Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reviews - ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Reviews - ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime

World's first quad-core tablet reviewed and rated.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Reviews - ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime

Looks nice, still, not enough to pull me form my Xoom tho..

Will just have to see what ICS brings, hopefully Google will sort their s**t out as well as far as tablet apps on the Market go.

Any chance of you guys doing some sort of generational comnparison up, the original Transformer vs this one, or at least some sort of old vs new, I'm sure you could pick up a Xoom or similar to compare it too...

Thanks
    • streetster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 750 2.67 @ 4.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2x1TB Drives [RAID0]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2xSapphire HD 4870 512MB CrossFireX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Black Widow
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2311
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 50Mb

The benchmarks surprise me... how multi-threaded is the multi-thread test? Looks to be ~double the performance of single-threaded rather than closer to 4x... Seems a bit off to me?

Thanks

BBC iPlayer - Just use Stock Browser to access instead.
    Facebook - Current market app works fine on honeycomb.
    Flipboard - Just use News360 or Pulse App instead
    Kindle - Current market app works fine on honeycomb.
    LOVEFiLM Player - Just use Stock Browser to access instead.
    Rightmove - Just use Stock Browser to access instead.
    Sky Player - Coming Soon Q1 latest
    Skype - Current market app works fine on honeycomb.
    Twitter - Current market app works fine on honeycomb.

What does tablet optimised mean to you?

To me it just means it supports the native screen size that's all and my Asus Transformer resizes the non native tablet apps for me. Not had any problems, all functionality is retained.
    Last edited by saltyzip; 16-12-2011 at 01:04 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by streetster View Post
    The benchmarks surprise me... how multi-threaded is the multi-thread test? Looks to be ~double the performance of single-threaded rather than closer to 4x... Seems a bit off to me?
    Hence why I think the benchmarks should throw sometihng like a Xoom or similar into the bag, give us a bit more of an Android vs Android test rather than Android vs iPad and iPad2, infact why is the original iPad even in there, we know the iPad2 trumps the iPad across the board, yet for some reason were not being shown a more relivant iPad2, Tegra2 vs Tegra3 set of benchmarks...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saltyzip View Post
    BBC iPlayer - Just use Stock Browser to access instead.
    Facebook - Current market app works fine on honeycomb.
    Flipboard - Just use News360 or Pulse
    Kindle - Current market app works fine on honeycomb.
    LOVEFiLM Player - Just use Stock Browser to access instead.
    Rightmove - Just use Stock Browser to access instead.
    Sky Player - Coming Soon Q1 latest
    Skype - Current market app works fine on honeycomb.
    Twitter - Current market app works fine on honeycomb.

What does tablet optimised mean to you?

To me it just means it supports the native screen size that's all and my Asus Transformer resizes the non native tablet apps for me. Not had any problems, all functionality is retained.

Think the point is that "theres an app" for that, yet on the Android front there isnt, its just a case of using the browser, yes being able to use a fully functional browser is nice but for ease of use having an "app for that" makes things easier, especially if you have kids that use your tablet..

Thanks

Take the benchmarks with a pinch of salt until ICS arrives. It is widely known honeycomb isn't optimised for quad core and doesn't have a hardware accelerated UI.

I have the original Asus Transformer and love it. I purchased it on the basis of good reviews, Asus brand, price (Paid £275) and Asus have confirmed it will be upgradable with ICS in the not too distant future.

Biggest want from ICS is the hardware accelerated UI, finally should support super smooth scrolling from Android Market to Web Browsing!

Fingers Crossed!
    Last edited by saltyzip; 16-12-2011 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    Think the point is that "theres an app" for that, yet on the Android front there isnt, its just a case of using the browser, yes being able to use a fully functional browser is nice but for ease of use having an "app for that" makes things easier, especially if you have kids that use your tablet..
    My point is there is an App for that!

5 of the Apps stated as missing have Apps available on the Android Market, fully functional apps too for running on this tablet, it is just they are not tablet optimized, as in they have a specific version for a tablet size screen. Out of the Apps listed and aren't supported by an App on Android which ones are the kids going to use?

Most Droid developers have taken the easy option for now and support one app, ensuring it resizes correctly for Tablets.

No different from the same PC application running on a 10" screen or a 24" screen, you don't need specific versions. If a developer makes specific versions for screen size then you can charge twice for the same app, this is the Apple Model. Android has to support so many different size screens this model isn't so black and white.
    Last edited by saltyzip; 16-12-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Thanks

I meant in general, if theres an app its easier than firing up a browser and then navigating to the place you want to get too...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    I meant in general, if theres an app its easier than firing up a browser and then navigating to the place you want to get too...
    I agree but out of the "Core" apps which in itself is a personal preference, which ones aren't available?

These are my core selection and they all have Apps available and duly installed on my Asus Transformer:

Facebook
    Google+
    Latitude
    Google Earth
    Twitter
    eMail
    Google Calendar
    YouTube
    IMDB
    Sky+
    ITV Player
    BT Fon
    DropBox
    eBay
    Paypal
    Sky News
    Guardian
    Kindle
    Google Books
    Spotify
    Tesco Groceries
    Yell.com
    Pocketmags
    British Gas
    eON

I don't feel I am missing out on anything from using the Android platform, the market has my core requirements covered and more!

Hexus please compare the Twitter, Facebook, Skype Apps on Android vs the tablet optimized version on iPad so I can see what this reviewer appears to be referring too, to backup the claims?
    Last edited by saltyzip; 16-12-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

App store aside it seems to be an awesome piece of kit let down by sub-standard Android software, if the benchmarks are to be believed. Let's hope the ICS update bring Android up to speed. The idea of running windows 8 on this machine is sorely tempting, I wonder how far you could take it's gaming capabilities...

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

ASUS's Eee Pad Transformer Prime is being touted as the latest "iPad Killer"
    Am I the only person who loathes that description?
    When the Eee Pad Transformer Prime lands on our shores in January, British buyers will have only one configuration to choose from; a 32GB Wi-Fi-only bundle priced at £499 that includes the detachable keyboard dock. That's £20 more than the equivalent-capacity iPad 2 (or £100 more than Apple's entry-level 16GB model), and about the same price as a mid-range Windows laptop.
    Asus' spokesfolks have been quoted as saying that they'll consider a 16GB model (or keyboard less one) depending on how the sales of this "top end" one go. Personally, if they don't do these models then they're out of their minds! Especially the 16GB model (which'd undercut the iPad2).
    That said, I can't see the point of buying the Transformer without the keyboard dock - if you feel you don't need it then surely you'd be better served by one of the Samsung Galaxy Tab's? (even if it means getting stuff thrown at you by iPad owners)
    The display is without a doubt one of the Prime's strongest features, but it isn't entirely fault free as we experienced an unexpected occurrence of backlight bleed. It's most visible during dark scenes or images (the boot sequence being a good example), and the bleed is most severe along the right edge of the screen.
    Same here - it's only really noticeable on the boot screen and the very occasional app - although strangely enough Galaxy on Fire - being a space-based game - doesn't show this issue.
    Turning each of the devices on from a complete off state, we found that the iPad 2 on average booted to the lock screen in 16.8 seconds. The Transformer Prime takes almost a minute-and-a-half to kick into action. Of course, you could leave the device in standby [snipped] but the test is nonetheless a good indication of how well optimised the respective platforms are.
    I don't see how quick boot time is necessarily a good metric for a well optimised OS. E.g. Splashtop boots in <2 seconds on my tower, and Windows7 in a lot longer - so I can't really see an argument that Splashtop is a "better" OS than Windows7.
    Remember that the Transformer's have more hardware to startup/check-for, so that's surely going to account for some of the wait. That said, I would have agreed that the boot time for the current Transformer is too long, (and don't get me started on the TouchPad!), maybe ICS will sort this out (but I suspect not).
    And then there's also the issue of price. Apple's iPad 2 is simpler to use, tied to a vast library of apps, quicker in most benchmarks and available from £399. The Transformer Prime costs £100 more, and though it's intriguing enough to be worthy of consideration, you can't ignore the fact that fully-fledged laptops are available at around the same price.
    Is the iPad2 "simpler to use"? I'm not entirely convinced. And on the flip side, all the way through the review there are statements that the Transformer Prime has better hardware. In which case you've got to draw the conclusion that it's the reviewed OS that is the culprit. Remember - of course - that the ATP's on the shelves will have ICS not Honeycomb.
    So yes, I'd also like to see a revisit of this review (which to be honest I'm taking as "preview") when the proper OS is available. (Although I'm looking forward to seeing ICS on my Transformer more!)
    Quote Originally Posted by saltyzip View Post
    I don't feel I am missing out on anything from using the Android platform, the market has my core requirements covered and more!

Hexus please compare the Twitter, Facebook, Skype Apps on Android vs the tablet optimized version on iPad so I can see what this reviewer appears to be referring too, to backup the claims?
    I'll second that request! Unfortunately this "claim" of lack of tablet apps is one I've heard trotted out by iPad fanboys frequently - and when you ask for more information, "tablet optimised" seems to boil down to being able to run full-screen without any trickery like zooming.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Good looking tablet, i would buy one if i could justify the pricing! If i win the lottery soon i will buy one without hestitation but at the minute id rather spend £500 on a gtx580/6970 and grab a second monitor or something so i can finally run BF3 on ultra .

In regard to apps, i agree its a bit hard to compare and from experience things like facebook are SO much better accessed via the browser, simply open browser hit the bookmark and you're done. I tend to use opera and if im in a terrible signal area i can tell it to use opera turbo and i can disable images, its also faster in general regardless of signal (university wifi 100Mb/s connections), the fb app is sluggish takes damn long time to load.

And for the benchmarks, i think its clear that really its not optimised... you could have said that about Ie9 when it was released and was being hammered by chrome in benches yet after a few updates its significantly faster!. Benches on the tegra 2 chips werent optimised aswell which was why phones like the O2x and Atrix were behind yet as soon as they were out for a bit the benches were finally getting their act together and you can actually see T2 outperforming other chips .

In my opinion Nvidia have kinda gone the wrong way about the tegra designs, quad core is good for gaming yeah but for actually doing processes like browsing it becomes a bit redundant as i bet clock speeds provide a signifcant boost rather than adding more cores. They should have concentrated on getting it to a 2.5Ghz or something above the 2 value and then increase the cores in T4, it would have provided a better boost as there isnt always a good way to design basic apps as multithreaded .

Really though im hoping Asus sends this tablet over to MS to get Windows 8, i dislike Android really the only thing i like is the fact you can change almost ever aspect but thats it... i dont want loads of apps that are crappy kids apps, i want professional apps (i.e office, virtual machines, remote desktop etc) they seem to lack these on android and the apps that are actually present could be much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    Really though im hoping Asus sends this tablet over to MS to get Windows 8, i dislike Android really the only thing i like is the fact you can change almost ever aspect but thats it... i dont want loads of apps that are crappy kids apps, i want professional apps (i.e office, virtual machines, remote desktop etc) they seem to lack these on android and the apps that are actually present could be much better.
    Good posting (especially the bit I had to snip - very interesting) Just going to pick you up on something in that quote, namely apps:
    Office - there's a couple of these (Polaris, QuickOffice, etc) - I use Docs2Go because I need Office2007 () file compatibility and it's fully "Google Docs aware";
    Virtual machines - it's a tablet ffs, not a laptop. Although I'd be fascinated to find out what OS you wanted to run in a VM on a tablet!
    Remote desktop - there's a couple of VNC clients available (some free, others at reasonable price). Asus supply Splashtop remote desktop, which I've used to "dial into" (is that the right way to put it?) a full blown Windows7 desktop.

Yes, there's a lot of "crappy kids apps", but conversely there's some real gems - e.g. a simple photo editing app by Adobe, a drawing app by Autodesk. What makes me laugh is how difficult it's been to sort wheat from chaff - especially since Google is famous for search - but at least it's getting better/easier.
    Last edited by crossy; 16-12-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

My examples were done in a rush so maybe not 100% relative .

I have used docs2go and it was alright but the price of it put me off and looking for alternatives i finally found kingsoft office, it seems faster than the rest but it still is quite slow to load documents and search for documents unfortunately . I just wish MS office was available on it as my old HD2 has 2010 and it was brilliant on WM 6.5.5.

Virtual machines, yeah thats probably one of the irrelevant suggestions i made lol but i think what im overlapping is that it is essentially a tablet and a laptop, its got to that point where the speeds are getting better and better and this will certainly be an option when intel comes back into the game next year.

Remote desktop, i will have a look at them just last time i tried using some they werent that great tbh, however i guess the market should have matured a bit by now!.

Oh yeah i agree with the gem bit, there are a few but trawling through all of them is a task and a half, i blame Apple mainly for this as its all about how many "Apps" they have rather than relevant / useful apps (Fart button comes to mind ).

I think the main reason i feel so let down by the applications is that when i had my HD2 it was on windows mobile 6.5.5 yet it had a strong office application, remote logins and a very smooth browsing experience along with a huge line of compatibility. I also found it to be the best in terms of UI, the WM6.5.5 titanium GUI was extremely simple and fast and then ofc HTC sense which was the best compromise between speed and eye candy but now WM has gone i feel a bit left out .
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Am I the only person who loathes that description?
    I hate it too, it's all about healthy competition in my books, iPad is excellent and so is this Asus Tablet, even more so when it gets ICS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information