Thread: News - Zeiss introduces the VR One headset, coming in December

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Zeiss introduces the VR One headset, coming in December

The $99 headset is ready to compete with rival Samsung's Gear VR.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Zeiss introduces the VR One headset, coming in December

I thought the Oculus Rift would be a dead cert, as long as they didn't bring it to market too quickly.

I never expected that competition could kill the VR concept entirely for the second time, but between this and Project Morpheus I'm not so sure. If too many people try and buy inferior versions first, it won't matter how good the commercial Rift turns out to be.

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

As somebody who will never pay £400 for a top end phone these 'insert phone' VR headsets are pointless, I could imagine running my lumia in it, not sure if my eyes, brain or phone would melt first.

The other worry is if the market gets flooded with such devices it could cause real quality problems which could do damage to the whole VR 'image'.

I will wait for the Oculus comsumer unit.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Percy1983 View Post
    I will wait for the Oculus comsumer unit.
    I don't. Pre Facebook takeover it was an interesting oddity, perhaps giving better "immersion" in first person shooters. After Facebook took it over then it slipped to "stupid social media 'enhanced' gadget that'd be interesting for about 15 minutes then end up in the cupboard".

So, if I'm going VR then Morpheus etc are more interesting. That said, I've got one of those mini-phablets so I can't use this Zeiss setup. Of which speaking, open SDK

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

I wouldn't worry too much about the facebook deal, its given oculus money/resourses and not changed its direction.

I don't see how getting the same or potentially better product earlier due to investment makes it a worse product.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    I don't. Pre Facebook takeover it was an interesting oddity, perhaps giving better "immersion" in first person shooters. After Facebook took it over then it slipped to "stupid social media 'enhanced' gadget that'd be interesting for about 15 minutes then end up in the cupboard".
    I don't know if I'll ever want it for Doom-esque shooters, but I'd love to use it for The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Alien: Isolation, Elite, and pretty much any racing game. I think there's a lot more life in this thing than just 15 minutes of novelty value from the games that already exist, and additionally we have no idea yet what kinds of games/simulations the kits will inspire.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Percy1983 View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about the facebook deal, its given oculus money/resourses and not changed its direction. I don't see how getting the same or potentially better product earlier due to investment makes it a worse product.
    I'm not going to disagree with the "investment" angle - mainly because it's common sense. But on the other hand, did you think that Facebook splurged US$2bn merely because Mark Zuckerberg thought that Occulus was a "neat piece of technology"? Check out the coverage around the deal at the time and you'll see that Facebook bought Occulus because they thought that it was going to be "the next evolution in social networking".

Now that shouts to me that an Occulus user is going to be "encouraged" to link their games to their Facebook account, and if you don't have a Facebook account then it'll be a pre-requisite ("to allow Occulus Inc to notify you of updates and new features"). I don't trust Facebook, so I don't have an account, which makes any tie up deeply suspicious. And I'm not the only person wondering if - while playing a game - you'll get "Bob Smith is also playing this game, would you like to friend him"; or "you've been playing for 90 minutes, wouldn't a Coke/Pepsi be a good idea at this point from your local ... (insert name of shop here)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Otherhand View Post
    I don't know if I'll ever want it for Doom-esque shooters, but I'd love to use it for The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Alien: Isolation, Elite, and pretty much any racing game. I think there's a lot more life in this thing than just 15 minutes of novelty value from the games that already exist, and additionally we have no idea yet what kinds of games/simulations the kits will inspire.
    Actually, I was thinking more CoD than Doom. And my "15 minutes" quote was based on the idea that Facebook will screw it up (see above). We've been hearing about the imminent arrival of VR for what, a decade or more now, and still nothing concrete. My other objection - and you can google this - is that some people suffer badly when put in imersive CG environments - with symptoms akin to sea/motion sickness after a short time. If memory serves then the hypothesis was that this is caused either by a lack of other cues or that the CG environment isn't quite correct and the brain gets confused. There were also some concerns expressed by osteopaths etc about the effect on neck joints of having a weighty device worn for long periods - although I'd be the first to admit that technology has moved on so those things'll be lighter than they used to be.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely CAN see a use for VR in CAE (for example), but I remain to be convinced that it's a plus point for games. I'd prefer to see 4K or even 8K screens instead.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

I can't get exited about these for 2 reasons:

1. We need standards. I ain't buying anything until it works with everything.
    2. I need to be sure it isn't going to make me puke.

Until both are met, I ain't parting with any cash
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    2. I need to be sure it isn't going to make me puke.
    Well that would add to the accuracy of a flight simulator wouldn't it - if you got airsick in the VR version like you might on a real aircraft?

LOL (unless you actually do suffer from airsickness, in which case, my sympathies)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    1. We need standards. I ain't buying anything until it works with everything.
    Agree totally, although Ziess' idea of an open SDK is a good step, although would be interesting to know what the licensing terms were.

Thanks
    • Jowsey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock H81M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNova GS 550 watt
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb

Look, headset guys. I just want something to strap to my face (using my phone or not) so I can play high bitrate, good quality movies and get a 'cinema-esque' experience. If someone could sort that out I'm there. But I'm just not a fan of VR. I'll try it when it becomes available to me but I fear I may fall into the motion sickness category as I get travel sick already. At which point I'm just not going to buy it.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Jowsey View Post
    Look, headset guys. I just want something to strap to my face (using my phone or not) so I can play high bitrate, good quality movies and get a 'cinema-esque' experience. If someone could sort that out I'm there. But I'm just not a fan of VR. I'll try it when it becomes available to me but I fear I may fall into the motion sickness category as I get travel sick already. At which point I'm just not going to buy it.
    I got an email from Maplin or Amazon, (sorry can't remember which), last week about some set of enhanced glasses and they were selling it specifically for movie watching on the move. Think the product was called MuVee or something similar. Sorry I can't be more specific.

EDIT: I found the email, it was for Vuzix ("Muvi" is a camera like the GoPro), and the Wrap 1200DX.
    Last edited by crossy; 15-10-2014 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Found the details

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Wow that's expensive for a bit of plastic and some lenses!

Google cardboard was/is a bit of fun - its a novelty being able to use your smartphone as a sort-of VR display..but it remains a novelty - its not something you would use daily and once you have played with it, thats all you really need.

This appears to be just a plastic version of that (and there are many, many of those already available from China at significantly lower cost). Totally different device category to the OCR for example.

So still waiting for the OCR really, to see if the Facebook influence hinders or helps!

Thread Information