Thread: Reviews - Corsair Carbide Series Air 240

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Reviews - Corsair Carbide Series Air 240

Been waiting for a smaller version of the Air 540? Here it is.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Reviews - Corsair Carbide Series Air 240

I do like a good Corsair case these days. Been using them for my customers ever since I bought a Graphite 600

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Could do with a fan controller as standard
    Why? Most people can more than make do with their motherboard headers, and they don't have to manually fiddle with switches and dials to boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Spreadie

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    Why? Most people can more than make do with their motherboard headers, and they don't have to manually fiddle with switches and dials to boot.
    Yeah, that used to be my default position, until Asus decided to ignore the issues with their fanxpert software, and I found that most others are a bit, well, meh.

I will say that the Air 240 should have at least one 5.25" bay, if not to accommodate an optical drive then at least allow the option to fit an externally accessible fan controller/Aquaero device.

It looks like Corsair have decided to push people toward their own AIOs and Link software than offer the opportunity to easily use other liquid cooling and control options. I own a H100i myself and I quite like the Link software, but the apparent decision to restrict our options is a bit shoddy in my opinion.
    Last edited by Spreadie; 15-08-2014 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks

I still like it and it's likely the best option I'll find but I can't help but feel that they didn't quite hit the nail on the head because the review confirmed the issue I had when it was announced.

If they'd have made it literally 20mm bigger (on side of motherboard) so they could fit a rad in 2/3 sides rather than the 1/2 sides it has now.

It just seems too big for a mitx and I doubt many mitx users will use 2x120mm rads and it's too small to do 2x120mm rads with matx which is more likely to use them.

Not bothered about a fan controller but pretty sure they're trying to get you to use their corsair link software....which requires more corsair products

Thanks

I hope they improved on the issues with the 540, which should be the dream case to build into, but if you've not got a full-length 5.25" device (such as many fan controllers, card readers, etc) then you have to completely remove the front, which is a huge faff (6 of those horrible old spring-clips with screws I'd not seen in years, two of which are in very awkward places) in order to remove the bay and screwless mounting system to manually screw your device in... but then you can't actually install it as the front facia won't go beyond the facia of the device, and the bay section has to be mounted from the inside, so there's no way to mount shortened devices at all, but you only find that out after 30 minutes of shouting.

They should be dream cases to build into, and the form factor does have some advantages, but go beyond the very basics and they quickly become an awful lot more work than they need to be.

It's like they designed a case, but didn't bother actually using it before releasing it, as if they'd tested in a few basic combinations they'd have realised these issues.

The 540 is probably the most frustrating case I've worked with since an old £20 plastic thing I bought for work 10-12 years back which tried to remove fingers segment by segment. I hope this 240 improves on that.

Edit: Oh, this doesn't have 5.25" bays, so much of the above isn't relevant. That's one way of solving that particular problem I guess!
    Last edited by this_is_gav; 15-08-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

One thing confuses me, this is an mATX case so why put mini-ITX parts in it?
    And why is it that all these "cube" cases are never actual cubes?

As a small mATX case it looks good, I know there is a growing movement against 5.25" bays (although I still like them, even if you don't put an optical drive in, they still have the greatest flexibility for other devices, such as fan controllers, reservoirs, heck even hard drives) so I understand them dropping it.
    An overall a common build is just a single graphics card, single ssd, maybe a single hard drive and an All-In-One water cooler, so combine that on a mATX motherboard with an ATX psu and this is looking to be a good smaller case to put it in.
    With most users no longer packing in so many bits and bobs, it looks like they are chasing the more general market who want a smaller system.

Spreadie

Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    And why is it that all these "cube" cases are never actual cubes?
    You mean like ice cubes, or the Nissan Cube?

Thread Information