Thread: Analysis - Responses to Steve Jobs rant

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Analysis - Responses to Steve Jobs rant

The Apple CEO?s open letter addressing the failings of Adobe Flash has prompted many responses. Here are just a few.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Analysis - Responses to Steve Jobs rant

Microsoft response says it all really...

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spoon_ View Post
    Microsoft response says it all really...
    I agree, surprisingly I thought it was the most sensible comment - he didn't even plug Silverlight...

This does smack of megalomania from Apple/Jobs - they want total control and to keep the iGadgets as something different, I think they want to prevent you being able to get the same app on all platforms... perhaps in the hope developers will just make 1 version (for what they hope will be the dominant platform)... the iVersion...

I think Apple run the risk of setting themselves out in the cold, and if/when cross platform development tools and App stores for other phone OSs mean that the cumulative market share and revenue potential of Android/MeeGo/RIM/Win7M/Symbian dwarfs Apple/iTunes then developers will soon lose interest in fruity shenanigans.

Thanks

To me it just seems like Jobs wanting to have his cake and eat it, as it where. No Flash isn't ideal, yes it could have certain aspects improved.... but there is an easy way for a company like Apple to make those changes happen... get involved.

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    he didn't even plug Silverlight...
    It's not really needed to plug it now, it's the de-facto standard for WP7 for media applications IIRC along with XNA 4.0, so if the device does well the support and occurrence of use will rise
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Question Re: Analysis - Responses to Steve Jobs rant

Interesting article - but I find it kind of cool that the "best" response was from a Hexus-er - directhex. To me at least, there was more sense in that response than the others, (although a Silverlight-plug-less Microsoft would also figure in my ratings). Nice one!

The point that DirectHex makes about this being the latest move by el Jobs wanting to restrict the available development platforms is very interesting to me - so apparently, now do you not only have to pass the iTMS "inquisition", but you're also limited in what you can use to develop your app, (specifically no cross-platform frameworks like Mono etc). It strikes me as a barely-covert way to get app developers to be Apple-only.

The problem with that - of course - is that app developers are a studdorn lot, and if you start making life difficult for them, then they'll go where the pickings are easier like - for example - Android. Certainly if I was a mobile platform developer then I'd be looking long and hard at whether iTMS was still worthwhile - luckily I'm not in that position (it's the "big iron" for me). Then if the numbers of "active" app developers drops then surely the Apple platform loses it's #1 advantage - the sheer number of apps available in iTMS?

Maybe Apple need to be reminded of that old cliché about "pride coming before a fall"?

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

If I was a high up exec of Adobe, I'd end further development of CS5 for OSX and shift to Linux. Keep the current version, offer discounts for people to swap across to other platforms and enjoy watching as the Mac dies as a development platform...

Mr. Jobs will have got his wish then, eh? I really do believe he wants to get rid of OSX and just do phones and iplods. My son has an iplod touch and it requires a recharge at least once a day and with the non removeable battery, chances are he'll need a new one before a year is up. I feel that is the best way to ensure people keep buying them...

He loves it, so do the rest of the kids of his age (11) and even they all laugh at how crap the battery life is. Non of them actually put music on them, they just download crap free apps and games, and to be fair to them, that's all they want to do. The older kids dismiss iplods as toys and buy "real" things. Those are their words not mine. Good sustaineable business you have there Apple.

Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thread Information