• Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

Thumbs up Chronicles of Riddick PC

Alot of people have been asking about this as of late so thought I would try and enlighten ! Chronicles of Riddick is one of the unsung heroes when it comes to games, not many people have heard about it but pick it up and you cant put it down !

Usually when you see something that is a movie tie in its worthwhile to stay well clear ! Look at some previous examples of this : Enter the Matrix (Could have been so much better, way to many bugs and graphical glitches), Star Wars Ep 1 : Phantom Menace turned out as a poor platform type game just churned out, Evil Dead, once again a poor mans Resident Evil with constant spawning enemies so it was really hard to get anywhere on it. PC's have seen some right turkeys in years gone by.

Thankfully Chronicles Of Riddick is completely different ! Plenty of work has been put into this on the PC to give a rewarding enjoyable gaming experience that is a cross between Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell series in Riddicks universe.

Starbreeze studios so far have given us Enclave (Excellent bloody medievil hack and slash affair in the mold of Severance Blade of Darkness, highly playable start to finish), also they have given us Knights of the Temple (Once again the medievil setting in the vein of Severance and again highly playable start to finish).

With all that out the way lets take a look at the game itself. As the title states you have to escape from Butcher Bay, a notorious prison that holds the worst of the worst. Anyone that has seen the 2 Pitch Black films knows there isnt a slam that Riddick cant escape from ! Game itself is set before both films so it is welcoming us into his universe.

Game Engine at first glimpses looks like it is the Doom 3 engine, but oh no ! They have worked on this engine in house and I have to say if these guys can get this game looking like this without ID's fantastic engine they are 100% professional and really good in what they do. Game characters look lifelike in movement and the facial features look really good, not quite to Half Life 2 standards but superb regardless. Another very good thing to point out is that the PC version has been enhanced from the X Box version, it has not been a straight port over, it has been souped up big time ! Something else I would like to point out is this game runs exceptionally well on a slightly lesser system. On Doom 3 I have to run it in 800x600 and high detail settings to get no lag at all. This however I can run in 1024x768 with all game detail settings put on high and it runs smooth as silk, now that is good programming ! Shadows are cast really well with good use of lighting, there are a few minor glitches I must say but nothing that is overly noticeable or something that will ruin the overall experience. (My system is XP Barton Core 2500+ @ 1.8 Ghz, 1Gb ram PC2700 333 Mhz and Radeon 9600 Pro, everything at stock)

Sound is fantastic, Vin Diesel has given his voice talents to Riddick thankfully giving the game a real gritty feel to it, I wish alot more companies would try and get the actors to voice parts for their games. I missed Harrison Ford on the Indiana Jones games, they were great games (first one was at least in the mold of Tomb Raider !) but it felt there was something missing due to it not being Indys true voice. This is how it should be, it all comes together nicely and really imerses you in the Pitch Black universe.

As for the game itself, it is highly playable. You can play it through using as much stealth as possible or go in fists / guns blazing. If played properly using both methods you will be hooked. Sneak past what you can but occasionally go all out into a fist fight and end up tilting a firearm backover and taking a guard out by him pulling the trigger at the wrong time in a strugle. You also have the option if you are playing it through with stealth to sneak up on someone and snapping their neck, either quietly or just riving it making more noise (snapping of the spinal cord maybe making more noise, let you decide !). You then have the body to dispose of in the essence of Splinter Cell and Thief ! Pick them up and dump them in a dark corner ! You really dont see to many firearms on this game I have to say, you get the odd pistol, shotgun or automatic but ammo can be quite sparse. When it comes to hand to hand however you get a little (I do mean little !) more options. Shiv (kind of a screwdriver really), also a few different types of knuckledusters with blades or spikes etc adding to lethality ! Overall it adds to the games charm, pick it up and thats it, you're hooked (I know I've said that already in different words but this is a great game !) Whilst playing you are given sidequests to kill someone, tail someone or find something. You dont have to do these sidequests if you dont want to and charge through the game, doing them makes the game last a bit longer and you get to talk to some really interesting characters (my favourite was putting the poison in a guys food !)

On top of all this you can put the game in Developers cut mode. Ever watch a DVD at home and decide to put the directors commentary on ? Thats what the developerss cut is all about, you get a voice over telling you how they done this and that with the game etc as you play it through. Very novel idea really and a welcoming change to usual extra bits given on games. Something else to get you really involved is collecting packets of cigs, everytime you collect one a movie bit is unlocked, concept art, stills, shorts and all stuff like that (when I say movie bit I mean from the Chronicles of Riddick movie itself) so you are given a bit more to get you playing it through taking you're time and exploring.

As you can see I really enjoyed this game start to finish, gives you a bit more depth to Riddicks universe. Yes you do find out how he got his eyes shined up (Remember what he says to people when they ask ?! Got them done at Butcher Bay so it all ties in with the movies nicely) however I am not going to tell you here ! (Evil laugh commences !) You will have to buy the game and find out for yourselves !

Only gripe I have with this game is the amount of time it lasts, it is pretty short overall albeit very rewarding if you do all the sidequests and collect the cigs. I played if over 3 nights and at a rough guess I would say clocked it in around 11 hours and that was covering most of the additional quests and getting the cigs.

If you want something to tide you over till Splinter Cell 3 hits the shelves you cant go wrong in buying this great piece of fun software. I wish alot more developers would put this type of quality work out on a more regular basis. Wether you are a fan of FPS or Stealth action games this game covers both admirably.

Highly recommended, I give it 8.5 / 10

adamspestcontrol.co.uk
    Thanks
    Couldnt agree more I loved this game, its a good review Ferral spot on imho.

Buy it folks its brillant value and a fun fun game, runs well on my rig XP2000, GF 4 4400Ti and 512mb of PC2700 all at stock speed

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    two avid gamers, both with mid range sec PC's both raving about it

I'm now hooked on the idea of the other two titles Ferral mentioned. Saverance is one of my all time favourites...looks like I need a new game

Good review Ferral...good work fella.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

adamspestcontrol.co.uk
    Thanks
    Not only a good review but no spoilers Zak you will not regret it bud thats for sure...A few times I was WTF and a few more I was !!!!!!!! Kin brillant!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    am tempted....but I wana do the Enclave /Knights bit first. His is the first review that hasyanked me from my WW2 world and stuck a sword back in my hand.

You know what its like...I need a change. Thief 3 tempted me.....

"The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber
    Thanks for the feedback on the review guys. Tried to cover as much as possible and give a good insight into the game itself without giving spoilers. Took me around 2 hours last night to get it just how I wanted it ! Hope you enjoyed the read as much as I enjoyed writing it.

It is a great game allround and most people that are into the genres mentioned will most likely love it.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    GOT IT TODAY

PC World £20 had a few XMas vouchers left

will install and play on Tuesday on my day off,. Thanks Ferral...you know your games and thats good, cos I like the games you like

Thanks
    Its 14quid on amazon uk.

This game is really good, its far more fun than Doom3 (dark room bang bang, dark room bang... etc..) but its had about a millionth of the hype. Also it looks great on high end machines, pixel shader 2.0 effects are really cool, scaring on prisoners faces looks really nasty.

Highly recommended. if you have a spare 14quid.
    Athlon 3500+ | 1Gb Ram
    ATI X800 XT PE | Blackgold TV Card
    Raptor 74Gb OS/Games | 200Gb Storage
    Samsung 21inch TFT | Freecom16x DVD/RW

Thanks
    Throughly enjoyed this game and indeed it is an unsung hero amongst stronger or better known titles.

Loved the atmosphere, graphics, gameplay, etc and have already got some of my mates to invest in it.

Defo a 8/10 game and that's just me being conservative
    Founder of stupidity

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg
    I got this a few days after picking up HL2and to be honest I completely forgot HL2 once I got into this. My only minor gripe is that I find the mouse precision a little muddy in places.

Best FPS in ages.

Thanks
    Mite have to have a look at this then if it comes recommended by the "*Ak Boys"..

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Right....my turn....and now I know what "no spoilers" means, I'll avoid telling you that...

I CRAPPED MYSELF !!!!!

aaanyway.

Bad points? Yup...plenty. But none bad enuogh to put me off it...I just wanna play....big desire to dump work and go home to play

First off: Rad X800 Pro 1024x768 ful maxed out details and candy yumptious.
    Sounds: better than the graphics. Bloody terrifying.

When you wanna go stealthy, you crouch down, and IF you are invisoble in shadows, the view goes a blue colour. So effectively like Thief was, but without a gemstone changing colour to tell you you're stealthed up. And BECAUSE of that, lights need shooting out I agree about mouse accuracy....specially in the zoomed mode (which incidently is not over done..its just usefull)

I did not like the intro "training" particularly because tuff that shuld have worked, like rolling sideways, didn't.

BUT once into the game....sorted.

more soon....customer on the phone....thats rare at the mo

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup
    I've been playing it for a while now, on Ferral's recomendation I might add when I finished Vampire Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Like Bloodlines it draws you in with a great mix of atmosphere & gameply.

Great review tho Ferral old chap
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    ok..back

The control system is far from perfect. But climbing ladders and hanging from edges etc DOES go third person, so views are neat.

If ever a game needs to be loud andon headphones with good bass, this is it...the background noises are superb. Top points for atmoshpere.

But the controls do suck major ass. I HATE having to hold down a button to toggle LEAN, and then push the strafe keys to lean. It makes no snese to me....Q and E would be better. While crouching, hidden, and then leaning, gun aiming is nigh on impossible too. But you do get to roll out and suprise people Bt only with a gun...Icant get him to roll sideways without being armed!!

Menu Screens. Bloody fantastic. A big 3d roating cube, that has facets that change when you adjust gasme settings, or read your journal to keep plot of the story. Really neat.

SO.....yup..hooked.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak33
    First off: Rad X800 Pro 1024x768 ful maxed out details and candy yumptious.
    You should try 1600x1200 21inch screen maxed out!!!!! Hey the pro should at least be able to do 1280x1024 maxed out.?

But the controls do suck major ass.
    I know the lean is a pain but its more realistic, have you ever seen MOH online ppl leaning left then right running, jumping ducking and strafing all at the same time!!! Its just bloody stupid and unrealistic.

Overall I found the controls to be quite good. It feels like you have a body which actually has mass, unlike hl2 & ut2004!

Menu Screens. Bloody fantastic
    Totally Agree!
    Last edited by tom deloford; 17-03-2005 at 01:18 PM.
    Athlon 3500+ | 1Gb Ram
    ATI X800 XT PE | Blackgold TV Card
    Raptor 74Gb OS/Games | 200Gb Storage
    Samsung 21inch TFT | Freecom16x DVD/RW

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Serios graphics .....stunning effort has gone into this

Tiles in the showers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information