Thread: Reviews - TP-Link AV500 Gigabit Powerline Adapter Starter Kit (TL-PA511KIT)

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Reviews - TP-Link AV500 Gigabit Powerline Adapter Starter Kit (TL-PA511KIT)

High-speed Powerline networking for under 50 quid.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Reviews - TP-Link AV500 Gigabit Powerline Adapter Starter Kit (TL-PA511KIT)

I am using 200Mbps TP-Link kit myself and love it. Very easy to install and no issues what so ever. Speed is definitely not 200MBps or anywhere near but setup is easy and since I rent I don't need to drill walls etc. Also my walls and all electrics are horrible. We've had 2 'floods' (tap left running in attic) and it was never properly fixed. So.. Can't expect decent signal over copper that is questionable quality at this stage. Plus 2 wires Vs 8 for data is clear where to go for better quality and speed.
    Good article. Spot on conclusion.

Thanks
    • dcwt2010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V Gen 3
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500k @ 4.0GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 96GB SSD Kingston V100+, 1TB Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2GB 660 ti Palit Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 24in
      • Internet:
      • Virginmedia 30Mbs

I literally just installed the 200Mbs kit as the above user and I can attest that for up to 30Mbs (that's the max of our Virgin line) it is more than adequate and so easy to setup.

Registered+
    Thanks

I love TP-link equipment have been using it for a while and have found that while it isn't always the fastest for me it hits the golden triangle of networking stable performance, reliable operation, and low cost.

Previously known as Wozza365
    Thanks
    • Wozza63's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX 8150 @4.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Intel 120GB SSD, 4TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX850
      • Case:
      • Akasa Venom Toxic
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XG270HU + Iiyama E2473HDS x2

Wow, I didnt realise 85mbps, I thought that it would be 10mbps and thats why i only got an 85mbps set, I only get 1.2MB/s which is a bit below that set of 85s but they probably use brand new wires where my house wiring is probably 20 years old, think i may have to get myself a 500meg pair, considering they are going quite cheap now, it seems i get everything just before it drops in price, I paid £140 for my 120GB SSD and now you can get em for like £50

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza365 View Post
    Wow, I didnt realise 85mbps, I thought that it would be 10mbps and thats why i only got an 85mbps set, I only get 1.2MB/s which is a bit below that set of 85s but they probably use brand new wires where my house wiring is probably 20 years old, think i may have to get myself a 500meg pair, considering they are going quite cheap now, it seems i get everything just before it drops in price, I paid £140 for my 120GB SSD and now you can get em for like £50
    Never look back at things like that. You get everything fresh and get all the benefits of new tech while others wait You know the drill, there are Innovators followed by Early Adopters followed by Majority and then Laggards. Btw Apple fans are somewhat new breed of Camping Innovators - kind of culture of theirs.

Thanks
    • Barrichello's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4790 (3.60Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2 x (250GB) Samsung 840 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce GTX 770 (DC2OC 2GB GDDR5)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750HX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Linux/Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2720T
      • Internet:
      • 100MB/100MB

Hey guys, thanks for mentioning the 200mbps TP-Link as i am looking at them (only £28 on Amazon at the moment) can you confirm though if they have the same feature as the 500mbps kit reviews in regards to....
    The latter is particularly useful - it glows green when the data rate is more than 80Mbps, orange when the data rate is between 48Mbps and 80Mbps, and red when the data rate is less than 48Mbps - so you know straight away how suitable your environment is.
    Sounds like a good feature, my router only allows 100mbps so probably best i go for the lower spec ones,and be good to see what kind of quality the wiring is like in my house

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Shockingly good!!

Thanks

I have 1 kit already and ordering another one to expand. My wife was fuming to see how fast my net was in comparison to wireless. Had to get one for her as well and will have one to spare. I think you shouldn't worry too much since you are not going to rip all the wires and reinstall everything even if the light is red. Just go for it and make sure you plug directly into wall - not extension lead socket etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrichello View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for mentioning the 200mbps TP-Link as i am looking at them (only £28 on Amazon at the moment) can you confirm though if they have the same feature as the 500mbps kit reviews in regards to....
    The latter is particularly useful - it glows green when the data rate is more than 80Mbps, orange when the data rate is between 48Mbps and 80Mbps, and red when the data rate is less than 48Mbps - so you know straight away how suitable your environment is.
    Sounds like a good feature, my router only allows 100mbps so probably best i go for the lower spec ones,and be good to see what kind of quality the wiring is like in my house

Dark side super agent
    Thanks

Why do none of these kits have pass through plugs anymore? That's a right pain for me.
    An Atlantean Triumvirate, Ghosts of the Past, The Centre Cannot Hold
    The Pillars of Britain, Foundations of the Reich, Cracks in the Pillars.

My books are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

Previously known as Wozza365
    Thanks
    • Wozza63's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX 8150 @4.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Intel 120GB SSD, 4TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX850
      • Case:
      • Akasa Venom Toxic
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XG270HU + Iiyama E2473HDS x2

Quote Originally Posted by edvinasm View Post
    Never look back at things like that. You get everything fresh and get all the benefits of new tech while others wait You know the drill, there are Innovators followed by Early Adopters followed by Majority and then Laggards. Btw Apple fans are somewhat new breed of Camping Innovators - kind of culture of theirs.
    I got a 500mb pair from aria for £35 and they're awesome, they had free delivery when i got them as well so it should be the same for you

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/...roductId=50976

even cheaper than when i got them a couple of days ago (but £35 is still a bargain

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecube View Post
    Why do none of these kits have pass through plugs anymore? That's a right pain for me.
    Likewise, I'm happy to pay a bit more for it. All mine so far have been from Solwise and I've been happy. The 4-port ones don't have pass through, but are ideal for behind the TV for all the consoles, STBs and ethernet-able equipment I've got back there. Sometimes they can be had a bit cheaper on Amazon, a firm on there called PixelHeaven sells then from time to time but when I checked last week it was cheaper going direct.

Registered+
    Thanks

I would like to see more comparisons with other powerline products, and maybe some dissemination of the chipset & technologies behind them, as that might lead to a fair assessment of how well they compare.

I personally use Solwise Homeplug AV passthrough adapters (including the 6-socket Piggy extension), and I can't see myself using anything without a passthrough as they don't seem to work well off a mains extension, and there's a limited number of mains sockets in the first place. They've served me well for the past few years, and it has been mostly solid, but my wireless connection is now effectively twice as fast, so I'm starting to look towards upgrades.

I noticed several Gigabit Powerline adapters being marketed, but these are clouded by the fact that a good number of powerline adapters use proprietary methods to increase the link speed, and these are usually tied to the chipset used (in the same way we can have wireless 'turbo' modes to double the official 802.11G or N bandwidths).

As I understand it, the first version (when there were two competiting standards back then!) was the Homeplug - and this achieved 14Mbit/s - and with the Turbo version, 85Mbit/s.

Next up was Homeplug AV - this allowed 200Mbit/s, but in practise here, I usually only achieve a quarter of the bandwidth. It is more stable than the wifi though. Further 'additions' to Homeplug AV allowed 500Mbit/s products to come out however these aren't part of the standard Homeplug spec.

The newest spec came out at the beginning of the year, Homeplug AV2. This potentially allows Gbit connectivity.

Note that there are many products marketed as 'gigabit powerline', but these are likely using either the Atheros (500) or the Gigle MediaXtream chip (1Gb), both of which extend upon Homeplug AV, and these won't be implementing the features which make the higher speeds more reliable. I'll interested in AV2's MIMO capability where it can transmit on any of the pair combinations of live, neutral or ground.

Thread Information