Thread: Windows Explorer will not display and no access to Control Panel

Thanks

Windows Explorer will not display and no access to Control Panel

Dear Davey

I have a problem regarding opening up folders and viewing Win Explorer and even the Control Panel on my new PC. I have not used it very much since purchase - only to install my new internet/cable software and recently to set
    up a new BELKIN wireless home network between my MESH pc, my old one and my laptop. I have placed access on all 3 computers to share folders on the network and when trying to sort out security and sharing on my new PC I cannot view anything in Explorer - ie I click on a folder shortcut on the desktop and the screen flickers from the current open window to a blank desktop then back to first open window. No folders are displayed, nothing opens from the start menu - ie My Docs etc and this is becoming frustrating. I took advice from MS Help and suggestions were to ensure the new MESH PC was registered as the Master Browse Server which is changed via regedit as below.

For the designated Master Browse Server computer, configure it to be a preferred Master Browse Server.

For a computer running Windows XP/2000:

Launch the REGEDIT utility by clicking Start\Run\Regedit.exe.
    Set the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters \MaintainServerList registry setting to Yes.

However, I cannot locate the "parameters" folder here. And do not like to mess with the registry also. I cannot access the sharing and security settings via the control panel either.

Any assistance would be welcome as I have now had this pc since January and have used it less than 5 times and have to resort to copying folders over manually by disc/usb stick etc from old pc to new one and then can't open folders from any source - CD/external hard drive or via the network.

A prompt response will be very welcome.

Thanks

Thanks
    Hi Shazstar
    firstly what operating system are you running, xp or vista. secondly have you got norton internet security loaded.
    the reason im asking this is due to me also loosing my control panel,the search option and system restore a few months ago. to cut a long story short it turned out to be an automatic update from symantec that had somehow corupted some files and drivers. after ringing norton and being told that it would cost me £18 for technical help i flipped and told them what they could do with their product. strange, but he then said he could give free help this time after speaking to his manager. he told me to write some text in the run box and hey presto it solved the problem and everything was back to normal.
    if its not that then sorry but i cant help anymore and you will have to wait for Davey to answer your post.
    jim

Thanks
    • globox's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P5N32 E SLI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme x6800 2.933 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2048MB DDR2 900 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 2 X 300GB Maxtor SATA drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX
      • PSU:
      • 550W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Mystique
      • Monitor(s):
      • 20.1" Viewsonic VP2030b
      • Internet:
      • 8MB BT Broadband
    I have to agree with Mr DJ. Norton was the coolest thing you could have when Peter Norton was gaffer. Not so since SYMANTEC took over. It's Norton now by name only

Quote Originally Posted by Mr DJ View Post
    Hi Shazstar
    firstly what operating system are you running, xp or vista. secondly have you got norton internet security loaded.
    the reason im asking this is due to me also loosing my control panel,the search option and system restore a few months ago. to cut a long story short it turned out to be an automatic update from symantec that had somehow corupted some files and drivers. after ringing norton and being told that it would cost me £18 for technical help i flipped and told them what they could do with their product. strange, but he then said he could give free help this time after speaking to his manager. he told me to write some text in the run box and hey presto it solved the problem and everything was back to normal.
    if its not that then sorry but i cant help anymore and you will have to wait for Davey to answer your post.
    jim

Thanks
    Thanks for responding. I'm on XP about to upgrade to Vista. Yes to Symantec / Norton (I wouldn't intentionally use it but it's tied into the new network - (I was protected by Bullguard that came with PC). I didn't install software for the network - a mate did and he has my disks! So it's more than likely Norton strikes again! Any further help on how to get any corrupted files fixed would be most welcome. I wouldn't have let my mate install Norton Internet Security if I new this would happen!

MESH Computers Group
    Thanks
    Hi Shazstar,

Firstly I would recommend you un-install the Norton software. If you need something to tide you over security wise I would suggest downloading the trial of Bullguard or the free version of AVG from their respective websites so you are secure. Do this before removing Norton's if possible.

The disks you refer to your mate having, what discs are they? Other than drivers for any hardware involved you really shouldn't need any additional software to set up the network. If you are using any third party network software then the normal setup I and other readers would be familiar with would not help you.

Davey

Thanks
    Our small office network suffered the same fate with Norton, same problems, the real headache however came trying to get rid of it, they all have AVG on now and no probs at all. Like stated Norton used to be the best, but not now, it hogs the system and costs a fortune for the "pleasure".

DaveG

Thanks
    Davey

It seems Norton isn't the problem so I hand it back to you to get to the root of the problem - no access to control panel or any folders via windows explorer nor can I do a system restore. Other than using my rescue disk which I am very nervous about doing as I have saved a lot of data on new PC (seeing I can't transfer them to my fully functioning 10 year old PC anyway) any help would be good. Especially since I have spent over 2 hours and a lot of money trying to get help from your so called customer services and tech support scam. I will be billing MESH for the £120 call charges to date after they hung up on me twice and put me on hold for 72 mins.

If you can't help me regarding this - please let me know ASAP who can.

If I don't get anywhere in the next few days I will be visiting the offices at Brent Trading Standards when I'm in London next week and the MESS head office and I have also voiced my concerns with BBC Watchdog. I need to use my PC extensively for business and communication and though it may seem a trivial software problem it's a problem that shouldn't happen to such a new computer.

Thanks

Sharon

Thanks
    Davey

I have attempted 2 system recoveries and each one failed because of missing system files (first one not using recovery disc and second time using the recovery/XP install CDROM reported " m5289.sys file not found ". I can still operate Windows XP but anything related to the Media Center fails. Also after both attempts the 3rd time rebooting gave me the safe mode option to start XP Media Center or XP Professional. Why is that? Surely XP Professional is not installed? Is this because the recovery disc booted up?

I managed to back up some of the personal folders from the new PC onto my old external hard drive in safe mode but now I am growing more concerned as I am getting nowhere even after resorting to a full flattening of new PC hard drive.

HELP!!!!

MESH Computers Group
    Thanks
    Hi Shazstar,

The problem you are having does not come across as a hardware fault, more like a software issue. Given our software is mastered to a great number of systems I would find it unlikely that your problem is due to our software installation. If it were, then everyone would have the same experiences.

With the above in mind, I'd hold off on Trading Standards and the MESS (how original, well done, never heard it before, etc, etc) Head Office "mentions" as the implication at the present time is user error.

Now, I asked about your references to disks for a network, which you posted your mate now had. Apart for drivers for a network device you should not need any network discs, so what discs are you referring to?

Davey

Thread Information