Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: News - Sony looks at disc-tag technology to block use of pre-owned games

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Sony looks at disc-tag technology to block use of pre-owned games

The system has been patented, could it be used on PS4 discs?
    Read more.

Technojunkie
    Thanks

Re: News - Sony looks at disc-tag technology to block use of pre-owned games

Meh discs, can't we just move to a downloadable steam-like model ?

Then just use the disk to one-time load onto the HDD.
    Chrome & Firefox addons for BBC News
    Follow me @twitter

Thanks
    • hb904460's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A88XM-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • AMD A6-5400K
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3 @ 1866mhz
      • Storage:
      • 240gb Crucial mx500 + 500gb WD Caviar Blue
      • PSU:
      • Antec NeoEco 620W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone PS07
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic VA2037m

Quote Originally Posted by mikerr View Post
    Not for people who live in areas with slow and unreliable internet access! Trying to download a game on my broadband would take a week!

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikerr View Post

Then just use the disk to one-time load onto the HDD.
    No.

I still have a slow connection, and just keeping Steam games updated requires leaving my machine on for several hours overnight.
    As much as possible I will still get the media version so I have less to download.

Thanks
    • simonpreston's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime X370 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3000mhz
      • Storage:
      • A lot.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Zalman MS1000
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 / Kubuntu 20.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 2412m
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

This won't (well, shouldn't) happen. Sony would be mad to even try to implement this. Everybody would call time on the Playstation line and buy an X Box instead.
    I have a a PS3 with a mix of new and 2nd hand games. If there weren't a second hand market then I doubt I'd have bought one at all.

6. Received thanks from:

Thanks

Go ahead Sony. In these times with good competition it really wouldn't bother me buying a Xbox. I'm not a fanboy and if another product has better value for money then I'm going with that in a heartbeat.

Sony screwed the pooch when ps2 games weren't compatible with ps3, but this aswell! Walking a seriously fine line Sony Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

8. Received thanks from:

Thanks

I would imagine that this would be commercial suicide, so expect to see it in the PS4!
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Pseudo-Mad Scientist Whiternoise's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Whiternoise's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI LANPARTY JR P45-T2RS
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 5.6TB Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4780
      • PSU:
      • 425W Modu82+ Enermax
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08b
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 23" IPS
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbps Fibre Line

Quote Originally Posted by HEXUS View Post
    Why do Crytek care? They have enough on their plate (so they claim) with people pirating their tech demos. I don't think they have a problem with people rampantly buying up Crysis preowned...

Thanks

Yeaaa... I definitely won't get a PS4 now...

Being forced to keep those games that turn out to be utter sh*t because I can't sell it in the used game market removes any chance of me risking my hard earned cash on titles for the platform.

The only alternative would be to rent games and buy the ones I really liked on sale later on... that is IF this stupid protection doesn't affect the rental market that is.

First they continue to charge full price, or above retail value on digital games despite there being 0 manufacturing and shipping costs and now they honestly believe they can force used game purchasers to pay full price when they fact that they are buying used means they cant afford it.

12. Received thanks from:

Registered+
    Thanks

How long is it going to take before such practices are banned by law???

If I buy a book and I've finished reading it I can sell it to someone else. If I buy a music CD and don't like I can sell it to someone else.
    If I buy a car, TV, pair of shoes, an apple, etc....you know, you can always sell it second hand.

If I buy a video game I...cannot. What the hell? Lost sales? That's a load of crap because car manufacturers or fruit sellers loose their sales too but don't whine about it and don't introduce any 'protection schemes'.

The thing that Sony is trying to do I call a scam. It should be made illegal.

14. Received thanks from:

Noxvayl (04-01-2013)

Drum & Bass Till I Die deejayburnout's Avatar
    Thanks
    • deejayburnout's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 2600 at stock speeds ( for now)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x Corsair 8GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Gigabyte 128GB M.2 PCIe x2 NVMe SSD, 120GB Kingston SV200, 2 x 1TB WD Drive, 2 x 2TB WD Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix RX 580 8G Gaming OC Edition
      • PSU:
      • OCZ 750 Watt
      • Case:
      • NZXT Noctis 450
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UM65-P Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 72mb Down 19mb up - Vodafone
    Yet another form of corporations trying to maximise profits.

Would be stupid to kill the pre-owned game buying as I bet at least 50% of games owned are used.

People would buy less games as they would save up for 1 title instead of 2 pre-owned ones as my wife does. She plays games 6months or so behind the initial release so she can trade in her old games for newer ones.

This keeps the staff in Game busy.

Any anyways, I will not be long before people crack the software and you can play on a PS4.

Will probably just delay the inevitable and fuel the pirated game movement.
    Better to Burn out than Fade Away
    Check out my Youtube channel - Crispy Crisperson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tenshin111 View Post
    How long is it going to take before such practices are banned by law???

If I buy a book and I've finished reading it I can sell it to someone else. If I buy a music CD and don't like I can sell it to someone else.
    If I buy a car, TV, pair of shoes, an apple, etc....you know, you can always sell it second hand.

If I buy a video game I...cannot. What the hell? Lost sales? That's a load of crap because car manufacturers or fruit sellers loose their sales too but don't whine about it and don't introduce any 'protection schemes'.

The thing that Sony is trying to do I call a scam. It should be made illegal.
    Doubt it will happen, as it is basically DRM but on physical a physical product. If you look closely on movies games and music you will see the 'not for resale' warning on it. It will raise a lot of questions about consumer rights when it comes to selling products you own though.

Thanks

Leave it to the individual game people, up to them if they want to allow you to transfer.
    E.g on PES 2013 I pretty much couldn't sell it because the online code is linked to my account. Though the rest of the game mostly work.

Game sales benefit from being able to sell them on, it's part of the reason why people will pay £50 for a console game and £30 for a PC game (which these days can rarely be resold). If cars weren't allowed to be resold people wouldn't pay anything like they do.

They could sell the digital distributions for cheaper but that will annoy the shops.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre
    Buy an Xbox instead? I fully expect both camps to be trying to kill second hand sales this time around
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

19. Received thanks from:

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    No.

I still have a slow connection, and just keeping Steam games updated requires leaving my machine on for several hours overnight.
    As much as possible I will still get the media version so I have less to download.
    Surely with some clever packaging a game could be 500mb initally with another 20g over time. You dont need it all at once.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Well, I don't have a Sony console, and until/unless this threat is removed by them, won't be buying one.

There are NO circumstances under which I'd buy a game with that restriction. I'd rather forego the game altogether. So unless the threat of this is irrevocably removed, I certainly won't buy into the platform .... and I had been contemplating it.

So for now at least, it's Xbox or nothing, and if MS were to go anywhere near this notion, it'd end up being nothing.

I would, and I mean this quite literally, give up computer gaming altogether before I'll put up with a company telling me I can't sell a game on if I want to, once I've done with it.

Just who the *bleeeeeep* do Sony think they are?

*bleep* you, Sony.

22. Received thanks from:

JimmyBoy (05-01-2013),Noxvayl (04-01-2013)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information