Thread: BBC choice of presenter/commentator

Thanks

BBC choice of presenter/commentator

i've been watching the african cup on and off on bbc the last couple of days, quite enjoyable, just wondered why the bbc felt the need to have black presenters though. this isn't some nasty racist comment, its just i can't remember these guys doing much match of the day stuff before.

if bbc screen some international match they usually get a chat person related to the team/country playing... fine. but i don't think that just because a person is black means that they are an expert on african football. i mean ex wimbledon player efan ekoku hasn't been called upon to comment much before.

as i say im not having a moan, but it makes the bbc look as if it's trying too hard to be politically correct. what do u think?

Banned
    Thanks
    Yeah, I noticed it as well. If Gary can't do it, then get one of the normal 2nd or 3rd in command presenters to do it. Its the African Nations Cup, ie football, so get the normal football presenter blokes on it.

Fair enough if that's a black bloke, a white bloke, or a bloke made completely from grass (although this is unlikely), but why do the BBC feel that they have to have a black bloke, even if he was born in like... Wolverhampton, just because its an African tournament?

In short - yes, the BBC try too hard to be PC, and end up looking like prats.

Thanks
    Gary couldnt do it because he was doing the FA Cup. When you goto Africa, it takes a few days to acclimatise to the conditions there, to prevent tiredness etc. Garth Crooks is presenting it, I've seen him be a panelist before, and also a commentator for Match of the Day, but not a presenter.

Efan Ekoku used to play for one of the countries involved IIRC, he's retired so he's making easy money really.. he probably lives in Africa too = cheap transport for the BBC.

Peter Schemichael[sp?] did the FA Cup, and he's Danish... he's doing the same, making easy money.

Although, I do believe the BBC are being too politically correct :-/

Nick

Thread Information