Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: News - Gran Turismo 6 in-game microtransactions criticised

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Gran Turismo 6 in-game microtransactions criticised

Prices revealed yesterday include £119.95 to unlock a virtual Jaguar XJ13.
    Read more.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Re: News - Gran Turismo 6 in-game microtransactions criticised

Don't agree with the criticism, to be honest. Gran Turismo is a game that built itself on the long-term career aspect - you have to win races to acquire credits to buy new cars.

My big gripe with GT5 was that it forced you to spend actual cash to buy DLC packs to get new cars - and they were shown and listed in the game even if you hadn't bought the DLC, which was incredibly frustrating when you went to buy it thinking it was available. With this new system, it's no different to MMORPGs and the like - if you want to, play properly and work hard to earn your way through the game, or if you can't be bothered, pay for in-game credit and just buy your way to the top.

The main thing is, for those of us who want to play it properly, it shouldn't get in the way - so that's an improvement in my book. The only problem would be if it was impossible to get that many credits, reasonably, in-game. But assuming they haven't changed the reward scale from the old games, that doesn't look like it's the case.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    The main thing is, for those of us who want to play it properly, it shouldn't get in the way - so that's an improvement in my book. The only problem would be if it was impossible to get that many credits, reasonably, in-game. But assuming they haven't changed the reward scale from the old games, that doesn't look like it's the case.
    I wouldnt bank on it. Forza 5 has come under critisism for similar changes. They reduced credits per race, increased car cost, and removed car rewards from the levelling system. Its designed to make you get cars slower so you feel more inclined to buy them with money.

If GT5 does the same, it pretty much marks the end of gaming as we know it. Hopefully they will change the economy to be more reasonable, much like Forza is now after launch.

Thanks
    • cheesyboy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabye 970a-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Athlon X2 270 Cooled by fanless Xigmatek Thor's Hammer
      • Memory:
      • 1x4GB Ballistix Tactical 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX560Ti
      • PSU:
      • 400w Be Quiet Pure Power L8
      • Case:
      • Bitfenix Shinobi Mid-Tower Black/Green
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1

You don't HAVE to buy these, but the alternative is to grind and grind and grind to work for it in-game (you can bet they make this task more onerous than in earlier GT games). Fun.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by cheesyboy View Post
    You don't HAVE to buy these, but the alternative is to grind and grind and grind to work for it in-game (you can bet they make this task more onerous than in earlier GT games). Fun.
    If it's onerous to play the game as it is out of the box then I won't buy it, simple. There are plenty of other games out there waiting for my hard earned dollar so I'll pick based on what's the most fun for me

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Pay2Win comes to non-Free2Play games - joy!

I have come to accept the (potential) necessity of at least some DLC in modern titles but paid-for "leg ups" in online competitive games is just taking the IMO.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • george1979's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Kingston Hyper X
      • Storage:
      • 128Gb Crucial M4 + 1Tb Samsung F3 + 1Tb WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX570 Twin Frozer 2
      • PSU:
      • 700W Coolermaster Silent M Pro
      • Case:
      • CM 690 II Advanced
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2222HDL & Dell 2312HM
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet

When did £120 for a digital car become a 'micro'-transaction? Its anything but!

I'm really not fond of this model at all. If you are paying for the game then these added payable extras should be limited in scope and price. They certainly shouldn't cost twice as much as the bloody game. Totally idiotic.

EDIT - sorry THREE times as much as the game? Dear oh dear....

Thanks
    • KrisWragg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock X370 Taichi
      • CPU:
      • AMD 1700X @ 3.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 500GB 950 Evo + 500GB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 290 @ 1.1Ghz
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Platinum 660W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell U2713HM
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 78mbit down / 20mbit up

Quote Originally Posted by george1979 View Post
    When did £120 for a digital car become a 'micro'-transaction? Its anything but!

I'm really not fond of this model at all. If you are paying for the game then these added payable extras should be limited in scope and price. They certainly shouldn't cost twice as much as the bloody game. Totally idiotic.

EDIT - sorry THREE times as much as the game? Dear oh dear....
    It's called milking people for all they're worth, gaming industry has been spiralling the toilet for years now. It's the same with all the crowdfunded games charging full-whack to have your money 12 - 18 months upfront.

9. Received thanks from:

McEwin (06-12-2013)

Thanks
    • csgohan4's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 9 AC
      • CPU:
      • I7 4770K with Noctua-D15
      • Memory:
      • G SKILL 2400Mhz 8GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB| Seagate 1TB + 1.5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 780 ACX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX 860
      • Case:
      • HAF X with NF-S12B FLX, TY-140, X4 Coolermaster Megaflow 200mm and Demciflex Dust Flters
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 24inch LCD W2468L
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre Unlimited with Asus DSL N66U

What is your definition of Pay 2 win? You can still get said items in game through earning in game cash, it isn't an item you cannot obtain in game without real money, nor is it a super powered car noone can get unless they pay for it.
    Trust Profile HEXUS Forum FAQ and Colour coding/Post Count awards

'The Fox is cunning and relentless, and has got his Fibre Optic Broadband'

Thanks

Pay To Cheat - fine.

Make the game a horrendous grinding experience so that you are forced to pay to get anywhere - bad, evil wrong. Why isn't the game cheap to compensate?

Making those fees really high - are you kidding me? Why isn't the game free?

Thanks

meh these prices are nothing new in the world of 'micro transactions'... seriously just look at the rip off prices on ea's need for speed world.

In some cases nfs:w has no 'in game cash' alternatives to purchase an item, at least with this game you don't HAVE to pay real money, it will just take you longer to get it. Having said that you don't need to pay for the game first.

This is the future of gaming, hardcore game players are going to get screwed over and parents are going to have more 'issues' with children wanting money for the next 'virtual item'

Thanks

The act of putting microtransactions in a game on top of a initial £40 price tag is just horrific however you spin it.

For the "as long as it doesn't get in the way" crowd just remember.

As long as they exist in a game publishers will be incentivised to revise the core mechanics of the game to make the grind harder and hence nudge people towards spending real money on in-game credits. The publishers behind Forza 5 may have "adjusted the economy" for now to quell the outrage, but you can bet they'll try to pull the same shenanigans next year. Once people accept micro-transactions the publishers will start to turn the screw and before you know it the practices that have provoked widespread outrage this year will be mildly disputed next year, perhaps even welcomed the year after that.

If I ever sit down to play a game with micro-transactions I will be playing it with the full knowledge that the game has been engineered to test my ability to resist spending my money on credits, which I think is absolutely disgusting. Even more disgusting when I have already shelled out £40 for the goddamn privilege of subjecting myself to mental torture.

So in a nutshell, the only winning move is not to play and sod the gaming industry.

14. Received thanks from:

Traldera (06-12-2013)

Registered+
    Thanks

Hate any form of microtransactions as it's is just a money grabbing way to suck every penny they can out of fans of that particular franchise, i would definitely be less inclined to buy the game. At the end of the day just a game, one product that i want to buy once, definitely not something that should leech away at my bank account.

OilSheikh

So, I pay for a game, and then I have to pay more for things to be unlocked ?

Registered+
    Thanks
    • rootminus1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • XFX 750i
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6750 @ 3.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 650Ti Boost
      • PSU:
      • XFX Pro 850W
      • Case:
      • SilverStone Raven RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit

The issue of micro-transactions is obviously a contentious one.
    My particular disagreement is that while the income model for gaming originated in the arcades; pay to play, it had to strike a balance of cost against playability. No one would pay their quarter/20p for a game they wouldn't last 2 minutes with.
    Now we've headed to a dark world where PC games are £40+ for basic editions, and the same experience on a console is pushing SIXTY POUNDS, a heavy price at the outset, bonus features are £10-15 for the special edition, and now they want more money to give you parts of the game that used to be standard?!?
    Compare that to any other form of media entertainment.
    DVDs/BluRays- I don't mind paying the £5-10 for the special editions with the deleted scenes and director's cut, I feel that wanting to experience the extras is a testament to the quality of the general release. Not hearing the producers and casts commentary doesn't detract from the main experience, so why do I feel like I'm missing out on a large chunk of game if I don't get the special editions with those missions/weapon packs. Then there's micro-transactions, how frustrated would you be if you had to pay extra every time you watched series 1 GoT on Blu-Ray to stop adverts appearing mid-episode. There'd be outrage, and yet we put up with that in our games?
    Theatre- Dunno how many people go regularly, but the same applies. You pay more to sit in the best seats closer to the stage, you don't pay more to not have to wear a blindfold or ear defenders. Your experience isn't specifically limited because you didn't throw cash at it. Again, to extend the M.T. mataphor, an actor on stage wouldn't perform the key monologue to only the people on the front row, nor would they drop a slow scene in place of an improvised extra because "shut-up-take-my-money"
    Someone somewhere high up in the games industry needs to take a good hard look at what this unsustainable, mogul-like, insidious, parasite of a revenue stream model is doing, not only to the fans, not only to the games they produce, but also to themselves and the industry as a whole

18. Received thanks from:

Traldera (06-12-2013)

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    So, I pay for a game, and then I have to pay more for things to be unlocked ?
    No you don't have to do anything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information