Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Apple may ditch Intel and x86 altogether in new MacBooks

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Apple may ditch Intel and x86 altogether in new MacBooks

Custom ARM IP integration is going ahead smoothly, A6X is a sign.
    Read more.

bored out of my tiny mind malfunction's Avatar
    Thanks
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper (with daft heatsinks and annoying Killer NIC)
      • CPU:
      • Xeon X5670 (6 core LGA 1366) @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 48GB DDR3 1600 (6 * 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 840 Evo + 1TB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Antec True Power New 750W
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

Re: News - Apple may ditch Intel and x86 altogether in new MacBooks

I think ARM has a long way to go before that happens and it will depend on what the rest of the market does first. The moves away from 68K and PPC were basically forced weren't they? 68K and PPC could no longer offer competitive performance / cost rather than Apple deciding to go with another architecture "because they could"?

(edit: for core 'PC' hardware anyway - from which the domestic market will probably move increasingly away from, towards tablets, etc which are much more open at the moment and will probably stay that way - though I have a feeling Intel will get their strategy right in that space in the next few years)
    Last edited by malfunction; 06-11-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Thanks

Nobody's going to argue that x86 isn't a bit long in the tooth and was probably due being thrown out at least a decade ago, but is ARM really there yet? On the one hand the move does sound crazy, but there's no doubt that people are moving towards tablets and other ARM devices instead of the humble PC/laptop so maybe it really isn't so crazy.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Given that most mac users just browse facebook before looking at their latest pictures from instagram, I think this will be great for them.

Small thinner lighter. Obviously the hundred odd pounds in CPU, Chipset, Battery, HSF cost saving will be past on to them right.... Right?

The other thing is when I first used a StrongARM RISC PC, it was demonstratably faster than the Intel PC I had at the time.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

5. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (06-11-2012),Terbinator (06-11-2012)

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

That would probably end gaming on Macs.

At least at the moment they have bootcamp, once they switch to ARM they will only have Modern-UI apps available via dualboot (if and when WinRT works on an ARM Mac)
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

I'd be surprised if they did move away from x86 until at least Windows is supported on ARM. I use a lot of Apple kit, but this would be a game changer for me. I need to be able to use some Windows apps for work for which there are no OSX compatibles (Visio etc), and I also like to be able to boot into Windows for a bit of gaming.

I like OSX, it gives me a lot of the functionality of Linux out of the box and a tightly integrated core set of apps on top too. Stability is pretty good, although so is Windows 7 now (I think I've only had one or two bluescreens in the 3 years I've been using it).

A move away from x86, however, would likely mean a wholesale move back to Windows for me. Despite the hyperbole I still don't like Linux on the desktop.

I now expect this thread to descend into all Mac users are 'tards etc as per usual.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Even the most badass ARM architectures are slow compared to the modern Intel CPUs in Macs. Judging by the Chromebook results an A15 looks to be around the same performance as a Pentium-M or something, i.e. faster per core/MHz than Atom but a long way off even the low power 17W Core chips and A15 is still 32bit (with some memory addressing enhancements).

Upscaling ARM architectures to Intel/AMD performance would require a lot more juice, they wouldn't be the low power chips we're familiar with anymore. Intel have shrunk Atom down to match ARM chips (see Motorola Razr i) but ARM licensees haven't shown much interest in making desktop chips to compete in the mid-high end, only in "basics" segment and some flirtation with low power or highly parallel servers. There must be a reason why it's not really being done on a large scale... and Haswell is probably going to make the job of competing with Intel in non-handheld markets a lot harder next year, nevermind 2017.

Apple could in theory use some superclocked A15 quad in the Air in next few years and just about get away with it, but for anything better they would need to do years of R&D, and it's not like Intel or AMD will be just sitting around twiddling their thumbs. I don't fancy their chances of upscaling an ARM design to match or better what Intel or even AMD are churning out by 2017.

This rumour is one of those bullsh&t ones made up by clueless analysts who caught some ARM buzz or read some frothy fanboy's rants on a forum.
    Last edited by kingpotnoodle; 06-11-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks

Would you not then have the issue that software is developed for either ARM or x86 so you would then have a software divergence?

Thanks

Apple would need to find someone other than samsung to make there soc's for this. Only global foundries (amd) might have the capacity and ability to do this.

Thanks

Personally I can see where this is going. In the news recently: ARM announce 64-bit chips; AMD announce ARM processors; Everyone is buying mobile devices (tablets up/desktops down); now Apple mull ARM desktop replacement. and iOS/Android is already on ARM. I call that a "trend".

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

So the Macbook becomes an iPad with an attached keyboard then?

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
    Nobody's going to argue that x86 isn't a bit long in the tooth and was probably due being thrown out at least a decade ago, but is ARM really there yet?
    They're not talking about doing it now but five (or more?) years hence - given the pace of change in mobile processors I wouldn't like to bet on x86->ARM being a dumb move.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Given that most mac users just browse facebook before looking at their latest pictures from instagram, I think this will be great for them.
    You'll get flamed for saying that!
    Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    That would probably end gaming on Macs.
    Why? Even with current technologies tablets - which is more or less an ARM-only deal - are making surprisingly good gaming platforms ... isn't that one of the reasons given why the DS etc are suffering in sales? Plus the article says that (a) it's multi-core; (b) we're talking five years hence, and (c) it's also laptops they're speaking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    I like OSX, it gives me a lot of the functionality of Linux out of the box and a tightly integrated core set of apps on top too. Despite the hyperbole I still don't like Linux on the desktop.
    OS X looks nice (but then again isn't that the "Apple Way" - bless their little cotton socks?!), but if you used real Linux you'd get ALL of the Linux functionality out of the box. Hmm, yes, I'll agree Linux on the Desktop is an acquired taste - but then again there's versions of it out there that are less objectionable (and easier to use!) than Windows 8. If you've not tried a good Linux distro recently then I'd earnestly suggest that you give one a spin (in an VM of course) ... you might be pleasantly surprised how usable they are. Although I quite like Unity in Ubuntu 12.04 so maybe my sanity is a bit suspect...
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    Even the most badass ARM architectures are slow compared to the modern Intel CPUs in Macs. Judging by the Chromebook results an A15 looks to be around the same performance as a Pentium-M or something, i.e. faster per core/MHz than Atom but a long way off even the low power 17W Core chips and A15 is still 32bit (with some memory addressing enhancements).
    A57 is touted as being proper 64bit (http://www.extremetech.com/computing...r-room-in-2014). And remember we're talking about laptops which, unless you're in the niche of the "barely luggable desktop replacement", are usually highly focussed on weight and power/performance - especially the latter. So I'm not so sure that we could chalk this up as an automatic fail for the ARM gear - who knows what we'll be up to with our portable kit in five years time?

As far as I see it, Apple's got three major advantages, one - they've done an architecture switch before, so presumably know some/most of the pitfalls; two - ARM architectures are a known tech for them - so not scary; three - they've got utter control on the environment, it's their OS on their hardware.

Of course with my cynical hat on, perhaps this is just a trial balloon to see if they could get away with ARM, or do MBP owners need/want that Intel poweeerrrrr (a la Jeremy Clarkson), or mayhaps this is just a focussed rumour to get some concessions from Intel in the next round of supplier negotiations?

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    The other thing is when I first used a StrongARM RISC PC, it was demonstratably faster than the Intel PC I had at the time.
    Even the pre-StrongARM cpus were faster than Intel PCs of the time, mainly due to a much lighter and faster OS.

Its one of programming choices, current main stream applications are generally huge and very bloaty, not helped by the excessive use of frameworks and several layers of API.

That said, for some tasks, there will always be the need for something vastly more powerful, its why companies still use super and large mainframeesque computers.

Most likely, should Apple go down the ARM route, all the home use machines would be ARM, whilst the high end/graphic design machines would be Intel CPUs still.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    A57 is touted as being proper 64bit (http://www.extremetech.com/computing...r-room-in-2014). And remember we're talking about laptops which, unless you're in the niche of the "barely luggable desktop replacement", are usually highly focussed on weight and power/performance - especially the latter. So I'm not so sure that we could chalk this up as an automatic fail for the ARM gear - who knows what we'll be up to with our portable kit in five years time?
    We'd also have to be talking about Mac-Mini, iMac, desktop-replacements laptops like the MacBook Pro and workstations like the Mac Pro, Apple don't seem like the kind of company to split their non-iOS gear into different architectures, they usually prefer uniformity not different versions of OS-X for different sized gear.

Cortex A57 is still only a 20% boost over A15, presumably at equal clocks/cores, it won't be displacing Intel's main range anytime soon but may find a niche in many core servers, but the UltraSPARC T2 indicates that approach is hardly mass market. Boston's Viridis range use Calxeda A9 based CPUs and have very good compute density with modest power requirements but the many wimpy cores model doesn't suit an awful lot of workloads and almost none that relate to desktop use.

Apple would have to be a lot more ambitious than ARM themselves are to be able to use ARM based chips in their Mac line-up inside 5 years. We'd have to know because the would be hoovering up chip design talent and their cash pile would be falling... surely?

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    T
    OS X looks nice (but then again isn't that the "Apple Way" - bless their little cotton socks?!), but if you used real Linux you'd get ALL of the Linux functionality out of the box. Hmm, yes, I'll agree Linux on the Desktop is an acquired taste - but then again there's versions of it out there that are less objectionable (and easier to use!) than Windows 8. If you've not tried a good Linux distro recently then I'd earnestly suggest that you give one a spin (in an VM of course) ... you might be pleasantly surprised how usable they are. Although I quite like Unity in Ubuntu 12.04 so maybe my sanity is a bit suspect...
    I've got a bunch of distros installed as VMs including Centos, Ubuntu and a bunch of other more exotic stuff (FreeBSD, Solaris etc). I'm quite aware of how usable they are, but I just prefer OSX on the desktop. It's a personal preference, Linux (usually) for the server if I'm paying, Windows for games, and OSX for day to day use. Of course if the customer wants something else it's their money which is why a few years ago I was virtualizing OS/2 (ugh!), and I'm now working on Solaris on Sparc and AIX on pSeries.

Thanks
    • zaph0d's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570-A Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 48GB - 2X 32GB and 2X 16GB at 3200
      • Storage:
      • 480GB NVME (OS) 2TB 8 Drive sas Raid0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 1070
      • PSU:
      • 1000W Coolermaster
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-343B (Original Model)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2X 55" Samsung 4k tv's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 500Mb

Then there's the fact that if they go ARM then there's less 3rd party upgrade options.
    If there's no option to chuck in a discrete gfx card or upgrade the memory via standard DDR3 (or 4 by then) Dimms then you're into the i(Device pick a number) no upgrade other then buy a new one system.
    "Look at the the iMac 3 it's got everything you loved about the iMac 2 but with the extra 4 Gig of ram and a 20% clockrate increase for only $1399.95" followed 12 months later by "Look at the the iMac 4 it's got everything you loved about the iMac 3 but with the extra 8 Gig of ram and a 10% clockrate increase for only $1429.99"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information