Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Windows 8.1 pricing and packaging revealed

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Windows 8.1 pricing and packaging revealed

Microsoft also says you will be able to install Windows 8.1 from scratch.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: News - Windows 8.1 pricing and packaging revealed

Nope!still sticking with Win7.

3. Received thanks from:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daletur328 View Post
    Nope!still sticking with Win7.
    Up! I have to use win 8 in work... Nightmare.

Registered+
    Thanks

Difference between pro and standard versions (in terms of feature set)is?

They should of maintained the launch pricing to assist with upgraders.

ZaO

What, you could only get Windows 8 via upgrade before? There was never an option to do a clean install without need of a previous ms os installed? This far down the line and Miicrosoft have only just figured out that people actually need that option?

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

No you could always do a clean install.

The point is that you can go straight to 8.1 (which is a service pack update). Before you'd have to go 8.0 then install the update.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Indeed. My W8 install is a clean one from a downloaded iso, then activated with the key they sent.
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

The shift to “full version software” for Windows 8.1 will allow “more flexibility for customers in specific technical scenarios and is in response to feedback we’ve received,” wrote Microsoft’s Brandon LeBlanc. He added that “It will be easier for those consumers who want to build PCs from scratch, run Windows 8.1 in Virtual Machine (VM) environments, or run Windows 8.1 on a second hard drive partition.”
    No stupid "OEM" copy - yay! Pricing will be key - at £80 I'd be tempted, at £119 less so.

Less than impressed however with the migration process from Win7 - if that feature that I used to move from XP to 7 is still available ("Windows Easy Transfer") then that'd be my preferred route. Basically, do a WET backup of my 7 user, do a fresh 8.1 install, reinstall my apps, then restore my user.

PS, is it just me or does that second LeBlanc comment scream "Hexus users" at you?
    Quote Originally Posted by maverik-sg1 View Post
    Difference between pro and standard versions (in terms of feature set)is? They should of maintained the launch pricing to assist with upgraders.
    Check out Compare Windows 8.1 Editions. Took a good look myself and I can't really see a reason to go for the "Pro" pack at the moment.
    Last edited by peterb; 18-09-2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Language/swear filter

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

10. Received thanks from:

mtyson (18-09-2013)

Registered+
    Thanks

What is interesting is that, if you wanted to update from Win7. A copy of Win8.0 from main E-Tailers is £60, Win8.1 is then free.
    It will be an even better deal if the they do give a "access to a Windows 8.1 ISO" as asked on their Blog, but somehow I doubt this will happen.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    No you could always do a clean install.

The point is that you can go straight to 8.1 (which is a service pack update). Before you'd have to go 8.0 then install the update.
    Typically Microsoft did release "Windows X with SP-n" install ISOs though, each SP release I have gone through the process of logging into Technet or the VL portal and downloading those to update deployment servers for as long as I can remember. It was only people who bought a retail disk who'd really need to reinstall and then download all service packs via Windows update, even then if they knew anyone with a Technet account then they could get the retail ISO that worked with their keys.

Thanks

google is your friend
    What are the differences between Windows 8.1, Windows 8.1 Pro, and Windows 8.1 Enterprise?

Windows 8.1 is the basic edition for home users. It includes the core feature set that home users require but does not include key business features, such as support for the ability to join domains, process Group Policy, and so on. Windows 8.1 Pro is for small- and medium-sized businesses. It provides enhanced features that help to easily connect to company networks, access files on the go, encrypt data, and more. Last, Windows 8.1 Enterprise edition is available through Windows Software Assurance. It includes all the capabilities of Windows 8.1 Pro, plus premium features such as Windows To Go, DirectAccess, BranchCache, AppLocker, Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI), and Windows 8 app deployment.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Compare Windows 8.1 Editions[/URL]. Took a good look myself and I can't really see a reason to go for the "Pro" pack at the moment.
    Unless you want to take it into a business environment, join a domain, run Hyper-V locally or use Bitlocker then there isn't much reason to go Pro. The really big omission for a lot of people is Remote Desktop server but there are more alternatives than ever to that now.

There is much to be said for Active Directory domains at home though if you've got multiple Windows machines... Group Policies and centralised authentication are really darn useful. Of course I primarily do it for work related research, the death of Technet subs is annoying in that respect.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    There is much to be said for Active Directory domains at home though if you've got multiple Windows machines... Group Policies and centralised authentication are really darn useful. Of course I primarily do it for work related research, the death of Technet subs is annoying in that respect.
    The need to have a machine on 24x7 to act as a AD controller (and the cost!) means that's a non-starter for me, respect due if you do it though

Although I guess if I had that then I can also use it for the Linux boxes too (although a "proper" LDAP etc solution would be a heck of a lot easier - and I CAN run that on a very low power device).

Sorry, I'm veering off topic.

Getting back on topic - re Windows 8 DVD and the downloaded SP. In days of yore (i.e. XP) I've generated a slipstream copy of the installation media, by merging the original install and the SP. Is this option no longer available to Windows 8 users?

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

I use windows on both my laptop and desktop and love it.. if anything I am pissed that the start button is going to be put back on... hope I can disable it!

Thanks

crossy: AD domain at home is something that I could really do with. Multiple windows machines, (vista laptop, w7 desktop, w8 desktop, w8 HTPC) android tablet and a NAS (commercial so probably running some form of linux).

For a simple AD domain to allow roaming profiles I am hoping someone will get Raspberry pi and Samba 4 "plug and play" solution.

Snr Mbr I ain't that old
    Thanks
    • aramil's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570k delided CLU XSPC-Raystorm
      • Memory:
      • corsair vengeance 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 evo 250 Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GeForce GTX 980 Super Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • corsair tx750 v2
      • Case:
      • Zalman MS800
      • Operating System:
      • MS Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 27" 2560x1440
      • Internet:
      • 75-down 17-up

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Getting back on topic - re Windows 8 DVD and the downloaded SP. In days of yore (i.e. XP) I've generated a slipstream copy of the installation media, by merging the original install and the SP. Is this option no longer available to Windows 8 users?
    I have slipstreamed WMC and relavent updates onto a windows 8 pro iso. Depends how 8.1 is actually sent out. As a SP or a full ISO.
    Intel i7 8700K delidded | Asus TUF Z370 Gaming Plus | Palit GTX980 SuperJetStream 4Gb | Samsung 840 EVO 240Gb | Samsung 1Tb F2 | WD 1Tb & 2Tb | Corsair 750TX v2 | 32Gb Corsair Vengence | Saitek Cyborg EVO F.S. | Zalman MS800 | Corsair K90 | AOC 27" 2560x1440 |AOC 24" HD | HTC Vive
    “This post was written using 100% recycled words.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information