Thread: News - Amazon Kindle Matchbook offers to bundle print and eBooks

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Amazon Kindle Matchbook offers to bundle print and eBooks

Also a new improved Kindle Paperwhite device is announced.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Amazon Kindle Matchbook offers to bundle print and eBooks

You can run up a far old bit of expenditure if you start adding all the accessories as well.
    No card slot of any description? Not everyone is sold on the cloud.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Myss_tree View Post
    You can run up a far old bit of expenditure if you start adding all the accessories as well.
    Don't buy the official accessories then - 3rd party ones are invariably cheaper or more full featured. Plus, apart from a light and a case, what other accessories are needed?
    Card slot would be a useful idea IF you're one of those folks who buys hundreds of thousands of books. The original sales point of the Kindle was that you could store "thousands" of books on it. Now I just checked my one and I figure that my 139 books take up around 100MB of space, so just under 1M/book (very rough and ready figure). In which case I should be able to stick just over 1350 novels of the current size on my old gen 4 model. And even at Amazon's discount pricing that's a very sizeable chunk of money!

Also, the majority of the books on my Kindle were never anywhere near Amazons Kindle cloud. Baen and other eBook shops sell titles - many of them DRM-free - at reasonable rates. Buy one of those and in some cases it's even in Kindle file format, if not then Calibre (free!) will happily convert them for you - assuming that your ebookshop won't let you have it in some Kindle-friendly format like .mobi. Once you've got your files, it's a matter of seconds to hook the Kindle up to a PC (Windows or Linux) and upload/download as desired.

In which case, unless you're talking either about the "Fire" model Kindles, or the older ones that could play MP3's, I fail to see the utility of a card slot. Adding one just makes the device more expensive and the majority of folks won't use it anyway.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Well, interesting. When (and if) it launches in the UK, I'll take a hard look at this. It just might convince me to start buying my books from Amazon. Maybe.

But only if, first, the range of books is good enough, AND free. I am not, on principle, paying to buy a book and then paying for a Kindle version of it. Paying for a DRM-locked Kindle-only version? So if I switch from Kindle to, well whatever, I can't use it? Nuts to that.

I buy a lot of books. My "library" currently consists of several thousand titles, and I've added two hardbacks and five paperbacks in the last week or ten days. But so far, none of my books have been bought from Amazon, and neither of my Kindles have Amazon licenced (and locked) content on them. I like the Kindle a lot, but if it was a choice between paying for ther locked content or giving up the Kindle, it's bye-bye Kindle. Fortunately, it isn't.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

I've been waiting for this since e-books were announced from Amazon, and have not considered an e-book reader until this was the case.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

As crossy said, what accessories?

I added a case for each of mine, at about £8 each. I don't need a light, but I gusss that could add a couple of quid .... like the one the wife bought me.

As for expansion cards, I have a vast amount of material on mine, including some very large PDF's, and am nowhere near capacity. I'm not even near half of it. Each Kindle takes about 4000 books (in my versions). And I have NOTHING stored on any could service, Amazon or otherwise, and no plans to change that. Never needed expansion cards, either. For a tablet, yes. Kindle, no.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    As crossy said, what accessories?

As for expansion cards,...
    According to the accessories list you would spend an extra £106.95 if you bought the five items. Yes you can get all the accessories as non branded cheaper alternatives and there is no need for the warranty but there are a lot of folk who will see them all and buy.
    There appears to be a trend now away from supplying external ports on mobile devices with i think the intention of eventually charging folk for cloud storage. That may be a few years away but it will happen.

Thanks

I take it they mean only if you buy the book *new* from amazon (so second hand or new from Amazon marketplace would not count?)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

According to the accessories list you would spend an extra £106.95 if you bought the five items. Yes you can get all the accessories as non branded cheaper alternatives and there is no need for the warranty but there are a lot of folk who will see them all and buy.
    There appears to be a trend now away from supplying external ports on mobile devices with i think the intention of eventually charging folk for cloud storage. That may be a few years away but it will happen.
    You could be right about the drive towards cloud.

It wouldn't surprise me. There's a general trend emerging towards getting us all to stump up subscription fees, be it Office 365, Adobe Cloud or getting us onto 'free" cloud services, so as to get us onto paid premium versions.

Which is why, for a tablet, I bought a Samsung and immediately stuck a 32GB card in it.

But personally, I have zero intention of putting anything in the cloud, now or ever, free or not. If I can't do it locally, and control it myself, I won't do it.

But, for Kindle, and especially for those with larger (4GB) storage, I can't see me ever needing more than that. After all, e-book files are typically very small, and a Kindle is a quite tightly focussed device, unlike tablets, smart-phones, etc.

Thanks
    • g8ina's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z75 Pro3
      • CPU:
      • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3.
      • Storage:
      • 250GB SSD system, 250GB SSD Data + 2TB data, + 8TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD 6870
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 22"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB unlimited

I found that if I stacked my original Kindle with near limit of books, then page turning became painfully slow, so now I just have the set Im reading. Usually no more than 25 books at a time. Speed readers will appreciate what I mean about page speed
    Cheers, David

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by g8ina View Post
    I found that if I stacked my original Kindle with near limit of books, then page turning became painfully slow, so now I just have the set Im reading. Usually no more than 25 books at a time. Speed readers will appreciate what I mean about page speed
    Was that one of the smaller or larger memory versions, and an earlier or later model?

I've got one of the last keyboard ones (4GB and, IIRC, Kindle 3) and a Kindle Touch (4GB again) and I've not noticed any slowdown. Then again, I've not got antwhere near the claimed 4000-4500 book limit. Or rather, not loaded on it at any one time.

I do like to keep a broad spread of choice on it, so there will be everything from current releases to free classics, and a variety of genres and authors, so when I'm away, I can pick according to my mood and inclination. It might be Dickens or Terry Pratchet, and it might be scifi/fantasy or Virgil or James Joyce. Or whatever.

But I've always found even a couple of hundred books is plenty, and Calibre lets me load and unload very easily.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

The kindle isn't a tablet, you don't need a lot of storage. Any any mension of "cloud" storage is simple marketing. You can remove books from your device and then add them later from the ones you have previously bought that are still in your account online. It isn't seamless cloud storage, it's just a record of your purchases that you can re-send to your device when you want them.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

As for Matchbook, I really hope it comes to the UK (I think it should, the CD/MP3 version of this did), it's something I've thought should be possible from the start of ebooks.

I can see me using this service a lot if it in launched here. I still buy the paperbacks of the books I read on my kindle, because I like to have them on shelves in my living room.

Thanks
    • hatsumi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Auros
      • CPU:
      • 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 24Gb DD3 Corsair Dominator 1600
      • Storage:
      • SSD and HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850W Gold
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF932 Adv
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Ilyama 27" 1440p Freesync
      • Internet:
      • VM 500MB

I really hope this comes off. I've hundreds of books bought from amazon! would be nice to get a cheaper kindle digitalcopy along with the hardcopy book. I've had to limit the hard copy books lately to a few authors due to lack of space.

Thread Information