Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Valve unveils one of the 300 Steam Machine prototypes

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Valve unveils one of the 300 Steam Machine prototypes

Valve hosts a hands-on session with the Steam Machine, SteamOS and Steam controller.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Re: News - Valve unveils one of the 300 Steam Machine prototypes

cute little machine, should push for some more intersting designs in cases. Certainly exciting times ahead!

Thanks
    • YazX's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.5 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Tactical Tracer DDR3 16 GB
      • Storage:
      • 128 GB Samsung SSD, 256 GB Crucial SSD, 4 TB Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNova G1 1000W
      • Case:
      • CM Haf-X
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Qnix 27" 2560x1440
      • Internet:
      • 16 Mbps

is that the prototype with Titan ?

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by YazX View Post
    is that the prototype with Titan ?
    Nope - article says:
    The Steam Machine on demonstration contained pretty capable components with the pairing of an Intel i7 CPU and a GTX 780 GPU.
    So no Titan.

Looking a bit at the SteamOS now, Engadget thought it was surprisingly limited in not being able to venture further than browsing and playing your Steam game library or the browsing the web.
    In which my opinion of Engadget just took a movement downwards since (a) it's supposed to be a GAMES MACHINE, not an effin' PC replacement; and (b) do Engadget realize what the word "prototype" means - i.e. a basis for future development.

Oh, and Engadget, personally if I'm buying a Steam Machine, then it's primary use is GAME PLAYING. I've got tablets and PC's that are going to be better at web browsing, media etc. And since I've got a Tivo box I'm not that bothered about Netflix, Lovefilm, etc, (plus my TV and home theatre system can do VoD anyway).

Like the design a whole lot more than the XBone, especially if they add some extra design above and below the USB ports - at the moment it looks a little bit plain for my taste.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

I know this is the steam box, however I hope they find someway of letting other games play on it that are out of steams reach such as Battlefield, my aunt is planning on buying an xbox to play games on however she wants to play with us but doesn't want a hefty big PC so this is perfect but she wants battlefield

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Nope - article says:
    So no Titan.

In which my opinion of Engadget just took a movement downwards since (a) it's supposed to be a GAMES MACHINE, not an effin' PC replacement; and (b) do Engadget realize what the word "prototype" means - i.e. a basis for future development.

Oh, and Engadget, personally if I'm buying a Steam Machine, then it's primary use is GAME PLAYING. I've got tablets and PC's that are going to be better at web browsing, media etc. And since I've got a Tivo box I'm not that bothered about Netflix, Lovefilm, etc, (plus my TV and home theatre system can do VoD anyway).

Like the design a whole lot more than the XBone, especially if they add some extra design above and below the USB ports - at the moment it looks a little bit plain for my taste.
    Whats the point of the box though??

Its going to be the cost of the parts of a pre-built gaming PC plus the builders markup and unlike a console how long is the hardware going to be relevant?? 5 years?? 2 years?? Its going to expensive for what it is and I doubt it will last anywhere as long as a console.

See people buy it and start bitching and moaning when their £1000+ Tier 1 Steambox is consigned to the meh bin 18 months later,when their mates £600 MK2 Tier 3 SteamBox is better.

Will a 5 year old SteamBox run all games on Steam fine with good framerates??

This is just basicially an Alienware X51 but made by Valve.

Why would anyone want to buy an expensive PC when it is so locked down?? The main reason I have a SFF gaming PC,is because when I am not gaming,I can use it for other things too and its one box which is not too large.

Engadget are right on the money here.

If people want a locked down piece of hardware,you buy a PS4 or XBox One. It will last you 5 to 8 years and the hardware is cheap too and remains relevant for that time.

This is one of the reasons people buy consoles - they do not need to worry about whether the hardware will work fine for years and they know they won't need to spend more on console hardware upgrades.

The SteamBox looks like the bastard son of a console and a gaming PC with the worst of both in terms of cost and longevity.

Console games cost more upfront,but console games still have a secondhand market unlike PC games,and consoles gamers are unlikely to buy a 100 games a year anyway.

I have been building SFF PCs for nearly 8 years now. I would rather build a fully functional box for less.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 05-11-2013 at 02:22 PM.

7. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Javehn22 View Post
    I know this is the steam box, however I hope they find someway of letting other games play on it that are out of steams reach such as Battlefield, my aunt is planning on buying an xbox to play games on however she wants to play with us but doesn't want a hefty big PC so this is perfect but she wants battlefield
    Depends on what "battlefield" - if BF4 then out of luck for the moment, but other versions are on Steam. Blame EA wanting to "own" it all with Origin.
    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    The point of this particular box is that it's a demonstrator, and a development box. Remember that it's described as a "prototype" - and I'm 100% sure that someone of your experience appreciates the implications of that.
    Why would anyone want to buy an expensive PC when it so locked down?? The main reason I have a SFF gaming PC,is because when I am not gaming,I can use it for other things too and its one box which is not too large.
    Sorry, what makes you think this is "locked down". Have they used some special security screws or superglued the box shut? No - of course not. You're right in that it's running something other than Windows - but I'm going to seriously question your sanity if you're saying that running Windows is the only way a system can be "open".
    Again Valve have said that the SM's and Steam OS-running systems will do more than game playing eventually - certainly all the media library stuff is going to be there. And I've also seen comments that the underlying basis make it pretty feasible to add other apps - perhaps like LibreOffice?
    You've also forgotten two aspects of the whole Valve case, namely that SM's were supposed to be user replaceable hardware (if you had the skills) and of course SteamOS itself was available to run on your choice of hardware. So just get one of your SFF's and "upgrade" it to SteamOS - heck, if you need/want that Windows8 comfort blanket, just dual boot.
    Engadget are right on the money here. The SteamBox looks like the bastard son of a console and a gaming PC with the worst of both in terms of cost and longevity.
    No they're not - Engadget, from what little I've seen, are taking the view that SM is a poor competitor for any of the PS4/XBone/WiiU trio because of limited software support, no media capabilities, and high pricing.
    I've no idea how they can say that when the damned prototypes are just out and everyone in the know, (i.e. pretty much everyone else other than Engadget it would seem), are content to take a "wait and see, it's early days" approach. And if I'm dissin' Engadget, I'll just point out that they seem to be pretty positive about Google Glass and these "smartwatches" - especially if the latter has an Apple logo on it. Idiots!
    I have been building SFF PCs for nearly 8 years now. I would rather build a fully functional box for less.
    And therein is the point - YOU'VE been building SFF's for many years. The Steam Machine - if I'm reading the gen right - is designed for those folks who want to walk into PC World or Argos or Tesco's and get a box "that just works". Valve have been very consistent in that message - the Steam Machine probably isn't for you and I - because they realise that we'd want more control and capability. So if you want to "build a fully functional box for less" then do so, slap the hardware together, put SteamOS on it, add the extra apps you need and it's "job done".

As I said, I'm strongly in the "looks interesting, but I'll wait and watch with interest" camp on SM's and SteamOS as a whole. Actually I think I'll probably end up going SteamOS rather than an SM, purely down to value for money. What I definitely won't do though (unlike certain publications who should damn well know better) is just say "it's ugly, expensive and won't run Netflix and Hulu. Waa, waa, waa!"

Yes, I know - I'm in a particularly foul mood today and it's showing.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Oh, the temptation .... get thee behind me, Satan. Such an open goal ....

I could change your username to Happy, or Smiley if it'd help?

/ducks, to avoid incoming overripe tomato.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Oh, the temptation .... get thee behind me, Satan. Such an open goal ....
    I could change your username to Happy, or Smiley if it'd help?
    /ducks, to avoid incoming overripe tomato.
    LOL
    It's cold (3 degree), raining, I'm on a long/dull teleconf, haven't had a hot cup of coffee today, banged my elbow, dog tired and now have copies of BF4 and CoD:Ghosts that I can't play (or even install) because the PC's bust. Less than nothing compared to the problems other people have I know, (drugs, violence, homelessness, poverty), but enough to dampen my otherwise sunny disposition. And at this point, people who've met me are busy spraying their monitors with coffee...

Sorry folks - normal service will be resumed tomorrow.
    Last edited by crossy; 05-11-2013 at 03:42 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

To deliver a unique way to experience PC gaming? Finding a way of making a desktop experience accessible for a sofa gamer?

Its going to be the cost of the parts of a pre-built gaming PC plus the builders markup and unlike a console how long is the hardware going to be relevant?? 5 years?? 2 years?? Its going to expensive for what it is and I doubt it will last anywhere as long as a console.
    I'm pretty sure a 780 would deliver 60fps at 1080p for the next 5 years on the majority of games. Plus, any games developed by Valve will run extremely well with the SteamOS (Or so you would have thought). The hardware on the Xbox one, and PS4 is pretty lacklustre, and is already behind PC's. It will definitely deliver 60fps at 720p for an even longer amount of time.

See people buy it and start bitching and moaning when their £1000+ Tier 1 Steambox is consigned to the meh bin 18 months later,when their mates £600 MK2 Tier 3 SteamBox is better.
    That's more to do with how our capitalist society functions as a whole, consumerism etc. You surely can't expect there not to be several iterations of both consoles?

Will a 5 year old SteamBox run all games on Steam fine with good framerates??
    Well, a 780 would run everything on there now with excellent frame rates. And it's only 1080p.

This is just basicially an Alienware X51 but made by Valve.

Why would anyone want to buy an expensive PC when it is so locked down?? The main reason I have a SFF gaming PC,is because when I am not gaming,I can use it for other things too and its one box which is not too large.
    We don't know pricing yet. They could do what Microsoft did with the 360 and sell below cost price, to get people onto the platform.

Engadget are right on the money here.

If people want a locked down piece of hardware,you buy a PS4 or XBox One. It will last you 5 to 8 years and the hardware is cheap too and remains relevant for that time.
    If people want to experience lovely jaggies at 30fps in a couple years time then they're welcome to that.

This is one of the reasons people buy consoles - they do not need to worry about whether the hardware will work fine for years and they know they won't need to spend more on console hardware upgrades.
    One word: CASUALS

The SteamBox looks like the bastard son of a console and a gaming PC with the worst of both in terms of cost and longevity.

Console games cost more upfront,but console games still have a secondhand market unlike PC games,and consoles gamers are unlikely to buy a 100 games a year anyway.
    Steam sharing, do some homework kid.

Nice to know. Want to mention that some more?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

The point of this particular box is that it's a demonstrator, and a development box. Remember that it's described as a "prototype" - and I'm 100% sure that someone of your experience appreciates the implications of that.
    With a £350 graphics card,which costs as much as a whole PS4.
    Sorry, what makes you think this is "locked down". Have they used some special security screws or superglued the box shut? No - of course not. You're right in that it's running something other than Windows - but I'm going to seriously question your sanity if you're saying that running Windows is the only way a system can be "open".
    Again Valve have said that the SM's and Steam OS-running systems will do more than game playing eventually - certainly all the media library stuff is going to be there. And I've also seen comments that the underlying basis make it pretty feasible to add other apps - perhaps like LibreOffice?
    You've also forgotten two aspects of the whole Valve case, namely that SM's were supposed to be user replaceable hardware (if you had the skills) and of course SteamOS itself was available to run on your choice of hardware. So just get one of your SFF's and "upgrade" it to SteamOS - heck, if you need/want that Windows8 comfort blanket, just dual boot.
    The whole OS is locked down just for gaming on an expensive prebuilt and Valve controls all software distribution on the platform,and that is OK since it is Valve.
    No they're not - Engadget, from what little I've seen, are taking the view that SM is a poor competitor for any of the PS4/XBone/WiiU trio because of limited software support, no media capabilities, and high pricing.
    I've no idea how they can say that when the damned prototypes are just out and everyone in the know, (i.e. pretty much everyone else other than Engadget it would seem), are content to take a "wait and see, it's early days" approach. And if I'm dissin' Engadget, I'll just point out that they seem to be pretty positive about Google Glass and these "smartwatches" - especially if the latter has an Apple logo on it. Idiots!
    Yes,they are. I get the impression people are just making excuses since it is a Valve product. Its a locked down product using expensive hardware. Maybe you should look at the cost of prebuilts with GTX780 cards.

And therein is the point - YOU'VE been building SFF's for many years. The Steam Machine - if I'm reading the gen right - is designed for those folks who want to walk into PC World or Argos or Tesco's and get a box "that just works". Valve have been very consistent in that message - the Steam Machine probably isn't for you and I - because they realise that we'd want more control and capability. So if you want to "build a fully functional box for less" then do so, slap the hardware together, put SteamOS on it, add the extra apps you need and it's "job done".
    I build them since they cost hundreds of quid less.

Plus,you ignore parts of my previous post. You seem not get why consoles are popular and it is the typical mindset of a PC enthusiast(even me if I look at my own choices),even if they own the odd console as a secondary machine.

Hardware costs over time are what make consoles attractive,not only ease of use of the software.

As I said, I'm strongly in the "looks interesting, but I'll wait and watch with interest" camp on SM's and SteamOS as a whole. Actually I think I'll probably end up going SteamOS rather than an SM, purely down to value for money. What I definitely won't do though (unlike certain publications who should damn well know better) is just say "it's ugly, expensive and won't run Netflix and Hulu. Waa, waa, waa!"

Neither am I in a good mood. ATM,I just see Valve making all big promises and hot air.

I agree to disagree.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 05-11-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade Ninja View Post
    To deliver a unique way to experience PC gaming? Finding a way of making a desktop experience accessible for a sofa gamer?

And how is that going to make tens of millions of console owners shift to PC?? Ah,right it does not.

I'm pretty sure a 780 would deliver 60fps at 1080p for the next 5 years on the majority of games. Plus, any games developed by Valve will run extremely well with the SteamOS (Or so you would have thought). The hardware on the Xbox one, and PS4 is pretty lacklustre, and is already behind PC's. It will definitely deliver 60fps at 720p for an even longer amount of time.
    LOL!

You do realise how badly software is optimised on the PC due to the short hardware cycles. You must be on hardware forums too long,if you think the vast majority of gamers will shell out for a £350 graphics card,especially when laptops and tablets are what people prefer to a desktop.

Maybe,you need to consider why console gamers get consoles??

That's more to do with how our capitalist society functions as a whole, consumerism etc. You surely can't expect there not to be several iterations of both consoles?
    All,the changes have kept the hardware the same. Again,ask yourself why that is??

PS=5.5 years
    PS2=6.5 years
    PS3=7 years

XBox=4 years
    XBox 360 = 8 years

Those are the number of years the mentioned consoles,have been the primary devices. They are usually supported after that. The lifespan is very long.

Well, a 780 would run everything on there now with excellent frame rates. And it's only 1080p.

We don't know pricing yet. They could do what Microsoft did with the 360 and sell below cost price, to get people onto the platform.
    Not really IMHO. Consoles are often designed with minimising hardware costs in the longterm and Nvidia is well known to not play well with such things. Prebuilt PCs generally are not.

Microsoft has total equity of $78 billion+ and Sony $28 billion+ with the assets of each exceeding $100+ billion.

Valve has total equity of around $2.5 billion. Sony and MS can afford to subsidise consoles,and they have enough money to make sure studios play to their own line. Valve is both a competitor in games distribution and games development to many companies.

If people want to experience lovely jaggies at 30fps in a couple years time then they're welcome to that.

One word: CASUALS
    So,basically even by your admission the market is small. So a huge percentage of the market will not care for the SteamBox,plus a large number of PC gamers will probably still use Windows,especially if Sony and MS push against Valve.

Considering that the games are played on a TV someway away from you,having pixel sharp quality is not going to be as important a need as for running a game right in front of face on a computer screen. The same goes for photography too,viewing distance is an important consideration.

Even,then the lifespan of MS or Linux based gaming PCs will be just shorter. History has taught us that. There is no incentive for devs to optimise for old PC hardware and why should they??

Intel,AMD and Nvidia want hardware obsolescence to drive sales forward,and many devs get money from them too.

Steam sharing, do some homework kid.

Nice to know. Want to mention that some more?
    Come back in a few years,Kid,bahahahahhahahahhahahhahahahahha!!

You just sound like some E-PEEN kid who has built their first PC,and needs to say how great it is!!

I agree to disagree with you on your points,so I will keep it at that.

PS:

I think I know the own specs of my graphics card!
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 05-11-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Thanks
    • Chadders87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (Sata3)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire AMD Radeon 7870 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 450w (140mm)
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Prodigy
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 21.5'
      • Internet:
      • Sky Unlimited

Better than eastenders

Personally I like the idea of the steambox, but it's worth noting that this particular prototype is designed to be a HIGH END variant. Valve have stated this before while mentioning there will also be other builders out there that will build cheaper models, quieter models, and sexier models.

The innovation and motivation is there, but they will not get it right first time round. The xbox and playstation are already on new models which are improved on past versions. Expect the steambox to be the same... multiple attempts until it sings magic.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Chadders87 View Post
    eastenders

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

.... And at this point, people who've met me are busy spraying their monitors with coffee...

Interesting technique. I usually use screen cleaner, but I'll consider giving that a try. What's the logic .... aromatherapy?

DDY
    Thanks
    • DDY's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z390M Pro 4
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Adata SX8200 NVME 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):