Thread: News - Next gen Xbox reveal expected 21st May, launches in November

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Next gen Xbox reveal expected 21st May, launches in November

A new $99 version of the Xbox 360, codenamed Stingray, will also be launched.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Next gen Xbox reveal expected 21st May, launches in November

"Must be internet connected" + "$300 with some kind of contractual subscription agreement" => "Cheap XBox Next with two years broadband internet", aka the same sales model as mobile phones.

And we all *love* mobile phone contracts. But at least a mobile phone needs the mobile connection to work for its primary reason for existing. We all know that a computer can play games without an internet connection, and that any such restriction is aimed at controlling and restricting us. Heaven forbid my internet provider mess up (it's Virgin Media, so it will) and I can't even play a game in single-player mode.

Thanks
    • Devastater6194's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • Kingston HyperX Genesis 16Gb 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Gtx 680 Lightning SLI
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q & Dell U2515H
      • Internet:
      • 40Mbps Fibre

It's looking less and less likely that ill be getting a new console. Not really interested in the PS4 and I don't like being forced to be online which I think is most people's problem as well. Pretty much everyone is online all the time anyway it just people don't like being told that they have to do something. To be honest Forza is about the only Xbox game I'm interested that I can't already get on PC. But at the end off the day, a new console means games can finally push ahead with new technologies etc so can't complain too much.

Registered+
    Thanks

I have never really been a XBOX fan in the first place and i still don't see myself getting the new XBOX even now

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Devastater6194 View Post
    Pretty much everyone is online all the time anyway it just people don't like being told that they have to do something.
    From speaking to friends, it seems more like people realising that their internet connections are not guaranteed to be up/working.....and as you say, it's obviously not required to make a single-player game function.

If it was done like steam/origin and allowed the key to be locked to the device and then used offline, I would think less people would have an issue.....and maybe it will, I guess we don't know yet.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Registered+
    Thanks

So the new xbox is called "xbox" Their console naming structure is a little wierd...
    Xbox > Xbox 360 > Xbox? Is it safe for me to assume the console after this will be another Xbox 360?
    They can blow the new console out their ass if you have to have to be online to play a game.

7. Received thanks from:

McEwin (09-04-2013)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Meowdance's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.8Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 250GB SSD / 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX670 PE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair GS800
      • Case:
      • NZXT Hades
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2411T

I've had consoles since I was very little and recently made the transition to PC. I definitely still thought when I finished my PC that I'd keep on buying consoles too, that is no longer the case. Neither this Xbox or PS4 appeal enough to gain my moneys.

Interesting to see the 360 coming to that pricepoint though. I assume it's to completely ruin any chance of these android consoles taking off.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by addz17 View Post
    So the new xbox is called "xbox" Their console naming structure is a little wierd...
    Xbox > Xbox 360 > Xbox? Is it safe for me to assume the console after this will be another Xbox 360?
    Same thing Apple did with iPad> iPad2> iPad. They're just following the trend.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • whitetop's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI-Z77G43
      • CPU:
      • intel i5 2500
      • Memory:
      • XMS3 ? 8GB DUAL CHANNEL DDR3
      • Storage:
      • oc 256gb ssd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 670 2gb oc
      • PSU:
      • NOVATECH POWERSTATION 600W
      • Case:
      • antec solo ii
      • Operating System:
      • windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" asus vw192s
      • Internet:
      • vm

out november so its a rush job thx glad im not getting a brick

Thanks
    • Marc_92's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1 Guerilla
      • CPU:
      • i7 950
      • Memory:
      • Corsair XMS3 6gb
      • Storage:
      • 128 gb Cricual m4
      • Graphics card(s):
      • KFA2 GTX 570
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650w 80+ Bronze
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 60bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer S240HLbid 24''

Alot of the ps4 games have pre order prices of £70+, I suspect the new xbox will have the same price structure. Ill probably wait a year to see if they iron out bugs etc but the ps4 looks more likely at this point. Seeing alot of the playstation plus seems much like a much better deal than a years sub of xbox live. Still we will know more soon I guess but it isnt looking so good for me right now. I'd much rather have like a steam approach onto the new consoles but I cant see that happening at all

Registered+
    Thanks

The wii U doesn't look so bad now eh lol

Thanks

I am still playing catch up on lots of Xbox 360 games and once I have done that I plan to get a cheap PS3 and play all the exclusives that I have missed - so probably be a year after launch before I will be looking at next gen anything ...

Thanks

Having recently upgraded my hdtv from 720p to a 3d 1080p screen I can say that the current crop of consoles that were once ahead of there time are now left feeling dated. Neither the ps3 or x360 can push out pixels fast enough to keep up with 1080p all of the time, both suffer from low frame rates at times.

Microsoft should be commended over the evolution of the 360 though, the current interface is worlds apart from the original release.

I do wish more games were 3d enabled, gt5 looks amazing in 3d, and since the games are natively rendered in 3d with a lot more gpu grunt there is no reason why 3d cant become the norm for new games.

Super Nerd
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    If it was done like steam/origin and allowed the key to be locked to the device and then used offline, I would think less people would have an issue.....and maybe it will, I guess we don't know yet.
    If it is not similar to this I will eat my hat, a quick check-in to validate license and prevent piracy at first game launch, once a week or even every game launch etc is hardly arduous and hasn't stopped Steam from being popular. Steam is even at a disadvantage as it may be on laptops or disconnected systems, how often do you take an XBox on the train?! XBox will require internet to activate things, to get DLC, to do anything social - I really don't think it will bar you playing a single player game (already activated) when your broadband is down.

Like you say people just get all up in arms because they don't like to be told what to do...

I suspect the "$300 with contract" is for XBox Live services...

Quote Originally Posted by keithwalton View Post
    I do wish more games were 3d enabled, gt5 looks amazing in 3d, and since the games are natively rendered in 3d with a lot more gpu grunt there is no reason why 3d cant become the norm for new games.
    Still really only a small % of the market that have a 3D capable living room though, but if anything could benefit from the gimmick it's games. I like what my LG TV does, uses alternate frames with the polarising glasses to enable multiplayer split screen but with each player able to view the whole screen and nobody elses.

Quote Originally Posted by whitetop View Post
    out november so its a rush job thx glad im not getting a brick
    A rush job? They've only had... what 5 or more years to cook this up since the 360 steadied out.

Mod Edit: Triple post merged
    Last edited by jim; 09-04-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • stanonwheels's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Sabertooth Z87
      • CPU:
      • i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 2TB + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 660Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1920x1080 Benq + old 1440x900 cheapo HP panel
      • Internet:
      • Usually 10mbps, depends on weather.

Xbox is always online, PS4's boring but fast, WiiU look like it'll be a failure and every new processor ships with ever more capable on-board graphics. Really interested to see how this new generation pans out.

Thread Information