Thread: Scan Disk Rate Falure + RMA process - poor experience, not a complaint, for record

Thanks

Thumbs down Scan Disk Rate Falure + RMA process - poor experience, not a complaint, for record

I'm just raising a poor experience with Scan today, this is not a complaint as I understand the RMA process has limitations, but I am putting it on record for others to see.

I purchased 4 x Toshiba disks to use in a backup array - I needed an additional backup so bought disks.
    on arrival 2 out of the 4 where DOA.
    I phoned scan for an RMA - which I was given. However, was told it would be at least a week before the RMA is processed and it I needed the disks (which I do to get a backup) I should mark them for refund and purchase more disks.

I appreciated the advice, marked the RMA for refund, and purchased 2 identical disks to replace the two that are DOA.

I today received my two disks, and shock horror one of them is DOA.

so out of 6 disks I've purchased, 3 are DOA - in two separate orders.

I'm now back exactly where I was before, where the RMA will take at least 7 days, so that's another 9 days without the backup (due to weekend shipping) unless I once again purchase MORE disks from scan, but they tell me they can't test a disk to send out to me before I purchase, but they can test a replacement RMA item before they send it to me ???

This seems mental, I'm being as helpful as I can, I've spent more money than I had to, to try to meet my needs and accommodate scans RMA process, I'm advised by scan to spend more money to cover for the fact that my RMA covering purchase is ALSO DOA and needs an RMA, but, won't test a 3rd purchase before they send it to me.

my options

a.) wait 10 days for the RMA process and get a tested disk back - which is what I'll do as I can't risk another DOA from scan
    b.) send the 3 disks back for RMA and get a refund and get the disks from somewhere else - possible, but I'd rather get the same models and complete the transaction with scan, after all, they have 3 disks worth of money from me that I don't need/are broken.

I've also had to go to the ball ache of installing them in my PC to use the Toshiba testing tools on them to confirm they are DOA otherwise I run the risk of a rejected RMA from scan - which is what I was warned with.

I appreciate sometimes items break, or you get a bad disk here or there, but %50 or 2 separate orders, that's pretty bad, and when I try to spend more money to enable the RMA process a little easier it's a poor experience, when I then offer to spend MORE money to cover the RMA process being slow and "at risk" but request they test the disk before sending it me as I can't afford another RMA process, I'm told no, we can't test new products, we can only test replacement products.

Really poor experience, partially not scans fault, partially scans fault.
    It is Inevitable.....

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Re: Scan Disk Rate Falure + RMA process - poor experience, not a complaint, for recor

Sounds like there is a bad batch of Toshiba disks with scan at the moment. I'd send them all back for a refund and perhaps have a look at Hitachi or WD.

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

Re: Scan Disk Rate Falure + RMA process - poor experience, not a complaint, for recor

Ikonia.

After checking on that particular drive, whilst the RMA rate on the drives is a little higher than normal they are still quite low overall really.

Best Regards,

Thread Information