Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: News - Microsoft Xbox One also sold over a million within 24 hours

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Microsoft Xbox One also sold over a million within 24 hours

However there are noisy Blu-ray problems. Also reports say 'Xbox 1.1' will be out in Q1 2014.
    Read more.

OilSheikh

Re: News - Microsoft Xbox One also sold over a million within 24 hours

1 million fools!

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    1 million fools!
    heh. Really though, without these people wanting to waste their money on a xbox one, more of those who want a ps4 wouldn't be able to buy it right now. So I guess its a good thing that millions of people want the xb1 for whatever reason and are willing to pay for it.

Registered+
    Thanks

FYI guys, xbox 1.1 denied by Microsoft Director.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=90911798&postcount=46

Wouldn't surprise me if the hardware is a steam box, those are due for Q1 2014.

Thanks

Well he'd not be likely to confirm it would he? What could be updated though? so it probably is rubbish

Registered+
    Thanks

Only thing I can think of is an internal hardware revision to improve efficiency. That would go along with the 1.1 rather than a 2.0.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Heisenberg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 970A DS3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD 8320
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 560 Ti
      • PSU:
      • 650 W XFX
      • Case:
      • Fractal R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" AOC I2367 FH
      • Internet:
      • 160 Mb Virgin Media Broadband

I've been playing on the Xbox One since release Thursday Night at my brother's (he's the console owner, not me I'm all PC). First of all for those elitist's it is a pretty decent piece of kit, albeit an expensive one too, I was overly impressed with the responsiveness of the menus (having been an xbox 360 owner), the graphics in games like Ryse, Dead Rising and Battlefield 4, however there are many headaches to be had.
    First of all the Kinect sensor is by far the most annoying piece of "kit" I've ever used, causing many headaches as it constantly pauses/unpauses your game at the lowest tone of voice or even a cough and yes we spent a while calibrating it.
    Secondly we have many problems with games, installing stopping on its own, failing to update and worst of all, we completed Dead Rising 3 only for the save to be unloadable, soon as you start a new game it instantly freezes back to Home.
    Lastly the new UI is a disgrace, it takes so much longer to try and find the simplest of things, not to mention I still don't know where or if there is an active download feature anymore, sending messages and looking at achievements can be a real annoyance.

Conclusion to the rant, we had a lot of fun in game with Dead Rising 3, but the problems far outweigh the enjoyment, I'm glad I didn't just pay £600+ I can assure you that.

Just this second I got a call from my brother, his friend has got the Xbox One Green screen of Death, I believe it is now dubbed, basically his Xbox is just showing the loading screen and never gets passed it, him being a PC gamer also, you can bet it will be refunded and spent more wisely.

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Interesting coverage by Hexus on the technical issues on both consoles:

BLOD: “the blue light of death”

On the hardware side of things there have been quite a lot of reports of faulty or DoA PlayStation 4 consoles being received by customers. GameSpot put the number in the thousands and found that Sony’s official figures say the failure rate is 0.4 per cent of about 1 in 250. However looking at the amount of complaints on Amazon.com – there seems to be a large proportion of unhappy punters in terms of one star reviews. Check the screenshot below, you can see the large split in one star and five star reviews.

Meanwhile the official PlayStation Support Forum has published a quick guide to help users troubleshoot the BLOD. It is suggested that many of the errors are due to the TV set you are using not being compatible rather than the PS4 hardware being at fault.

Interestingly a report on NeoWin quotes a source in China saying that unhappy interns working at the Foxconn plant assembling PS4 consoles have been purposefully doing a shoddy job. One of the disgruntled assembly line workers said he/she wasn’t treated well at the company and “The ps4 console we assemble can be turned on at best”.
    Nevertheless, the launch day has not been totally problem-free as there are already reports of technical problems found in some of these £429 machines. This has obviously caused great disappointment to fans that have waited, pre-ordered and queued for the long awaited new console. A Microsoft representative stated that "The issue is affecting a very small number of Xbox One customers. We’re working directly with those affected to get a replacement console to them as soon as possible through our advance exchange program. Rest assured, we are taking care of our customers." Microsoft also stated that the issue is only affecting a tiny number of users.

Faulty machines aside...
    Amazon reviews for the Xbone currently show a worse rating that the PS3 did to justify the screen shot put into your article:

5 star: (56)
    4 star: (8)
    3 star: (6)
    2 star: (8)
    1 star: (40)

Not that I'm planning to buy either, maybe pick one up if my current console dies eventually, but it would be nice to see a consistent approach to reporting on these high profile releases.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Traldera View Post
    Only thing I can think of is an internal hardware revision to improve efficiency. That would go along with the 1.1 rather than a 2.0.
    Probably the 2nd revision, I think Sony did the same with the PS3.

But yeah, the Sony fanboys were really internet active.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post

Not that I'm planning to buy either, maybe pick one up if my current console dies eventually, but it would be nice to see a consistent approach to reporting on these high profile releases.
    I'm not currently planning to buy either, either, though I haven't yet ruled out the PS4. I haven't yet looked at it hard enough to have much thought about it.

But if my current console (XB360) dies, I might replace it with another 360, if I can get one, but given some of the decisions MS made with the One, that decision has been made and it's a definitive "no" from me.

Thanks

Congratulations to Microsoft.
    I don't think I'll be getting any of these new consoles. I'll just stick with my PC, thanks.
    Last edited by zdn1042; 24-11-2013 at 05:21 AM.

Thanks

Niether console has a killer launch title. Seems like a lot of money to spend on better graphics.

Dark side super agent
    Thanks

Once upon a time consoles were launched with must have titles (Nintendo - Mario, Sega - Sonic) but the last gen and now this gen are just so lacking. There are absolutely no games available or coming out soon for either of the new consoles that make me want them. I do plan to take a close look at the indie games though but having said that, what's going to be available there that requires a brand new super duper console? Consoles are about the games, not crappy add on media stuff.
    An Atlantean Triumvirate, Ghosts of the Past, The Centre Cannot Hold
    The Pillars of Britain, Foundations of the Reich, Cracks in the Pillars.

My books are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

Thanks
    • loyal986's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI AM1
      • CPU:
      • Athlon 5350
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb
      • Storage:
      • 820Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD 8400
      • PSU:
      • 250 Watt
      • Case:
      • Kung Fu
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Fujitsu 22"
      • Internet:
      • 10240/1024

Next gen doesent make me wish to buy one of the consoles. I play what I find fit for me XBone ose PS4 doesent metter but I am not interested in well polished games but lack of imagination and playing experience that gives you joy. I might get a wii U after all....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    Well he'd not be likely to confirm it would he? What could be updated though? so it probably is rubbish
    HDMI 2.0??
    4K capable blu-ray player??

Both are in the works and it would make sense for these important additions to be included ASAP for the future of the console ...

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    I'm not currently planning to buy either, either, though I haven't yet ruled out the PS4. I haven't yet looked at it hard enough to have much thought about it.

But if my current console (XB360) dies, I might replace it with another 360, if I can get one, but given some of the decisions MS made with the One, that decision has been made and it's a definitive "no" from me.
    I'm in the same boat - although having a look at Tesco at the weekend and I'm struck how many good deals are available on the "old" XBox. Heck, could almost afford to buy TWO for the price of one of the new ones - and being catty from the recent reviews I'm not convinced that the XBone is necessarily the head-and-shoulders-better graphics that was being claimed. Better, yes, but not even close to being enough of an improvement to warrant that extra spend.

As to the PS4 - if someone manages to do a XBox style controller for that then I'd be very interested. Although I've not had a chance to throw the demented kids out of the way of the test machine in Argos to try the new controller - the PS3 ones though I found horrifically uncomfortable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluecube View Post
    Once upon a time consoles were launched with must have titles (Nintendo - Mario, Sega - Sonic) but the last gen and now this gen are just so lacking. There are absolutely no games available or coming out soon for either of the new consoles that make me want them. I do plan to take a close look at the indie games though but having said that, what's going to be available there that requires a brand new super duper console? Consoles are about the games, not crappy add on media stuff.
    Couldn't agree more - especially with that last sentence. I've got Tivo, smartTV and home theater systems that can do Netflix, Lovefilm, etc - and tablets that can send Google Movies etc to the TV too - so why the heck do I need yet another route? And as for music streaming - forget it - smartphone and a aptX compatible Bluetooth adaptor. Failing that, the home theater system will happily send the music collection (on NAS) to it's 5.1 speakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcrofter View Post
    HDMI 2.0??
    4K capable blu-ray player??
    Both are in the works and it would make sense for these important additions to be included ASAP for the future of the console ...
    Yes, but that's what Bluecube and I can't get our heads around - how are these "important additions" to something whose primary purpose is a games console? That list - while definitely being "nice to haves" only make sense for a media device. In which case why not just spend that XBone money on a proper home theater type BD player setup and get something better suited?

I'm not having a go at you, I just think that Microsoft's "convergence at all costs" strategy in many areas (e.g. tablet interface being forced on desktop users) is now getting a bit on the daft side. Then again, are Sony being any more sensible?

As to the XBone itself, I remember the hassle folks standing in line for the original XBox360 had with RRoD etc. I think the smart move is therefore to wait for six to eight months for Microsoft to get the bugs out, and perhaps launch a "Slim" type model with better, i.e. more reliable, hardware.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information