Thread: News - Humble Bundle PC codes found being resold via online retailers

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Humble Bundle PC codes found being resold via online retailers

Reselling these charity supporting bundle Steam codes has moral and legal implications.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • DemonHighwayman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb 2.4Ghz Kingston Beast
      • Storage:
      • 256 Gb Samsung 850 Pro (Main), 4TB Toshiba X300 (games), 2TB External TV/Films HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • KFA2 RTX 2070 EXOC
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Real Power M700
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 20 VT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q
      • Internet:
      • Yes most of the time

Re: News - Humble Bundle PC codes found being resold via online retailers

I noticed in the last bundle i bought that it is just a single steam code for all humble games now. It's a good idea but annoying if you already have a couple of the games in the bundle.

Anyway I don't think 7 Entertainment is at fault here, it's just one of those things where people will try anything to make a few quid.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

As much as I love CD key stores, I think this is over the line. Taking advantage of charity to make money is below the belt.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

I can see both sides of this one. Devs really should realise that selling their games for a dollar or less is bound to have a downside, which is why historically prices were much higher. This glut of under-a-fiver software has horribly devalued software, and I suspect many devs just haven't thought it through.

That said, there's no way sites should be breaking terms and conditions of sale - if the products are marked as not-for-resale then so-be-it.

Second hand sales are always a problem for the software industry, whatever form that second-hand may take. That's because in the digital age, there's little differnce between "new" and "second hand" as there would be with physical items. Second hand users expect the same service as new, but devs don't see the money. However, second hand sales are protected under EU law, so we just have to live with things. It's really up to each dev to consider how to tackle the issue, but the traditional solution has been to price new products to cover the inevitable second hand sale. The 1$ software model really doesn't take that into account, except by volume of sales.

However, the move to all-in-one keys isn't so good for the consumer. I often find that I already own one or two items in a bundle, but used to be able to give those keys to my wife or son. Now, if I already own a game, it is effectively "lost", despite me paying for it as part of the bundle.

Registered+
    Thanks

Last bundle I bought had g2a as the largest donator. I very much so doubt they were buying just for themselves....

Thanks
    • Jellyfish's system
      • Motherboard:
      • M5a97 Evo r2
      • CPU:
      • 8320@3.5
      • Memory:
      • Kingston 2x4gb@1600
      • Storage:
      • 1tb WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 270
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 520w
      • Case:
      • Arc Midi r2
      • Operating System:
      • Win8.1 64

I thought they had removed the keys and offered only the gift option to give to someones Steam account? Were the games from older bundles, or do they change the system for each deal on gifting/codes?

Thanks

Seems overplayed to me. Remember GameInformer is owned by the retailer Gamestop. I think they're using this situation to portray key stores in a bad light, which is all part of business and GI/GS wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't use the situation to their advantage.

Thanks
    • GeorgeStorm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77IA-E53
      • CPU:
      • i5 3450
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3 1866mhz C10
      • Storage:
      • 256gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX780
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W SFX
      • Case:
      • Parvum mitx
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2711 + U2311H

For the latest bundle I bought I never see a key, each game just gets added to my account when I click on the link on humble bundle, still individually so I think I might be able to log in using another steam account and redeem a game on a different account if I wanted to.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by icemantaz View Post
    Last bundle I bought had g2a as the largest donator. I very much so doubt they were buying just for themselves....
    EVERY bundle has g2a as the largest donator. They donate I think about $1000 per bundle for the save the children foundation or something, and then resell the keys they get for like $50 each, and then deduct the charitable donation on their business taxes.

Registered+
    Thanks

If the world lived as one and clothed, fed, housed and gave all people a quality of life they deserve then we wouldn't have people doing things like this. Money rules the world and until commerce goes away we are going to have things like this happen.

Thread Information