Thread: Memory Trouble

Thanks

Memory Trouble

You may or may not know/remember, but I've been having problems with my computer recently. A thread about this can be found here.

After doing everything I could think of to sort the problem out, I searched the web for an answer. If seems that a lot of people who have had the same problem as me have sorted it out by changing their memory. Links about this can be found here and here.

I have just run memtest86 on my system, and even though it's still going, it has currently found 15 errors . I now have two questions:

1. Does memtest86 fix these errors?
    2. If these errors aren't fixed by memtest86, then is there something that will fix them, or do I need more memory ?

Thanks
    memtest doesnt fix the errors, it just finds them.

Thanks
    As shogun said, it just finds them. No software can fix memory errors so usually it's the fun of RMA

Thanks
    So basically with my problem, I'll have to buy some more memory?

This time, I think I will get 1000 MB instead of 512 . Is that a good idea, or do you think it's too much?

Thanks
    1gb is becoming the norm now as new games such as doom3 and farcry use up even more ram. It would be a worthy investment for the future. If you are also upgrading in the future i would go for some faster speed ram so that it would be compatible. Also it would also help when/if you are overclocking. Try memtest and report back and what it says. Could not be the ram after all....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun
    1gb is becoming the norm now as new games such as doom3 and farcry use up even more ram. It would be a worthy investment for the future. If you are also upgrading in the future i would go for some faster speed ram so that it would be compatible. Also it would also help when/if you are overclocking. Try memtest and report back and what it says. Could not be the ram after all....
    I tried memtest, and left it overnight to run. It's on it's 3rd cycle now, so it's nearly finished for thhe 3rd time. I don't quite understand what it all means, but I'll try and give you what it says. It's had 17 errors most on test 8. I will give one typical example, because a lot of them are very similar:

Test_Pass__Failing Address_______Good____Bad_____Err-Bits____Count chan
    8____0____000a4dcf10 - 164.7MB_ffffffbf___7fffffbf__80000000__1

These are supposed to be columns - it's difficult to make it right. Hope you can understand .

Don't know if that makes sence. But reading the links I gave above, it seems a lot of othet people have had the same problem as me, and changing memory has helped. (please see my other thread for more detail on my problem )
    Last edited by ajbrun; 09-09-2004 at 02:29 PM.

Thanks
    If Memtest reports errors, then it normally means that the memory if faulty. Try putting different memory in, and run Memtest again. If Memtest comes up with no errors with the new memory, then there's something wrong with the old memory.
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_w
    If Memtest reports errors, then it normally means that the memory if faulty. Try putting different memory in, and run Memtest again. If Memtest comes up with no errors with the new memory, then there's something wrong with the old memory.
    That's just it though - I have no other memory to try. There's some in my parents PC, but they wouldn't let me use it because they'd think that whatever has happened to mine in my machine might happen to theirs!

Thanks
    Have you got more than one stick? If so, then just test them all one by one. It might be that just one stick isn't working properly, so this way you can work out which one is damaged (assuming that is the problem).
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_w
    Have you got more than one stick? If so, then just test them all one by one. It might be that just one stick isn't working properly, so this way you can work out which one is damaged (assuming that is the problem).
    Yeah - I already thought of that, and it has been suggested by someone else. But I only have one stick. I'm going to have to send it back to the shop, they'll get it tested and sent back to the manurfacturer, and I should get a new one (hopefully!). Only thing is I can't find my invoice - I'm having a big serach tomorrow, and the whole process could take up to 21 days !!!!!

Thread Information