Thread: News - Amazon launches Kindle Fire HDX quad-core tablet range

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Amazon launches Kindle Fire HDX quad-core tablet range

Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 equipped tablets are slimmer, lighter, with higher res displays.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Amazon launches Kindle Fire HDX quad-core tablet range

No SD/microSD slot to expand storage means no sale for me. I like to be able to slot in a 32Gb card into my nook with a few HD films on it for long flights, Kindle Fire will not allow that.

But then again virtually all tablets assume everyone is always connected to the cloud. Clearly the designers never get out into the fresh air in very rural parts of countries without Wifi and get 3/4g paid for by their companies

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cjs150 View Post
    No SD/microSD slot to expand storage means no sale for me. I like to be able to slot in a 32Gb card into my nook with a few HD films on it for long flights, Kindle Fire will not allow that.

But then again virtually all tablets assume everyone is always connected to the cloud. Clearly the designers never get out into the fresh air in very rural parts of countries without Wifi and get 3/4g paid for by their companies
    Absolutely agree.

Fixed memory (of a decent size) is acceptable to me for my Kindle, mainly because it'll take about 4000 books, which is vastly more than I actually need, even with my own PDF selection on it too.

But for a tablet, I'm with you, no card slot = no sale .... even if your company happens to be a common fruit.

Thanks
    • Animus404's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
      • CPU:
      • 3.2Ghz AMD PhenomII x4 955
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3 1600mhz (Corsair XMS3)
      • Storage:
      • 320GB WD Caviar Black + 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce GTX 970 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 525watt Entermax Modu82+
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 600T White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • 21" LCD HP Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 38Mbit

You guys don't get it. If these companies allowed the customer to add more storage via SD card then nobody would buy the overpriced versions with more storage.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Animus404 View Post
    You guys don't get it. If these companies allowed the customer to add more storage via SD card then nobody would buy the overpriced versions with more storage.
    We, or at least I, do get it. They offer a product I want at a price I'll pay, and I'll buy. But for a tablet, for me, doing without a card slot is as much use as doing without the screen. For me, it's simply a non-starter, and that's that.

I get why companies offer feature-restricted products to protect the market of 'premium' devices. And don't care why they do it, merely that if they do it (by omitting the card slot) it's not a product that interests me.

It's about what I need or don't need from a product. For instance, if buying a TV, I don't give 3/4 of 5/8 of a rat's dropping about whether it does 3D or not. If the basic model doesn't and the premium model does, I buy the basic. I wouldn't, literally, pay 50p for 3D. I might pay for Freesat HD receiver, but not 3D. I might well not buy if the number of connectors was too small, but don't care about 3D. I do need a certain number of connectors, and don't need 3D. I do need a card slot in a tablet, and without that, I'm not buying any tablet at any price .... unless it has a stupidly high fixed RAM, way higher than any current models. 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, whatever? Not enough. Start talking TB, at current prices, and like my Kindle e-reader, memory is sufficient that a card slot becomes unnecessary, but short of that, for me, no card slot simply equals no sale, no matter why they did it. Oh, and I'm not paying silly money for the premium products either. They aren't worth that to me, so I'd go tablet-less first.

But the fact that other makers (Samsung, for instance) have tablets with card slots mean I don't have to choose between slot-equipped versus slotless, but between Amazon and Samsung.

Hence, Kindle for an e-reader, and Samsung for a tablet, for me.

Thread Information