Thread: Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Registered+
    In a house, a very big house in the country
    Thanks

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right, my hard drive atm is partitioned (40gig each part.). I brought a new hard drive the other day due to running out of space (my D:\ part. is full and my C:\ part. which I norm use just for windows, is starting to get full). I installed my new hard drive and it seemed like it was working fine, so I put the stuff I had on my C:\ drive onto my new drive, then I formatted my windows drive (C:\) to start a fresh on it. I had trouble installing windows 98 (which I have done lots of time before) in that it crashed once, then I formatted again, and now I am being told that I cannot format C:\ without losing all of my data on the drive, it is not even recognised in DOS, if I type C:\, I get told "invalid parameter" (I think). So then I tried it with my new drive and hay presto, the same thing. So I used my sisters hard drive and when using it with one of my other drives in windows, which are buggered, it says "D:\ is not accesible. The parameter is incorrect". and I went into Manage and all I could do in there was convert the disk to a basic disk. So the only solution I can see is too format both the drives again but I REALLY don't want to do that as I will lose so much data. Can anyone please help me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am desperate!!!!!!!!!

--dwarfer
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - 4GB RAM - XFX NVIDIA GeForce 8800 384MB - NEC Optiarc 20x Lightscribe DVD+/-RW/RAM - Windows 7

Thanks
    • funnelhead's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Ultra Durable Z170
      • CPU:
      • Skylake 6600T + NZXT Kraken X41 Watercooler
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 256GB NVMe M.2 + 512GB SSD + 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 980X
      • PSU:
      • 850W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define R5
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Entreprise
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 34" Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit
    hmmmm well if it is tallking about converting it to a basic drive then you might have it set to a dynamic drive..... which are only readable in win 2000 and xp. A basic drive is a 'normal' drive. try converting it.

Also be aware that win 98 has issues about installing anywhere other than the first partition of the first drive...

good luck let me know how you do....

F
    Do you think when Jesus comes back..... he ever wants to see another cross.......? *{God bless you Bill}

.::HomeServer::.
    #Dual 50W Xeons @2.5Ghz, 16GB, 34TB DrivePool, UPS#
    #Plex on all the screens#
    #Squeezeplay on all the Jogglers#

My Hexus Trust
    My Items for sale

Registered+
    In a house, a very big house in the country
    Thanks
    Cheers mate, I'll try and give it a go

-dwarfer
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - 4GB RAM - XFX NVIDIA GeForce 8800 384MB - NEC Optiarc 20x Lightscribe DVD+/-RW/RAM - Windows 7

Thanks
    If the drive is dynamic and not basic then windows 98 just won't be able to use it. Infact, even windows 2k/XP have their quibbles with them.

Furthermore, to convert back to a basic disk, you lose all data on the drive :\

You'll have to try to read the data off from a 2k/XP machine, then wipe it, and copy the data back once made basic & formatted, if you can.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thread Information