Thread: News - World's fastest micro-SDXC card launched by SanDisk

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - World's fastest micro-SDXC card launched by SanDisk

Tiny new memory cards offer up to 64GB of storage and transfer rates up to 80MB/s.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - World's fastest micro-SDXC card launched by SanDisk

Great, I'm glad that when I die of thirst, I can record my final messages to my loved ones safe in the knowledge that the memory card will survive, and when my dessicated corpse is found thirty years down the line, my messages will be played back to my descendants. Except they won't have any devices capable of reading a micro-SD card.

Unless they literally mean "lifetime limited warranty"...

Thanks

An important thing to note, after a bit of research I found the class ratings only really apply to sequential access, which is generally appropriate for camera use, but a lot of the 'high speed' cards seem to have abysmal random performance which is often important for things like app performance on phones. I think Sandisk generally do quite well here, but it's something to bear in mind.

http://www.tested.com/tech/454029-be...sandisk-ultra/
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...e,3011-12.html
    http://static.usenix.org/events/fast...papers/Kim.pdf

4. Received thanks from:

crossy (10-07-2013)

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

My - slightly cynical - question is this ... will any of today's smartphones be able to make use of this higher speed card? Last time I looked there were a few articles saying that the likes of the S3 weren't exactly pushing the limits of UHS-1. Also good timing to launch when a lot of manufacturers seem to be phasing out removable memory in favour of iPhone-style fixed allocation (which I really don't like).
    "even if your device doesn't survive, your SanDisk memory card will."
    No one mention the issue Sandisk had the end of last year with batches of UHS-1 cards going flaky with no warning and then failing completely. I got bit by that myself (32GB in my Note 10.1) and the only redeeming feature of it was that at least Sandisk were kind enough to replace the failed card with no real hassle. The lack of hassle being the main reason why I bought another one of those cards this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    An important thing to note, after a bit of research I found the class ratings only really apply to sequential access, which is generally appropriate for camera use, but a lot of the 'high speed' cards seem to have abysmal random performance which is often important for things like app performance on phones.
    When you say "abysmal performance" I take it that you're speaking in relative terms? Then again, photo storage seems like a good use for these cards, plus music (which I'm guessing would also benefit from the high sequential access you mention?). In the meantime I'll take a couple of minutes to peruse those links you kindly provided.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Super Nerd
    Thanks

An important thing to note, after a bit of research I found the class ratings only really apply to sequential access, which is generally appropriate for camera use, but a lot of the 'high speed' cards seem to have abysmal random performance which is often important for things like app performance on phones. I think Sandisk generally do quite well here, but it's something to bear in mind.
    I always kept my apps on the phone built in memory even when I had an SD card in, made it less annoying to swap cards... not an issue with my Nexus 4 now of course, TBH I kind of prefer the built in memory and would like to see high end phones readily available in multiple sizes (like iPhone) and focussing more on using faster solutions. It seems the speed of the memory is often neglected against CPU/RAM/screen and someone could turn it into a marketing differentiator...

Thanks

For the most part, it used the be the case that as sequencial speed went up, the random access speed got worse. There was a direct correlation between the two for most cards. People were not crazy when they used class 2 and 4 cards in their Android phones with A2SD - they were just faster in the area needed for that application.

I think things are getting better now as the technology improves even more, but it's something to be aware of.
    Last edited by Agent; 10-07-2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: typos
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    When you say "abysmal performance" I take it that you're speaking in relative terms? Then again, photo storage seems like a good use for these cards, plus music (which I'm guessing would also benefit from the high sequential access you mention?). In the meantime I'll take a couple of minutes to peruse those links you kindly provided.
    I mean, instead of the several dozen MB/s sequential speed, some cards drop down to literally dial-up speeds when it comes to random write speed. Random read, which is arguably more important, doesn't tend to be that bad, but it's still often surprisingly low vs sequential speed.

Thanks

Some sandisk cards have pretty good random 4k write (around 1MB/s). Another thing to look out for is that performance drops with use. Again, sandisk seem to be better than other makers in that regard.

Look for the android packaging when shopping for sandisk microSD cards (the model name should end with "A")

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sykobee View Post
    Great, I'm glad that when I die of thirst, I can record my final messages to my loved ones safe in the knowledge that the memory card will survive, and when my dessicated corpse is found thirty years down the line, my messages will be played back to my descendants. Except they won't have any devices capable of reading a micro-SD card.

Unless they literally mean "lifetime limited warranty"...
    So your argument is that it's too durable..?

Thread Information