Thread: News - Valve may soon be adding TV, movies and music to Steam store

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Valve may soon be adding TV, movies and music to Steam store

A recent beta update makes reference to a range of new application-type IDs.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • DemonHighwayman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb 2.4Ghz Kingston Beast
      • Storage:
      • 256 Gb Samsung 850 Pro (Main), 4TB Toshiba X300 (games), 2TB External TV/Films HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • KFA2 RTX 2070 EXOC
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Real Power M700
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 20 VT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q
      • Internet:
      • Yes most of the time

Re: News - Valve may soon be adding TV, movies and music to Steam store

Could this possibly just be a reference to SteamOS ? as I think a lot of people who have tried it have been asking for some media playback ability.
    Although Valve do seem to be pushing more and more stuff onto their store, so I can believe they would sell films and music also.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

If you are tired of seeing unwanted/finished games in your Steam library, you might be interested to know that Steam Beta participants are now able to hide games, with the latest update. TechnoBuffalo has put together an easy guide showing how to turn on beta access and the simple steps involved in hiding your games should you be interested.
    I'd prefer a backup/restore feature that actually worked - every time I've tried to (apps partition is now getting very tight for space) back off some old title the backup's got to 90%+ and then said that there's been some (undisclosed) error.

Second on my "wish list" for Steam would be a way to have multiple library locations - e.g. a "main" and an "archive" with the ability to move games from main to archive and back again. Main Steam library is on an SSD and it's be real handy to have seldom played games migrated to a HDD-resident partition.

TV, movies and music on Steam I'm not that bothered about - after all, let's be honest, it's not as if there's a lack of other vendors already out there, be it Play, iTunes or Amazon.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Bagnaj97

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Second on my "wish list" for Steam would be a way to have multiple library locations
    You can have multiple library locations, which is awesome when you're running out of space! I don't know of a way to move things between different library locations though. It may be a simple as copying the game folder from one steam/steamapps/common/ to another but I haven't tried it.

Thanks
    • CampGareth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ?
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 3740QM @ 2.7-4.1GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB corsair/samsung 1600MHz SODIMM
      • Storage:
      • 1x240GB Intel 335 SSD, 1x250GB samsung 5400rpm HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Dual GTX680Ms in sli
      • PSU:
      • 300W brick
      • Case:
      • Clevo P370EM
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Crossover 2720MDP 2560x1440 IPS, Cibox 22" 1680x1050 TN, internal 17.3" 1080p LG matte
      • Internet:
      • Ask4 50/6 fibre

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    I'd prefer a backup/restore feature that actually worked - every time I've tried to (apps partition is now getting very tight for space) back off some old title the backup's got to 90%+ and then said that there's been some (undisclosed) error.

Second on my "wish list" for Steam would be a way to have multiple library locations - e.g. a "main" and an "archive" with the ability to move games from main to archive and back again. Main Steam library is on an SSD and it's be real handy to have seldom played games migrated to a HDD-resident partition.

TV, movies and music on Steam I'm not that bothered about - after all, let's be honest, it's not as if there's a lack of other vendors already out there, be it Play, iTunes or Amazon.
    Regarding backup, I'm pretty sure that's just you, I just backed up gmod and it was totally fine.

You can already have multiple libraries but moving between them is not a simple operation, games make entries in the registry which you could move to point elsewhere but that isn't going to be quick, maybe a few minutes worst case? Currently you can just copy the files across, delete the game in the original library then re-download and select the new library, it should find the existing files re-install. That process already takes a few minutes. I'm not sure you could automate it and leave it running in the background either since it's likely to hammer the storage devices involved, so might make your computer rather unresponsive.

Thanks
    • zaph0d's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570-A Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 48GB - 2X 32GB and 2X 16GB at 3200
      • Storage:
      • 480GB NVME (OS) 2TB 8 Drive sas Raid0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 1070
      • PSU:
      • 1000W Coolermaster
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-343B (Original Model)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2X 55" Samsung 4k tv's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 500Mb

If you've got plenty of ram, Imdisk Ramdrive allows you to mount a ramdrive in a particular folder... ie /steam/steamapps/common/<game of choice>, and it'll run faster than an SSD and as an image file reads off mechanical drives almost as fast as SSD's, as it's a single large sequential (as long as your drive's not too fragmented) file.

I run all my games this way, as I enable ntfs compression on the Ramdrive which makes the images smaller, and somehow faster as well.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Just backup the game folders in steam\steamapps\common

The if you need to restore, you start the download going, then exit steam, copy files and log back in. Never had an issue doing it that way.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by CampGareth View Post
    Regarding backup, I'm pretty sure that's just you, I just backed up gmod and it was totally fine.
    Check the Steam forums (and other gaming related ones) and I'm sure you'll see that it's definitely not just me who has issues with it. "Flaky" is a word oft-used. Actually I'm probably being a touch unfair as I've not tried it in a month or two - maybe give it a whirl tonight. Then again there's always the zip-the-directory-structure backup that's been mentioned elsewhere. That also gets your saved games.

Apart from that thanks for the reply. I'll have to look up the multiple library feature - could be useful for stuff that's not that important.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DemonHighwayman View Post
    Could this possibly just be a reference to SteamOS ? as I think a lot of people who have tried it have been asking for some media playback ability.
    Although Valve do seem to be pushing more and more stuff onto their store, so I can believe they would sell films and music also.
    Hell year, why not... Especially if they have sales on them like the steam winter and summer sale... Cant't see that happening though unfortunitely.

Registered+
    Thanks

I hope they make it easy - ie can be as simple as launching an "in-Steam browser" - for accessing stuff like Netflix. This would simplify quite a bit of the work since in the case of Netflix, they are starting to move away from Silverlight and going for HTML5 native mode - http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/08/netflix-linux-html5-support-plugins. Likewise with BBC iPlayer, they have a bigscreen mode for their website - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/bigscreen/ - stuff like that would be trivial for Steam to add on as "services" where it's just launching a browser to their website.

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

I like Steam in that it's just for games (and a few apps). I don't want another place to have to manage my digital film/tv library. Steam lives on my gaming PC, My NAS, Lovefilm and bluray player are for my living room TV.

It's certainly going to water down my experience as a gamer, are Valve going to get all the big studios and labels on board to offer content? What are the prices going to be like?

I appreciate that they are trying to break in to the living room, but I'm hoping if they do expand their core gaming service to digital media there's an option to hide non-game content.

Thread Information