Thread: News - BBC Worldwide annual profits up 8 per cent

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - BBC Worldwide annual profits up 8 per cent

Digital now accounts for nearly 13 per cent of revenue.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • MrNeil's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z490 VISION G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 10700KF
      • Memory:
      • 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz
      • Storage:
      • x2 Kingston 240GB HyperX SSDWD + 480gig evo 500GB Caviar Blue Hard
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 Red Dragon
      • PSU:
      • 850W EVGA SuperNOVA G2,
      • Case:
      • NZXT H440 STEEL Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Window 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC G2770PF 144Hz and a HP 27hq
      • Internet:
      • TalkyTalk 76mb

Re: News - BBC Worldwide annual profits up 8 per cent

good on them

Pseudo-Mad Scientist Whiternoise's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Whiternoise's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI LANPARTY JR P45-T2RS
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 5.6TB Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4780
      • PSU:
      • 425W Modu82+ Enermax
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08b
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 23" IPS
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbps Fibre Line

Agreed, fantastic that they can provide quality broadcasting and essentially stop people from needing to watch live television any more and still manage to turn a pretty hefty profit. Although they've dropped about 500 hours of sport last year, that's got to save some cash in licensing?

Thanks
    • MrBozack's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k @4.47mHz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LP Blue DDR3
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Vertex 3 SSD Array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD 7850 OC Windforce X2 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX 650W
      • Case:
      • SilverStone LC17
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro with MCE
      • Monitor(s):
      • Toshiba 40" LCD
      • Internet:
      • 24mb Copper

I'm sorry I think the other posters are confusing this BBC with a different one. Here's my take on it. I'm not trolling, just offering my view.

BBC charges each UK household £145.50 per year. Other countries in Europe can get it free of charge.

Even if you don't watch TV and just own a capable device - you still owe them. No TV, but your landlord has an aerial on the roof? Tough guff - pay up. If I sell you an electrical item (think graphics card or DVD player), I'm required by law to notify licensing so they can chase you up for the money.

BBC claim they don't advertise, hence the license fee. Yet all of their programs get sold to subsidiary companies like UKTV on freeview. These companies then take the shows (UK license payers bought) and fill them with a ton of adverts on Dave and Yesterday.

BBC news is bias. They are the voice of the state and tell us lies. They've told us hurricanes weren't coming and lied about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. BBC reported the collapse of WTC Building 7 TWICE before it happened. There's a million reasons not to believe their news. I believe the political viewpoint is just to corrupt and biased.

BBC had the funding and manpower to chase up and successfully prosecute 400,000 poor people/license evaders in 2010. Elsewhere we saw massive cuts in public spending, higher tuition fees and the global economic downturn. ....and the best thing they could offer that Christmas was a 5 year old Disney Pixar movie everyone had already seen?

I'm sorry, but BBC tastes like pure nationalistic propaganda to me.

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

Quote Originally Posted by MrBozack View Post
    I'm sorry I think the other posters are confusing this BBC with a different one. Here's my take on it. I'm not trolling, just offering my view.

BBC charges each UK household £145.50 per year. Other countries in Europe can get it free of charge.

Even if you don't watch TV and just own a capable device - you still owe them. No TV, but your landlord has an aerial on the roof? Tough guff - pay up. If I sell you an electrical item (think graphics card or DVD player), I'm required by law to notify licensing so they can chase you up for the money.

BBC claim they don't advertise, hence the license fee. Yet all of their programs get sold to subsidiary companies like UKTV on freeview. These companies then take the shows (UK license payers bought) and fill them with a ton of adverts on Dave and Yesterday.

BBC news is bias. They are the voice of the state and tell us lies. They've told us hurricanes weren't coming and lied about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. BBC reported the collapse of WTC Building 7 TWICE before it happened. There's a million reasons not to believe their news. I believe the political viewpoint is just to corrupt and biased.

BBC had the funding and manpower to chase up and successfully prosecute 400,000 poor people/license evaders in 2010. Elsewhere we saw massive cuts in public spending, higher tuition fees and the global economic downturn. ....and the best thing they could offer that Christmas was a 5 year old Disney Pixar movie everyone had already seen?

I'm sorry, but BBC tastes like pure nationalistic propaganda to me.

6. Received thanks from:

cameronlite (17-07-2012)

Drum & Bass Till I Die deejayburnout's Avatar
    Thanks
    • deejayburnout's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 2600 at stock speeds ( for now)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x Corsair 8GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Gigabyte 128GB M.2 PCIe x2 NVMe SSD, 120GB Kingston SV200, 2 x 1TB WD Drive, 2 x 2TB WD Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix RX 580 8G Gaming OC Edition
      • PSU:
      • OCZ 750 Watt
      • Case:
      • NZXT Noctis 450
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UM65-P Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 72mb Down 19mb up - Vodafone

Hear Hear

Thats why i dont watch the new. Propaganda.

Have you noticed that whenever something major is happening that proves the government are wrong/scum/filthy rotten soundrels, the bbc reports on something to 'Divert you attention'
    Better to Burn out than Fade Away
    Check out my Youtube channel - Crispy Crisperson

Registered+
    Thanks

Even if you don't watch TV and just own a capable device - you still owe them. No TV, but your landlord has an aerial on the roof? Tough guff - pay up.
    Not quite

You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast.
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/

Doesn't stop them sending you threatening letters and implying that they have a legal right to search your home though :s

Thanks
    • MrNeil's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z490 VISION G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 10700KF
      • Memory:
      • 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz
      • Storage:
      • x2 Kingston 240GB HyperX SSDWD + 480gig evo 500GB Caviar Blue Hard
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 Red Dragon
      • PSU:
      • 850W EVGA SuperNOVA G2,
      • Case:
      • NZXT H440 STEEL Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Window 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC G2770PF 144Hz and a HP 27hq
      • Internet:
      • TalkyTalk 76mb

£145.50 a year .Thats about £12 a month
    Alot of people pay like up to £60 on top for Sky,upto £30 a moth for a mobile and around £20 a month for landline and internet !!!
    Ok £12 a month those channels the websites and radio ! Thats good value i think
    Someone will say that channels are crap !! Well so are most of the repeated sky channels with adverts every 10 minutes !!
    I have freeveiw and freesat and im happy
    BBC news tells liesand are bias ?? Well thats all the news channels that lie then dont they !!!

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Yes they do, but its usually 1 or 2 channels at most, and the shows are of poor quality/repeats. All my European friends say they have to have their cable/satellite equivalents. Almost no movies are ever shown and certainly no sport.
    You do not have to have a licence if you own a capable device, it is if you watch/record broadcast television, it doesnt matter if you are capable of receiving it or not. You should update your knowledge below:
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i...atch-tv-top12/
    BBC Worldwide part owns UKTV not the BBC
    I'll agree their offerings are dwindling of late and I think they have become too big. Too many channels, too many radio stations and a lack of focus. A mistake any large company can make.

Thanks
    • MrBozack's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k @4.47mHz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LP Blue DDR3
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Vertex 3 SSD Array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD 7850 OC Windforce X2 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX 650W
      • Case:
      • SilverStone LC17
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro with MCE
      • Monitor(s):
      • Toshiba 40" LCD
      • Internet:
      • 24mb Copper

Well aside from these technical niggles; it's hard to praise the BBC. They've been caught being unscrupulous on a number of occasions. The comedy isn't funny. The soap opera is tedious. Even their drama has to be "Squeaky-BBC-Clean". There's little sport either. Come to think of it, there's not much on BBC that really reflects how people in the UK are living in the 21st century, is there? Perhaps Glastonbury... The BBC CEO must be an old draconian Victorian school mistress or something.

I didn't even touch on the fact they advertise their own books and DVD's. There's some more profit right there to add with their [Partly owned] subsidiary channels. Then there's the subscription other channels have to pay to use the transmitting equipment. I believe the BBC own that too.

I firmly believe the TV license is a modern day window-tax. I'm really not surprised they are 8% richer. They're getting paid by everyone and they make all the rules regarding licensing and broadcasting.
    Oh and I'm not claiming Sky or ITV are any better either, but come on... they've always put out better shows, especially when we were kids.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

The 8% has nothing to do with the UK License Fee (which the BBC does not collect, it is collected by the government and then given to the BBC as funding. The government is allowed to do other things with this revenue), it is purey from commercial operations as discussed in the article.

Yup, the BBC own and maintain some of the UKs broadcasting infrastructure, there are others that own the rest. It makes total sense that they do, they have the obligation to maintain and provide that service to the other broadcasters, regardless of the economics of doing that. Do they make money from this? I have no idea, but I suspect it just helps them with the cost of maintaining and developing this national resource.

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Wouldnt say the BBC is good or bad value really, the problem with catering for everyone is that some will get good use out of it and others will get bugger all. For me I get the value of watching things like Doctor Who, Merlin and lots of news (Christ, i wouldnt wish Sky news on anyone... its ****e) and the motorsport which unfortunately has pissed me off after getting such good F1 coverage we finally got reduced to having a handful of live races and the rest on flipping sky which costs £20 extra + £7 for hd at virgin , same with motogp iirc which is a massive shame!.

If bbc kept all the motorsport id be extremely happy, i dont watch soaps so it doesnt affect me and can get annoying seeing eastenders on all the time but i get that alot of people love it so its swings and roundabouts. The online side of it, its good but you dont need a license to watch it so I wouldnt really class it as part of the value in the license as anyone can use it apart from the live bit which doesnt work very well ime.

BBC news is solid, they arent getting money for making the most bull**** ridden articles or "stories" as they arent getting advertising sales or money per viewer, they get a set fee done and done so no faff. Every other news site presents it terribly and incorrectly, things like daily mail pee me off as i could make better stories .

So its good BBC is making more profit from the international side, its nice to see profits in an area not effected by our license as if they were making a profit nationally id expect a % reduction in the fee .
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thread Information