Thread: News - Apple plans Siri expansion and upgrade

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Apple plans Siri expansion and upgrade

Voice-controlled assistant will be more intelligent, patent reveals.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Macman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i9 9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce RTX2080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

Re: News - Apple plans Siri expansion and upgrade

This is going to be an uphill struggle for Apple, unless they bring out a Scottish Siri

"Ach didnae' ken man" :L

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Plans for Siri’s mass integration into new products doesn’t stop there either, with Apple planning to eventually implement its digital voice assistant into vehicles and other entertainment systems.
    Don't think I like the idea of a Siri-powered car. Apart from anything else I thought it relied on having a data connection, so if you're out of range then surely that means your fancy voice-enhanced, self-powered, mobile multimedia-enabled, personal transport reverts back to being a mere automobile?
    In a new patent filed by Apple, plans have been revealed to turn its iOS voice-controlled software assistant, which is currently only available on iPhone, into an “Intelligent Automated Assistant” capable of ordering items online.
    Translation: voice enabled ecommerce app. Not sure I'd like to see this - as I'm quite content to use the current methods. Although more Siri = less fingerprints on the screen, which is a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman View Post
    This is going to be an uphill struggle for Apple, unless they bring out a Scottish Siri. "Ach didnae' ken man" :L
    Nah, SNP's going to sue them in Texas for discrimination. The resulting damages will be used to pay some money towards an independent Scotland contribution to the UK national debt.
    (tongue firmly in cheek)

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

MonkeyMo

Why are so many not getting what was actually covered in the report you link to? Don't people read anymore? Siri powered car? Really? Not. It's about using your iphone hands free in the car, which is the law in many countries. If you don't want to use Siri for e-commerce, you'll be able to turn that feature off like any other iPhone feature. Like most features on the iPhone, you'll pick and chose what works for you.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyMo View Post
    Why are so many not getting what was actually covered in the report you link to? Don't people read anymore? Siri powered car? Really? Not. It's about using your iphone hands free in the car, which is the law in many countries. If you don't want to use Siri for e-commerce, you'll be able to turn that feature off like any other iPhone feature. Like most features on the iPhone, you'll pick and chose what works for you.
    Maybe you should take your own advice and read the article linked to!?

It clearly says that there's a possibility of a Siri client being the hub that controls not only the car's satnav, but also music selection. And given the pace set by high end manufacturers like Mercedes it's not beyond the bounds of reason that other, non safety-related, features like climate control will also be added. So if this implementation of Siri requires a data connection, and you lose that data connection, then it clear that you'll lose that functionality. Not a life threat in itself, unless it forces a poor driver to start fumbling with a touch interface that perhaps he's not familiar with. Given Apple's "smarts" though I doubt very much that they haven't/won't take this into account.

Being totally contrary for a moment, it's not inconceivable that this Siri-commmerce feature becomes the "preferred" option. So yes, there will undoubtedly be a fallback for refuseniks, but perhaps that will be severely feature limited? We're crystal ball gazing remember, so anything's possible.

And before you cast me as "anti-Apple" I'm not - Siri IS undoubtedly a good achievement and one worth celebrating. Heck, if nothing else it convinced me to slap a copy of Vlingo on my Android phone - and while I don't really use the voice recognition features, I've come to love the ability to have a natural language (ish) voice reading out my text messages.

Parting shot - I'd prefer that car manufacturers continue to push Bluetooth integration, rather than some proprietary schema that suits one manufacturer's products alone. ATM a "Siri-inside" sticker on a car would be a turn-off for me, at least until that Siri client worked with the same ubiquity as Bluetooth currently does.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Siri-ously??

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Hexus
    The patent also reveals that Siri could be used across the complete range of Apple devices, including iMac, MacBook, iPad, iPod Touch and Apple TV.
    Does this include removing the purely software limitation that stops it working on a normal iPhone 4?

OK I am being inflammatory there..but still, I can definitely see the point of this. Siri on a phone is pretty damn useless other than for showing off to your mates - but put it into a car system (even just as a pass through that works with BT sets) and you have some awesome functionality.

Partnership with Audi please!

AlexKitch

I don't buy into the whole voice recognition fad.

I've never done *anything* on my iPhone and thought "that would've been a whole lot easier if only I'd been able to speak to my phone. If the OS is designed correctly, nothing should ever be more than 1-2 quick touches away, which is why I'm a big fan of where Microsoft are going with Metro.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    Does this include removing the purely software limitation that stops it working on a normal iPhone 4?

OK I am being inflammatory there..but still, I can definitely see the point of this. Siri on a phone is pretty damn useless other than for showing off to your mates - but put it into a car system (even just as a pass through that works with BT sets) and you have some awesome functionality.

Partnership with Audi please!
    Agreed. It's about the only time when using your fingers to navigate an OS is really inconvenient.

Thread Information