HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Everything Everywhere 4G pricing unveiled

Unlimited data? Don't make us laugh!
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Everything Everywhere 4G pricing unveiled

Two things...

1) Everything Everywhere is such a dumb name. I'm sure it's a calculated decision based on years of market blahsearch and stats and blah blah blah, but honestly... it's dumb.

2) How are these data charges not considered price fixing? The running costs for such bandwidth can't be anywhere near that.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Laughable really. Suppose thats what you get when you are the only player in the market though, i would have thought the sensible move would be to wait until the other networks have caught up.
    3G aint all that bad anyway really, most of the time im connected to wifi so it barely matters!

4. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (23-10-2012),JimmyBoy (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    • CK_1985's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H87N-WiFi mini-ITX
      • CPU:
      • i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce GTX660ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Strider 450W SFX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG-05
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Fibre

Wowzer, that's seriously expensive... No way I'm going to be early adopting 4G then!

On the plus side, the Lumia 920 is listed as being slightly cheaper than the Galaxy SIII - that's good news for me since I really want the 920 but was worried it was going to be insanely overpriced.
    "I want to be young and wild, then I want to be middle aged and rich, then I want to be old and annoy people by pretending that I'm deaf..."

my Hexus.Trust

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raz316 View Post

2) How are these data charges not considered price fixing? The running costs for such bandwidth can't be anywhere near that.
    Price fixing is nothing to do with the relationship between the cost of materials and the price charged to customers. It's about two or more players in a given market colluding to, in short, abuse market power.

In short, if several suppliers of a service, or buyers of a product (like supermarkets) privately agree on what they'll charge (or pay suppliers), it's price fixing, but if they independently decide to charge high prices for a premium product, it's not.

For instance, I invent the world's most desirable techno-widget, everyone wants one and to get one, they have to buy from me. And I charge £1000 for a device that costs me £10 to make. That might be excessive profit-making, but it isn't price fixing. Your choice, in short, is pay up or do without.

If, on the other hand, three of us are all capable of making and supplying, and we agree privately to charge £1000, that is price-fixing, because it's anti-competitive.

New stuff, be it services or products, or both, are nearly always expensive when they come out, because, first, there's a lack of competition, and secondly, because there's a cadre of early adopters that'll pay silly money, either because they gain more in value (like business opportunities, or because they've more money than common sense and want the pose value.

Anyone remember what the first generations of mobile phones cost when they came out? And what competition did to those prices?

I agree, those prices seem excessive, but some people will pay them, and others will wait. Price-fixing? Don't see it myself? Greedy exploitation of a brief-ish period of market power due to temporary monopoly? Probably.

7. Received thanks from:

JimmyBoy (23-10-2012)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    .... Suppose thats what you get when you are the only player in the market though, i would have thought the sensible move would be to wait until the other networks have caught up.
    Or .... milk it while you can, 'cos it won't last forever.

Very bad PR, though.

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

We should play the overly capped broadband game - how many seconds downloading at peak speed on a LTE phone would it take to eat all of your 500MB limit?

10. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (23-10-2012),JimmyBoy (23-10-2012)

Registered+
    Thanks

I need a £20-a-month plan...

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Laughable really. Suppose thats what you get when you are the only player in the market though, i would have thought the sensible move would be to wait until the other networks have caught up. 3G aint all that bad anyway really, most of the time im connected to wifi so it barely matters!
    That's pretty much my opinion - I'm not even considering a shift to 4G until Voda, O2 and especially Three have had their products in the market for a good few weeks.

I'd be interested to see what the relative uptake of each device would be after, for example, two months. From my experience the folks that are most gung-ho to go 4G also happen to be iPhone owners. And no, I'm not accusing iPhoners of "having more money than sense" or similar.

£36/month for a "mere" 500MB is far too rich for me, so I'll definitely be "slumming it" with mere 3G for the forseeable - especially if the availability of 4G forces the prices of 3G downwards.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

It's EE now, not Everything Everywhere.

Depending on what employee friends and family discounts are available I might switch but that's not been announced yet. As it stands I won't. I'm paying £36/month for unlimited data on T-Mobile and although I rarely use more than 500Mb I'd want a higher cap before switching and I don't need/want 4G bad enough to want to pay more each month.

Nabobalis

Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
    We should play the overly capped broadband game - how many seconds downloading at peak speed on a LTE phone would it take to eat all of your 500MB limit?
    About 2-3 minutes.

Big, Mean and Ugly! circuitmonkey's Avatar
    Thanks
    • circuitmonkey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8H61-M PRO
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i3 2100T
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 320GB WD Caviar Balck + 1TB Samsung EcoGreen F2 + 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CX430M
      • Case:
      • NZXT M59
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro (64bit), Vista business (64 bit), XP Pro (32bit), Ubuntu (64 bit)
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" FHD + 2X 19"1280 x 1024
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre broadband

This is all a moot point as I will not have access to 4G where I'm living at time of launch, so hopefully by then the prices will come down.

1) Personally I don't think these prices are THAT bad, have to remember that this is also for 'unlimited' calls and texts.

2) Shame they gave no indication of the Nokia 920 price, that's the phone that I'm really interested in.

3) I've yet to use more than my 500MB a month on my mobile contract (without tethering)

Thanks

Price fixing is nothing to do with the relationship between the cost of materials and the price charged to customers. It's about two or more players in a given market colluding to, in short, abuse market power.
    Yeah I understand that, but I figure the only way any company could possibly justify such prices is with the cost to them for providing the service. It's disgusting, but it's easy money for all companies if they all stick to it.

Thanks
    • CK_1985's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H87N-WiFi mini-ITX
      • CPU:
      • i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce GTX660ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Strider 450W SFX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG-05
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by circuitmonkey View Post
    2) Shame they gave no indication of the Nokia 920 price, that's the phone that I'm really interested in.
    On the EE website it says 'from £19.99'. Given that this is £10 less than the 'from' price for the SIII, you can pretty much work out what the 920 prices will be.
    "I want to be young and wild, then I want to be middle aged and rich, then I want to be old and annoy people by pretending that I'm deaf..."

my Hexus.Trust

18. Received thanks from:

circuitmonkey (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Glad to see pricing FINALLY released - and it's roughly what I expected. Expensive, but not unaffordable...

I'll be signing up to the 3GB plan as soon as I can, which will be on the 30th I guess. That is assuming that I can get the Lumia 920 of course - since there isn't really a viable alternative out there at the moment..but you know the most annoying thing? EE let orange customers upgrade without penalty if you are within the first 6 months of your contract. I am in my 13th month of a 24 month contract, so I won't qualify for this offer! Could make it more expensive than I would ideally like - but I need a new phone anyway since mine is on the way out and they won't fix it under warranty ;/

Kicker will be what is the price with the Lumia 920. What I am expecting is..£46/month for the contract, around £100 for the phone, and probably around £120 in disconnection fees after I barter with Phones4U. I am OK with that, as I saved up some money for the iPhone 5 and then decided against buying one..but if it's going to be much more than I will have to reconsider. Based on the "From £29.99" on the EE site though I might be in an even better position if I can negotiate that down to £FREE from P4U.

P4U may be an awful company to deal with but they do offer the best prices on the high street in my experience..hate to use them but even with their problems, they are easier to deal with than an online phone retailer if somethign does go wrong.

Still, looking forward to next week now

edit: price fixing? Not at all, but they will be higher than we'd all like (and certainly higher than 3G) until the market opens up - at the moment there is a first mover advantage, and the usual early adopter premium as with any new technology. You either pay a bit more up front and be a beta tester for the networks (but get it first), or wait 12 months and pay £5 a month less. They could easily have charged even more and started at £40/mo with 500mb and got away with it at this point!

Thanks

Isn't it cheaper to buy your iPhone 5 or Galaxy S3 LTE on Orange and then migrate to EE afterwards? Or have I missed something?

1 wheel > 2 wheels > 4 wheels | My Photos

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information