Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - UK GameStick launch to be a GAME exclusive

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - UK GameStick launch to be a GAME exclusive

Super-portable Android console launch will be in June, alongside the rival OUYA console.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • MustardCutter's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • Samsung 30nm DDR3 @ 1866
      • Storage:
      • 64Gb + 256Gb Crucial M4 SSDs, 1.5Tb Seagate HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 560 Ti @ 915MHz, 4.4GHz RAM
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Gold 850AX
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-bit

Re: News - UK GameStick launch to be a GAME exclusive

I don't get these android so-called consoles, what's the point of playing phone games on your tv when you can just play it on your phone, why not use a proper console instead?

I wouldn't be pleased if my product was only available to buy at Game, a struggling over-priced high street chain...

Thanks

Better a bricks and mortar store than just a facelees website though eh?
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

if £80 gives you all you need then i suppose for that money, getting a media streamer that can also play games and do other stuff isn't a bad deal. if it runs the latest xbmc well then they may be onto a winner

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by MustardCutter View Post
    I don't get these android so-called consoles, what's the point of playing phone games on your tv when you can just play it on your phone, why not use a proper console instead?
    In that case you've completely missed the point. You've already paid for those games on your phone, so there's surely advantages in being able to play those self-same games without having to pay for them again in a console-type environment. (I'm assuming that there's a shared app store between phone and console - e.g. Google Play).

And in some cases - e.g. DeadTrigger and I'm sure that there'll be others - those games are approaching the levels seen in "proper" console games for gameplay, graphics, etc.

Plus, don't forget that this is really a US product, and from reports this kind of "big screen gaming" is all the rage. Don't forget the level of interest in the Ouya.
    I wouldn't be pleased if my product was only available to buy at Game, a struggling over-priced high street chain...
    Last time I looked they seemed to be doing okay - especially now that the current management FINALLY got around to the idea that they'd got too many stores (and probably still have - although to a lesser extent). If you're not selling @Game, then where - Asda/Tesco/Sainsbury's (piled up with all the clothes, groceries, etc) or wholly online? The latter being a mistake of almost biblical proportions when you're talking about something that probably needs to be seen.

And based on what I've seen with the DS/DSi/DSi XL/3DS/etc they're probably right to launch in Game - that way the "great unwashed masses" get a chance for a hands on, plus (assuming the price is low enough) perhaps even the odd impulse buy or two. Heck, if a Nexus 7 at ~£160 is a valid "impulse buy" then surely a console at half that price is a definite?

Oh, and I have NO intention of either buying this or an Ouya - preferring to play Android games on the phone/tablets I already have. Then again, I don't feel the need to play tablet games on a large screen at the moment.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Also, if they were priced slightly cheaper I could imagine these selling well, if the games are of a good enough quality. Take a look at the website, just plug the console part into the TV USB port, and they are saying that later this year you'll be able to run XMBC and other stuff. Now that would be excellent with a dual-core ARM and 1gb ram, with 8gb flash and micro-sd card capability
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    In that case you've completely missed the point. You've already paid for those games on your phone, so there's surely advantages in being able to play those self-same games without having to pay for them again in a console-type environment. (I'm assuming that there's a shared app store between phone and console - e.g. Google Play).
    Definitely not the case with the OUYA, they have their own "walled garden" app store, with each app being sanctioned before inclusion. More like the Apple approach than the Google one. In theory this means a higher quality market place because of the tighter controls, but because it's still Android (with a heavily customised UI) getting apps/games will be easy.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    Definitely not the case with the OUYA, they have their own "walled garden" app store, with each app being sanctioned before inclusion. More like the Apple approach than the Google one. In theory this means a higher quality market place because of the tighter controls, but because it's still Android (with a heavily customised UI) getting apps/games will be easy.
    Quite true - although I've seen discussion that the Ouya app store may be made available on "normal" phones and tablets - I guess in the same way that my phone/tablet have both Play and Amazon app stores available. Although I don't quite see how putting the OAS on a non-Ouya box would work without Ouya's UI - unless it's a "port" along the lines of those apps which are designed for tablets but have a (screen-restricted) "phone" equivalent. I can certainly see some folks being attracted by the idea of a games-only (or games-mainly to be accurate) store that's curated a bit better than the Play store is at the moment.

There's also some evil folks on xda who have been speaking of rooting and slapping the Play store on their Ouya's. Although again the issue of the UI incompatibility rears it's ugly head.

Does GameStick use a custom UI too - or is it plain Android? Unfortunately it's not a product that interests me much, so I've not paid it a lot of attention.
    Last edited by crossy; 02-04-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • MustardCutter's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • Samsung 30nm DDR3 @ 1866
      • Storage:
      • 64Gb + 256Gb Crucial M4 SSDs, 1.5Tb Seagate HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 560 Ti @ 915MHz, 4.4GHz RAM
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Gold 850AX
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-bit

That's a big assumption to make. And a game that's designed to be played on a phone being played on a console is handicapped by the phone based design compared with a console game being played on a console.

And in some cases - e.g. DeadTrigger and I'm sure that there'll be others - those games are approaching the levels seen in "proper" console games for gameplay, graphics, etc.
    But the proper consoles will be replaced in the not too distant future, what it means to be a proper console game is gonna change.

If you're not selling @Game, then where - Asda/Tesco/Sainsbury's (piled up with all the clothes, groceries, etc) or wholly online? The latter being a mistake of almost biblical proportions when you're talking about something that probably needs to be seen.
    Amazon, perhaps? They could also display them next to the demo tablets in my local sainsburys for example. Game has a reputation for being overpriced, some people won't even bother looking in there for games / consoles cause they can save by picking them up during thier weekly shop at Asda etc.

Oh, and I have NO intention of either buying this or an Ouya - preferring to play Android games on the phone/tablets I already have. Then again, I don't feel the need to play tablet games on a large screen at the moment.
    My sentiments exactly

Thanks

I think for those with old non smart tv's something like these are pretty useful.

In my opinion though there should be a version which has a decent hd webcam, Logitech c920 level, built in and the whole thing hangs off the back of the tv or at least work with the c920.

Hopefully someone will hack the Wii mote and kinect to work with these things.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

That's a big assumption to make. And a game that's designed to be played on a phone being played on a console is handicapped by the phone based design compared with a console game being played on a console.
    And you're following my assumption with a big one of your own - you're assuming that because an app was designed for a phone then it'll be unusable on anything else. The numbers of folks buying that six axis controller software (between 100k-500k at last look) kind of show that up. And then there's the gamepad mapping software, etc. If they're following the Ouya trail then I guess the GS App Store will make 100% that everything in there works with their controllers - since, it'd be a bit daft if they didn't!
    edit: I forgot to mention - Asus managed to patch their version of Android to work just find with the touch pad on the Transformer, and heck it even works fine with a plugged in USB mouse. So I'm guessing there's somewhere in the Android libraries that just need a device driver for the stick to map to selection, move etc.
    But the proper consoles will be replaced in the not too distant future, what it means to be a proper console game is gonna change.
    Possibly. But what I'll argue is that systems such as Ouya, and to a lesser extent GameStick, will SERIOUSLY eat into the market share of low-end stuff like WiiU. On the other hand PS4/XBox720 are probably pretty safe.
    Amazon, perhaps? They could also display them next to the demo tablets in my local sainsburys for example. Game has a reputation for being overpriced, some people won't even bother looking in there for games / consoles cause they can save by picking them up during thier weekly shop at Asda etc.
    Eventually these will end up in Sainz/Tesco/Asda - no argument. But I'll argue strongly that this kind of new(ish) idea is best done in proper shops ... at least initially. HMV would also be suitable. Amazon on the other hand would be a dumb place to start with these - it's not an Amazon product, so they'll never give it the prominence that something like Kindle Fire would get. I'm also very, very wary about giving Amazon too much business - even though I'm a very happy Prime member, I'll still buy games from Game(station), music from HMV (up until they closed my local one), and books from WH Smith and Waterstones. There's also the small matter of Amazon's tax ... "handling".
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumagoro View Post
    I think for those with old non smart tv's something like these are pretty useful. In my opinion though there should be a version which has a decent hd webcam, Logitech c920 level, built in and the whole thing hangs off the back of the tv or at least work with the c920.
    Not this thing - too limited. Ouya on the other hand, has got to be a possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumagoro View Post
    Hopefully someone will hack the Wii mote and kinect to work with these things.
    There's already Android "support" for the Wiimote, and I guess Kinect has got to be theoretically possible since it works with Linux. So probably doable, if someone can be bothered. LOL

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    You just killed any chance of me buying an Ouya. Unless I can play same game on the move and at home then these low end consoles are just pointless tat with a long term market limited to "not a smartphone owner, not rich enough for a proper console or handheld but actually interested in games" which is probably a market of nobody.

Here's my idea:

My Nexus4 (or other Android phone) is placed on a "G-Pad" which is connected to my TV via wired HDMI (or something) and is a wireless HDMI and/or Miracast receiver and also a wireless charger, provides additional cooling (it's made of a mesh grille with a silent fan under) and is NFC enabled. NFC triggers the "G-Hub" app (a big screen mode console app) turns on Bluetooth and automatically pairs with all nearby "G-Controllers" each of which is personalised with the gamer's name and carries their profile for social gaming on other people's G-Pad, you take the controller to a mate's place and it nicely fills in your details in games and contributes to your global game stats, any multi-player game bought by an owner of any currently paired controller can be launched if content has been downloaded. If you pick up the phone and lose NFC it pauses the game (put it back to resume) and locks the screen, if you exit G-Hub without picking up phone it locks the screen (for security to stop your mates looking at you texts etc while you have a pee).

On the move the G-Controller has a flip out clip to hold your phone which is also NFC enabled (but subtly different actions) to trigger the G-Hub app but only pairs with the controller that activated it and in small-screen mode (so no accidental train game party).

Buy it as a set (G-Pad + G-Controller), sold just above cost as revenue comes from a cut of the game revenue split with developers in the G-Store. Guest controllers are cheaper accessories but don't carry any information. The app and game content is a free download as its just the interface. To combat piracy each controller has a unique hardware embedded UID which is associated with your account and does a DRM check-in at launch of a game - if your controller is present the game launches. Single player games only work using the buyer's controller, multi-player games work with up to 4 controllers in split screen mode so long as buyer's controller is one of the 4. Since this is all on 3G enabled devices a simple encrypted DRM ping-pong check on launch is not a huge burden and won't use much data. Authentication is biometric, thumbprint on the G-Controller maybe.

Boosh. Console gaming sorted.
    Last edited by kingpotnoodle; 02-04-2013 at 05:18 PM.

Dark side super agent
    Thanks

I think the point of the Ouya is being missed here. It's a console for playing relatively simple games such as platformers, shmups, etc. I've always thought of Ouya games hearkening back to the 2D era with HD graphics. I've never thought of the Ouya as being a competitor to the XBox, PS or even the Wii. If it is positioning itself as a competitor to the big boys then it'll tank...
    An Atlantean Triumvirate, Ghosts of the Past, The Centre Cannot Hold
    The Pillars of Britain, Foundations of the Reich, Cracks in the Pillars.

My books are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecube View Post
    I think the point of the Ouya is being missed here. It's a console for playing relatively simple games such as platformers, shmups, etc. I've always thought of Ouya games hearkening back to the 2D era with HD graphics. I've never thought of the Ouya as being a competitor to the XBox, PS or even the Wii. If it is positioning itself as a competitor to the big boys then it'll tank...
    But in a world of more complex and involving games on XBox360+, PS3+ are games like that really interesting to anyone for more than 5 mins? Are we really going to choose to play them at home (on our massive TVs where basic graphics will show far more) in huge numbers when the rest of our more powerful digital empire is there waiting to be used? Our "big" consoles can stoop to those type of cheap downloadable games as well if you only want a quick fiddle and they probably do it with better graphics (certainly PS4 or 720 can).

Or do we only play the the simple games you refer to on our phones on the train because it distracts us from commute tedium and our smelly fellow commuters? Perhaps phone games are only played in the living room when the other half wants to watch some crap on the box and we can't get the remote out of their iron grip.

I think the world has moved on, people want more sophistication that just "left/right/fire" these days.

Thanks
    • blokeinkent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700KF s1151 3.6/4.9GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB PRO SL PC4-25600 (3200)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 2TB 970 Evo Plus NVME + 860 Evo + 250GB 750 Evo SSD + 4x WD 6TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 1070 FTW Gaming ACX 3.0
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX 760
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S2 (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB281HK 4K
      • Internet:
      • Virmin M50 Fibre

Maybe not this incarnation but I'd rather give a cheap Android platform to the kids to play with on mass than hand over a £500 phone for them to have a go.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    You just killed any chance of me buying an Ouya. Unless I can play same game on the move and at home then these low end consoles are just pointless tat with a long term market limited to "not a smartphone owner, not rich enough for a proper console or handheld but actually interested in games" which is probably a market of nobody.
    XDA lurkers are ALREADY discussing how they're going to get Play store on the Ouya. Like you, if they can do that then an Ouya becomes a LOT more useful than the expensive curiosity it is at the moment. Ouya forum folks are also talking about Wiimote style controllers, so it's kind of obvious that they're going to try and do a Wii type setup but cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    But in a world of more complex and involving games on XBox360+, PS3+ are games like that really interesting to anyone for more than 5 mins? Are we really going to choose to play them at home (on our massive TVs where basic graphics will show far more) in huge numbers when the rest of our more powerful digital empire is there waiting to be used? Our "big" consoles can stoop to those type of cheap downloadable games as well if you only want a quick fiddle and they probably do it with better graphics (certainly PS4 or 720 can).
    You'd be surprised the number of folks who'd quite happily while away an hour playing Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, etc (I'm not one of them). Not sure about GameStick, but Ouya is also definitely going for the "media centre" market too. Heck, I've also seen some comment that it could also be thought of as "Google TV Lite" in some respects. Not sure how true that is, having never seen gTV or Ouya.
    Quote Originally Posted by blokeinkent View Post
    Maybe not this incarnation but I'd rather give a cheap Android platform to the kids to play with on mass than hand over a £500 phone for them to have a go.
    My thoughts exactly - although I'm shocked by how many kids have second- or at least third-string 'droid phones. Galaxy W/Y/Ace 2/Mini 2 etc. And when you're talking about the high schoolers then it's HTC One S's, Sony Xperia's, and even some Galaxy SII's.

On the other hand, this GameStick thing might be just the job for the kids who are just getting into video games - the ones that things like the LeapPad are targetted at.

Disclaimer: no real interest in either GameStick or Ouya, since I'm saving up for the XBox720...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information