighting if that helps identify him) who I told about how Dale had helped me, this person must have passed on my message to Dale who posted back a reply almost immediately.

Overall I am pleased with the way Dale handled my call and this case, I felt that he had taken personal ownership of my issues and that he was very professional in nearly all matters (with the only exception noted above). Dale made me feel valued as a customer and was very reassuring in the way he talked me through the issues, which is why I thought I would post in with a more positive message about Scan's customer services.

2. Received thanks from:

gupsterg (20-08-2015)

Thanks
    • gupsterg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz
      • Memory:
      • Kingston HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + HGST 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master V850
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Temjin 06 plus mods ;)
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk VDSL

Re: Scan - Customer services mini review/feedback

Cheers for share!

May I ask was product from Scan?
    i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB@2400MHz 1T - Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM, ~17.7K 3DM FS)
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - Cooler Master V850

R7 1700@3.8GHz - Archon IB-E X2 - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz C14 - Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM, ~17.2K 3DM FS)

Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:

Yes, I did buy it from Scan and they did offer to deal with the RMA for me but pointed out that going through them would add a 5 day delay while they test the GPU in house before sending it on to EVGA who will put it through a second set of tests before completing the RMA. Had it been within the first 12 months I would have sent it straight to Scan as that's EVGA's recommended procedure for items within that initial period.

However, had I realised that the post office were just going to send the item to Heathrow and then hold it there for 3 days (so far) then I would have simply sent it Scan for them to deal with, but I can't blame Scan for this delay, as much as I want to find someone to take the blame.

Thanks
    • gupsterg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz
      • Memory:
      • Kingston HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + HGST 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master V850
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Temjin 06 plus mods ;)
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk VDSL

Cheers, you read so many moans about support, so good to see someone take the time to relay the flip side of the coin. I do think there are people getting good support out of Scan otherwise the business would not be viable. IIRC the 2 ever RMAs I've ever done no issues at all, otherwise I think they'd have stuck in my mind! .
    i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB@2400MHz 1T - Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM, ~17.7K 3DM FS)

R7 1700@3.8GHz - Archon IB-E X2 - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz C14 - Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM, ~17.2K 3DM FS)

Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:

To conclude this thread I thought I would post about the outcome.

So, suspected faulty GPU posted to EVGA Germany on 17th, EVGA eventually received the GPU on 21st, the day after I moaned about the inefficiencies of our national postal carrier so clearly my fault for not having moaned sooner. EVGA sent me an email on the 24th to say an item with serial number xxxx has been despatched. Today, 10 days after posting a package arrived from EVGA containing a GTX 980, it wasn't in a factory sealed box so I'm assuming it's a refurb, but I'm not complaining about that, however I would have been happier with a 980 Ti and no doubt if they had sent a 980 Ti then I'd be saying I would have been happier with a Titan X etc...

Overall I got a great service from both Scan and then EVGA so thanks everyone.

7. Received thanks from:

MaddAussie (27-08-2015)

Thread Information