Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - AMD makes a $36 million loss in its second quarter

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - AMD makes a $36 million loss in its second quarter

Cut in cryptocurrency mining related activity using GPUs has had a negative effect.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Jowsey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock H81M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNova GS 550 watt
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb

Re: News - AMD makes a $36 million loss in its second quarter

Gah, it's terrifying to see AMD posting losses reliably. I do not want to see AMD fold as a company as what little competition they offer against Intel and Nvidia will disappear. I imagine someone will eventually purchase there IP but in the gap between production re-starting with a new company it would look like a very poor market. That's also considering Nvidia and Intel don't pick it apart just to ensure the competition has to build from scratch.
    Steam - ReapedYou - Feel free to add me!!

Thanks
    • Fraz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A-UD5
      • CPU:
      • Watercooled i7-980X @ 4.2 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 24GB Crucial DDR3-1333
      • Storage:
      • 240 GB Vertex2E + 2 TB of Disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Water-cooled Sapphire 7970 @ 1175/1625
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modu87+
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700D
      • Operating System:
      • Linux Mint 12 / Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 30" 3008WFP and two Dell 24" 2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60 Mbps

"Our transformation strategy is on track and we expect to deliver full year non-GAAP profitability and year-over-year revenue growth"
    Non-GAAP profitability eh?

I'm certainly no accountant, but if you can't manage to show a profit using generally accepted accounting practices, then I'm somewhat sceptical that it's really a profit.

Thanks
    • Jowsey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock H81M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNova GS 550 watt
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Fraz View Post
    Non-GAAP profitability eh?

I'm certainly no accountant, but if you can't manage to show a profit using generally accepted accounting practices, then I'm somewhat sceptical that it's really a profit.
    It'll probably be regarding how exceptional items are accounted for. Such as write down of stocks and other such large one off items. So instead of taking a hit to the P&L in the period of occurrence ( which is probably what the current US GAAP states, it's what UK GAAP states ) they could be forced to write it off over several periods .

It could also be how they account for large contracts. This is can be a very complex area of accounting as to when you actually recognise the sale. Perhaps the new standard they will adopt will bring forward the point you recognise the sale in your accounts, therefore including more revenue, and hopefully turning a profit.

I think...

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Interesting to see professional graphics has greater sales now.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Jowsey View Post
    Gah, it's terrifying to see AMD posting losses reliably. I do not want to see AMD fold as a company as what little competition they offer against Intel and Nvidia will disappear. I imagine someone will eventually purchase there IP but in the gap between production re-starting with a new company it would look like a very poor market. That's also considering Nvidia and Intel don't pick it apart just to ensure the competition has to build from scratch.
    While I too wouldn't want to see AMD disappear*, it might be interesting to speculate on how the market would develop if NVidia and Intel "vultures" pounced on the AMD carrion and took away complimentary parts. So Intel grabbed the ex-ATi parts and NVidia got the "mainline AMD" (desktop/server processor lines).

Although I would have thought that with both Sony and Microsoft picking up AMD parts for their next-gen consoles AMD would be in good state. Strange.

(* Current gaming rig runs AMD CPU and GPU)

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    While I too wouldn't want to see AMD disappear*, it might be interesting to speculate on how the market would develop if NVidia and Intel "vultures" pounced on the AMD carrion and took away complimentary parts. So Intel grabbed the ex-ATi parts and NVidia got the "mainline AMD" (desktop/server processor lines).

Although I would have thought that with both Sony and Microsoft picking up AMD parts for their next-gen consoles AMD would be in good state. Strange.

(* Current gaming rig runs AMD CPU and GPU)
    Intel would want the lot just to stop anyone else getting it, and have very deep pockets. CPU merger would be blocked by anti monopoly, but could be dragged out in the courts long enough to destroy the CPU business which is all Intel would want anyway. Any AMD graphics could be developed and sold at contra-revenue to the point that Nvidia were wreaked. No point in integrating the ATI tech into Intel CPUs, there isn't anything in that for Intel and it isn't like Nvidia would be around for long to keep making them look bad.

Then just let the ATI discrete cards stagnate so that you might as well just stick to integrated graphics.

So I think the 10 year view would be Intel as last man standing, and an evolution of the current Intel integrated graphics will be the best available so you had better like it. The only possible good thing would be that the Nvidia device driver writers might end up at Intel so their drivers might actually work.

This would lead to Intel doubling their prices in real terms, because like VIA who were the last lot to cross them are in any shape to step in, so they could do what they want. If you want to game, it will probably have to be on an Android/iOS platform as they are outside the PC ecosystem and immune to all this.

Registered+
    Thanks

Another voice to hoping AMD stick around. I've had good times with their CPU's especially when AMD Athlon first came out and was ahead of Intel for a while, including breaking the 1GHz barrier easily while Intel couldn't do it etc.

I'm getting a new PC - which...um...will have an Intel i7 - there's nothing AMD have that can compete against that, but later on down the line, I do plan to have a cheaper 2nd SteamOS dedicated PC which I've planned on using an AMD APU with - the speedup Mantle give for those make it more interesting - plus it would only need to game at HD resolution.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Interesting to see professional graphics has greater sales now.
    not necessarily greater sales, although bang per buck firepro's are pretty good unless you need cuda support so it's a possibility. The main reason is that the markup is huge compared with gaming cards.

AMD does however really need to get it's behind in gear when it comes to cpu's, it's all very well pushing the APU (which is the way to go) but 90% of programs still don't make use of it so you generally rely on cpu performance and they're being totally killed by Intel in this regards.

They have some of the best value 'combined' chips and they'd be ideal for laptops but they just don't seem to realise that people want to use their laptops for more than a couple of hours, Intel have noticed that users want 'all day' battery life and spent time focusing on this.

The Ace
    Thanks

Buying PS4 or Xbone could save them but then again you need to buy a lot of them in order to gain Operating Income.

Thanks

Nothing strange about this, they have huge debt that ought to be paid some day or another that's why you see positive margin and positive growth but no profit. And the idiots on wallst are just nuts. The company has a 25% growth after the litecoin craze stopped in a traditionally low quarter and they dump the stock?? This is so much bull**** I don't even know how those guys can keep it together over at AMD.

AMD is in good state, it has loads of cash equiv on it's hand afaik ~1bn that is 20% of anual revenue for crying out loud. Now the ship is moving, they just need to shed the 2.2Bn debt they have and they're in the clear but that will take till probably 2017 to do so.

@crossy I remind you that IF AMD fails Intel and NVIDIA will get dismantled as the 2 would effectively have monopoly each in its own market, they will have so many problems on their hands feeding off of AMDs carrion would be the least of their problems. Also if AMD leaves the PC space altogether and the market would still exist Intel would be in big trouble as it would need to decide how to reorganize into 2 distinct companies. Better pray AMD keeps it together for another few years to get out of the slum it's in. And BTW I expect AMD to post a profitable 2014, the increase in revenue will eventually topple the debt and increase was steady there.

Thanks
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

Sorry AMD - I brought my 280x second hand from probably a person who used it for mining. Was half the price of new :-(

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tcubed View Post
    I remind you that IF AMD fails Intel and NVIDIA will get dismantled as the 2 would effectively have monopoly each in its own market, they will have so many problems on their hands feeding off of AMDs carrion would be the least of their problems.
    Yea because monopoly's have been handled so well in the past ain't they, the monopolies commission or who ever preceded over the decision would just claim there is competition in the market from the likes of VIA and ARM, or claim Intel and AMD are competing against each other.

Nothing was ever done when Microsoft had a monopoly and they had a %90+ share of all personal computing devices at one point in time.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

@crossy I remind you that IF AMD fails Intel and NVIDIA will get dismantled as the 2 would effectively have monopoly each in its own market, they will have so many problems on their hands feeding off of AMDs carrion would be the least of their problems. Also if AMD leaves the PC space altogether and the market would still exist Intel would be in big trouble as it would need to decide how to reorganize into 2 distinct companies. Better pray AMD keeps it together for another few years to get out of the slum it's in. And BTW I expect AMD to post a profitable 2014, the increase in revenue will eventually topple the debt and increase was steady there.
    I kind of agree with you on this - I honestly can't see how AMD can, short of major screwup, make a loss given the console revenue.

As to the splitting of Intel and NVidia - maybe it'd be a good thing for the market if Intel was split up.

Talking to someone at the weekend and they were pointing out that the Russians are eager to get some chip tech, and the People's Republic (China) is also on a tech-grab and has deep pockets. The comment about AMD being broken up was purely a "thought experiment", I can't see it happening for a variety of reasons.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

@crossy I remind you that IF AMD fails Intel and NVIDIA will get dismantled as the 2 would effectively have monopoly each in its own market, they will have so many problems on their hands feeding off of AMDs carrion would be the least of their problems.
    Not the way I see it. Plenty of people making CPUs at the moment (in fact it seems like everyone and their dog are at it!), which means I find it hard to see how Intel would be effected.

GPUs.....well, nVidia could point at Intels HDxxxx iGPUs, SIS, Qualcomm, ARM and Matrox.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • Lanky123's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H81M-D2V
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4570
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD + 2+4TB HDD + 3TB Synology DS216SE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Radeon R9 270X HAWK
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Strider 400W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02B-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 / Ubuntu 16.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • ElectriQ 32" 4k IPS + Dell 22" U2212HM
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 60Mbit/s

Seems to me that however AMD move forward Intel, nVidia and probably Microsoft will still have to think carefully about their strategy and prices. A stagnant PC market with inflated prices might just lead to a rapid development of desktop/laptop ARM based machines, possibly with a few Linux distros replacing the Windows monopoly. It would probably be the bottom end of the market at first but with a lot of people's basic computer needs being browser based and Valve trying to shake off the Wintel-only gaming situation I see fewer obstacles to such a shift these days. I can dream at any rate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information