Thread: News - Google says Apple rejected its Google Voice app

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Google says Apple rejected its Google Voice app

New evidence emerges that Apple had already rejected Google Voice, despite telling the FCC it was still under consideration
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

Re: News - Google says Apple rejected its Google Voice app

I think its a simple fact that Apple don't like Google because of the Android operating system threatening the iphone market share of mobile sales.

Apple do have a long history of not supporting other companies software if it doesn't suit them, regardless of how popular it is. They would rather spite their own noses than admit someone made something better than they did.

SiM
    Thanks
    • SiM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB PC2-6400 OCZ ReaperX + Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 3 x 320gb HD322HJ single platter in Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY GTX285
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407-HC

Why doesn't Google block Safari browsers from using it's services. Plus blocking iphones from using Google maps?

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

i wish i could say 'create a worldwide front against apples arrogant and aggressive publicity and marketing' however i love my macbook pro so this would do me no good. If they continue to be such pr*cks then companies should start brushing off apple support to teach them a lesson though.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't see how anyone can love a macbook pro.

the lack of a right mouse button is enough to put it in the failure to qualify camp in my book.

I also really like middle mouse for scrolling, the scroll on a touch pad just isn't good enough for slowly reading down a page in the fashion i'm used too.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Technojunkie
    Thanks

Maybe apple is losing its "free pass" on all these shenanigans.
    Once they start to play in the same market as the big players, they have to start to play by the same rules.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    I also really like middle mouse for scrolling, the scroll on a touch pad just isn't good enough for slowly reading down a page in the fashion i'm used too.
    Newsflash: you can use any mouse with a mac, not just the supplied mouse...
    First thing I did was dump the apple keyboard and mouse when I bought a mac mini, in favour of a nice logitech set.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikerr View Post
    Newsflash: you can use any mouse with a mac, not just the supplied mouse...
    First thing I did was dump the apple keyboard and mouse when I bought a mac mini, in favour of a nice logitech set.
    Its a laptop.

Its purpose is to be used on the go, often on ones lap.

Thats like not reducing marks for a laptop which has a poor keyboard and display, because you can plug in an external one.

OilSheikh

So, Apple wants monopoly on it;s own devices.

Hmm.. so if Microsoft said we want to put Windows 7 on iphones, Apple is gonna fart again?

Thanks

Nuts to windows 7, the fact they have denied java, .net and flash.

.Net thou has a history of having native image generation, ngen has been used to improve performance for targeted apps for a while. As such someone has produced a toolset on this principle.

I honestly don't understand why people lampoon microsoft so much, and the press love apple so much. The new dell concept for instance, only 9.99mm thick, its compare to the backbook air, which is fatter than the lenovo which has optical drive, removable battery etc.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

I don't see how anyone can love a macbook pro.

the lack of a right mouse button is enough to put it in the failure to qualify camp in my book.

YOU dont see how anyone can love it because YOU dont like it.

I happen to prefer it so please step down from your high horse, other people can have different preferences to you.

No right click... you use cntrl and click if you really need it which after about 3 weeks of using it you dont as you get used to using the cmd key shortcuts for everything.

Im with you on apple turning down 3rd party apps support, its well ****ty, but just the same as i hate the elitist ******s who think apple is the best thing in the world i hate people who slate it for no good reason.

Technojunkie
    Thanks

Its a laptop.
    Its purpose is to be used on the go, often on ones lap.
    There's no rule that says you can't use a mouse with a laptop
    - many people happily use mice with laptops... which are often used on desks believe it or not
    I also really like middle mouse for scrolling, the scroll on a touch pad just isn't good enough
    if that you want a scrollwheel, use a mouse that has one...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    <failing to understand how awsome i am>
    Im with you on apple turning down 3rd party apps support, its well ****ty, but just the same as i hate the elitist ******s who think apple is the best thing in the world i hate people who slate it for no good reason.
    The 3rd party apps ruling is a total extreme dictatorship, it should not be supported in any way shape or form imo.

The reason i hate apple is the kool aid thing, the way so much of the press fawn themselfs of jobs mob. I like the nick farrel approch to press, list everythings flaws, all too often it lacks magnitude, but its the job of been a journo, not to gush.

Quote Originally Posted by mikerr View Post
    There's no rule that says you can't use a mouse with a laptop
    - many people happily use mice with laptops... which are often used on desks believe it or not

if that you want a scrollwheel, use a mouse that has one...
    Yes, but your missing the point, its like buying a mobile phone, only to be told that it has no battery and can only be used when plugged in.

So laptop designs i like:
    http://gadgets.boingboing.net/gimages/sony-vaio-p.jpg
    notice the middle mouse button.

The fact that apple refuse to add one is just pure stupidity, and shows a level of cutting of ones nose to spite ones face which I just can't understand why it would ever be bought in to.

A company which does its best to dictate the hardware its software can run on, and on its newest platform the software which can be run on it. I'm not some open source loon, I live and work in the real world, at the coalface and at the board level, I think microsoft has some truely great innovative products, same goes for IBM. So i'm not some anti-corperation commie guy.

I just believe in the free market, and that people shouldn't lock themselfs in to a company that forces substandard hardware designs for premium prices, then limits the software choice. The problem with my belief in the free market is the people who comprise it.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

The fact that apple refuse to add one is just pure stupidity, and shows a level of cutting of ones nose to spite ones face which I just can't understand why it would ever be bought in to.
    Again... personal preference. Its not pure stupidity at all they have engineered alternatives which work very well and are very popular... even to those (like me) who dont cuddle all their apple products at night but just like using them. If multi-touch software is so crap then why has microsoft encorporated facilities into W7 to support it?

A company which does its best to dictate the hardware its software can run on, and on its newest platform the software which can be run on it. I'm not some open source loon, I live and work in the real world, at the coalface and at the board level, I think microsoft has some truely great innovative products, same goes for IBM. So i'm not some anti-corperation commie guy.

I just believe in the free market, and that people shouldn't lock themselfs in to a company that forces substandard hardware designs for premium prices, then limits the software choice. The problem with my belief in the free market is the people who comprise it.
    I completely agree with you here, you will find very few arguments in most tech savvy forums just dont go off on an 'apple hardware is ****' tangent.

Thanks

Again... personal preference. Its not pure stupidity at all they have engineered alternatives which work very well and are very popular... even to those (like me) who dont cuddle all their apple products at night but just like using them. If multi-touch software is so crap then why has microsoft encorporated facilities into W7 to support it?
    They are not very popular, not by any extent of the imagination.

Multi-touch in a touch pad (which remember people have been doing on the PC long before win7, its a HID level decision, because its just a HID gesture) vrs win7 multi-touch is nothing like the same. The latter been a welcome extension to the tablet PC philosophies.

Plenty of cheapo netbooks, to save money on the number of moving parts, implement multi-touch touch pad for middle button. Its cheap, and not as intuitive, easy or fast as a physical button.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

They are not very popular, not by any extent of the imagination.

Multi-touch in a touch pad (which remember people have been doing on the PC long before win7, its a HID level decision, because its just a HID gesture) vrs win7 multi-touch is nothing like the same. The latter been a welcome extension to the tablet PC philosophies.

Plenty of cheapo netbooks, to save money on the number of moving parts, implement multi-touch touch pad for middle button. Its cheap, and not as intuitive, easy or fast as a physical button.
    Apple touchpads arent popular? fairly certain they are seeing as apple seem to be selling an aweful lot of systems with them. Iv used many cheap ones too... and they feel cheap but apples doesnt at all.

Touching the screen to navigate/ touching a to navigate pad / using gestures on a pad / using a gestures with a pen / using gestures with the screen- subtle differences assuming the technology is implemented correctly it all accomplishes similar thing - use of less/no buttons.

You still fail to actually prove anything about the use of multi touch pads or macs use of one button other than in your personal opinion, they are not as good fast or intuitive. I personally think they are great, fast and intuitive... once you get used to them (plus a single pad does look a lot smoother, not something which matters to everyone but some people care).

If two people who have both had experience can have opposite opinions can you not see where im coming from with this?

Thanks

Apple touchpads arent popular? fairly certain they are seeing as apple seem to be selling an aweful lot of systems with them. Iv used many cheap ones too... and they feel cheap but apples doesnt at all.
    Apple laptops are what 2.5% market share.

In my old company there where about 100 people i worked with. I have 3 friends from there, i've never thought of myself as popular before.

Touching the screen to navigate/ touching a to navigate pad / using gestures on a pad / using a gestures with a pen / using gestures with the screen- subtle differences assuming the technology is implemented correctly it all accomplishes similar thing - use of less/no buttons.
    OK, forgive me, I always go to my programmer/electronic engineer or now sys arch hat but. It is totaly fricken different.

touch pads, mice are dumb HIDs, they have no calibration, its entirely one way. You move your mouse north, north again, north still. You might have moved it 1000 pixels further north than the screen boundry, nothing happens, its not a haptic device, you don't get a pulse or anything.

Its a one directional data flow.

Gestures on a touch pad are exactly the same, they are a series of commands, some of which may be re-interpreted depending on the task at hand, in exactly the same way the space bar is sometimes for whitespace, pressing a button that already has keyboard focus, or jumping in a FPS.

A full touch system, is completely calibrated with the onscreen display, where you press has a direct effect depending on a multitude of system interactions.

I'm going out on a limb here, you've not used a multitouch win7 prototype? They are really quite 'cool' but I don't think i'll be buying one, keyboard and mouse are better when your at a desktop.

You still fail to actually prove anything about the use of multi touch pads or macs use of one button other than in your personal opinion, they are not as good fast or intuitive. I personally think they are great, fast and intuitive... once you get used to them (plus a single pad does look a lot smoother, not something which matters to everyone but some people care).

If two people who have both had experience can have opposite opinions can you not see where im coming from with this?
    Multitouch pads are totally different from a Multitouch PC experiance is all I was trying to say. This i can not begin to understand how anyone could refute.

I have used laptops which have multitouch gestures, thou they where very slow low end things (no i'm not taking a cheap shot at apple) such as the samsung netbook that has it. I wasn't very impressed.

It takes longer to do a gesture than it does to depress a key, so for middle mouse functionality, I feal like i should be able to express mathemetically why its better to have a middle mouse button if possible.

Considering for every time I middle mouse, i must right mouse three times more often, not having that is so stupid, I can't believe i'm having to justify it. It is a VERY quick, 100% reliable (no nasty huristic or ANN) that uses 0 CPU time (well above that of a USB HID response nowadays, or an interupt of old).

The only reason for getting rid of it is to reduce cost, or for asthetic reasons.

I'm not saying, for a second that having a right mouse means you can't have a multi-touch touch pad. You can have it all, espesually if you can affort the netbook price range

Thread Information