Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Star Citizen FPS developers talk about their game module

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Star Citizen FPS developers talk about their game module

This 'strategic FPS' module alpha should be available to gamers during Q1 2015.
    Read more.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: News - Star Citizen FPS developers talk about their game module

You won't be surprised to hear I think this sounds awful. If they are not very careful it's going to add a layer of tedium to lots of things. I'd rather the money was spent on the core game.

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

I honestly don't have much interest in Star Citizen at the present time. I'll let them release it and judge it then. Elite Dangerous is fantastic and is (almost) everything I want from a space sim, so I'm going to play that, and Star Citizen can disappoint me in 2 years (I expect).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    You won't be surprised to hear I think this sounds awful. If they are not very careful it's going to add a layer of tedium to lots of things. I'd rather the money was spent on the core game.
    This is the core game, or one of the pieces of the core game. I like where they're going with this, lots of depth and will prevent people from running around screaming like lunatics on bath salts!

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    This is the core game, or one of the pieces of the core game.
    Really it's not. It wasn't part of the original pitch at RSI. It's not on the kickstarter page for either the core game or original stretch goals.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    This is the core game, or one of the pieces of the core game.
    Really it's not. It wasn't part of the original pitch at RSI. It's not on the kickstarter page for either the core game or original stretch goals.
    You might want to check your facts there, buddy.

$3,500,000 Stretch Goal : Ship boarding – learn more about how Star Citizen will allow players to conduct boarding operations.

$5,000,000 : Enhanced boarding options: melee combat, heavy weapons, zero gravity simulation, suit HUD options and EVA combat.

Learn to read.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by screecwe View Post
    You might want to check your facts there, buddy.

$3,500,000 Stretch Goal : Ship boarding – learn more about how Star Citizen will allow players to conduct boarding operations.

$5,000,000 : Enhanced boarding options: melee combat, heavy weapons, zero gravity simulation, suit HUD options and EVA combat.

Learn to read.
    I think you misread me. It's not part of the core game: It wasn't part of the original RSI pitch, and any stretch goal is by definition not part of the core game.

Thanks
    • davesom555's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2600@4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair 3000mhz
      • Storage:
      • 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME + multiple 2.5" SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 700w
      • Case:
      • NZXT H400i mATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 27" QHD 144mhz
      • Internet:
      • 200mb

You don't really need to say "Learn to read", either. That's just rude.

9. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (29-10-2014)

Thanks

Well, regardless if it may or may not have been part of the original pitch, it is now, it's being developed and it's here to stay. I'm all for a game that encompasses multiple different game types because that increases my interest and reduces boredom by being able to do different things. World of Warcraft didn't intend to have vehicles and aircraft to do dailies on, now they're a core part of the game for certain areas. Take Wintergrasp in WOTLK for example. Variation is good.

ZaO

Definitely not surprised. When I saw this article, the first thing I expected to see in the comments section was you disapproving. Lol.. I know from past conversations that you think they should keep this game as one where you stay in your ship all the time (the way it's normally done with these games). But that's not going to happen! They want to push things further than has been done before. There are plenty of people that think the whole idea of this game and all the different things you can do it will be awesome. Just have a look at all the backing they're receiving if you have any doubts

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    Definitely not surprised. When I saw this article, the first thing I expected to see in the comments section was you disapproving. Lol.. I know from past conversations that you think they should keep this game as one where you stay in your ship all the time (the way it's normally done with these games). But that's not going to happen! They want to push things further than has been done before. There are plenty of people that think the whole idea of this game and all the different things you can do it will be awesome. Just have a look at all the backing they're receiving if you have any doubts
    lol wealth and stupidity are not mutually exclusive We will very much see on release - then my doubts will be eased, or not.

Thanks

They want to push things further than has been done before.
    So says everyone in marketing!
    The problem is delivery. People in the tech industry know how much a project like this needs. Look at any decent FPS over the last few years - they're huge projects, with loads of developers and take years to make.

There are plenty of people that think the whole idea of this game and all the different things you can do it will be awesome. Just have a look at all the backing they're receiving if you have any doubts
    But once you take the hype away, you're left with very little currently. I want it to succeed - I really do, but the history of the game isn't great. I don't want to sound brutal here, but when you consider it started its drive in October 2012, has had huge funds poured into it, and you compare what they have now....., It's not great progress. Delivery dates have been constantly missed - they were almost ignored at one stage, in favour of marketing about ensuring quality and such. Everyone likes quality, but the rate of progress is very slow.

Take the current build for instance - there isn't a lot there.

And now they want to bolt on a FPS game?

I'll be very surprised if it's anything more than a basic FPS framework. Balancing a FPS can take months on its own.

I don't think kalniel is disapproving for a second: He's being realistic.

Backing doesn't alleviate doubts - a product does. At the moment they have little more than a very basic outline for a game. It's pretty, sure. They have ideas, sure. Awesome marketing? Yep.....but I still can't do much in the 'game' :\
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

ZaO

My point was that Kalniel just doesn't like the idea of a space flight sim where you can also get out of the ship and do other stuff, including the FPS stuff. That's why I knew they would be here saying something about this

As for the progress they've made in the time since they started, I can't really tell you if it's good or not. How much of it are they not showing us yet, I wonder.. Considering all that they want to do with this game (and btw, my opinion of them wanting to push stuff there is just based on what plans I've seen), I would expect it to take a very long time if it's all going to be of high quality. Just to try and figure out some kind of comparison here (I don't actually know the answers to these questions either) - do you guys know how long it took to create Battlefield 3 from start to finish? Add that time onto BF4's development time, because BF4 is just BF3 with more work done on it. Then let's see how long that took (let's not forget all the extra months of patches for these unfinished games as well). I imagine it's going to be somewhere around 4-5 years, right? Then consider that Star Citizen is way more ambitious than those games. How long would you reasonably expect it to take to develop Star Citizen? Maybe we can't even answer that..

I also wonder how people would've felt about a lot of other games if they were developed out in the open like this. I've used this analogy before - but if you could hear how people start out when they're creating a new song, you might not have much faith in the final product. Because you're so used to just hearing the finished piece all the time, that you're not really aware of all the work it took to get there, all the failures that happened along the way. Then again, you guys might be game developers (I have a feeling Kalniel is). In which case, I'd be even more interested to hear what you think about the development times. Because tbh, I don't really know how long it's taken to make a lot of the games I play. I just assume it's a number of years for most..

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

My point was that Kalniel just doesn't like the idea of a space flight sim where you can also get out of the ship and do other stuff, including the FPS stuff.
    That's not quite true. I just don't like the idea of *this* space combat game (or ED) being about that too. There have been a few examples in the past and they've all been bad. On the other hand, when I signed up for my golden ticket it was on the premise of a return to the Wing Commander and/or Privateer games. Star Citizen is many things but it's not that any more. Something I've come to appreciate over the years is that more is not always more, and in fact, it's quite often less. And as you widen the focus you lose out on something.

I also wonder how people would've felt about a lot of other games if they were developed out in the open like this. I've used this analogy before - but if you could hear how people start out when they're creating a new song, you might not have much faith in the final product. Because you're so used to just hearing the finished piece all the time, that you're not really aware of all the work it took to get there, all the failures that happened along the way. Then again, you guys might be game developers (I have a feeling Kalniel is). In which case, I'd be even more interested to hear what you think about the development times. Because tbh, I don't really know how long it's taken to make a lot of the games I play. I just assume it's a number of years for most..
    I've been in the field in the past, it's not my main job though. There's a complete spectrum of development times and styles - no two companies are the same.

The comparison with E is an interesting one - I know which one I have a lot more faith in regarding the development process and maturity/focus of development team. Project..er.. Pillars of Eternity is another one - you can see in the processes, the vertical slices, all sorts of signs of efficient and effective game development.

Thanks
    • MaddAussie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix Z370G
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700k (5.1Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • 500G 960 EVO NMVE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1070
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide A1r 240
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell HD + Samsung HD

I really do worry about 'Mission Creep' meaning it will be a never ending cycle until everything implodes

Isn't salad what food eats??

ZaO

That's not quite true. I just don't like the idea of *this* space combat game (or ED) being about that too. There have been a few examples in the past and they've all been bad. On the other hand, when I signed up for my golden ticket it was on the premise of a return to the Wing Commander and/or Privateer games. Star Citizen is many things but it's not that any more. Something I've come to appreciate over the years is that more is not always more, and in fact, it's quite often less. And as you widen the focus you lose out on something.

I've been in the field in the past, it's not my main job though. There's a complete spectrum of development times and styles - no two companies are the same.

The comparison with E is an interesting one - I know which one I have a lot more faith in regarding the development process and maturity/focus of development team. Project..er.. Pillars of Eternity is another one - you can see in the processes, the vertical slices, all sorts of signs of efficient and effective game development.
    You might be right on some of this. I don't really know how it will turn out yet. I want to hold out for the persistent universe module, then see how I feel. But don't you think that the future of games (definitely with exceptions to this) is to be able to do lots of different things within the same game, rather than having lots of different games for different types of gameplay? I love the idea! I think it will take a very long time to build such a game. And it would need to have a long lifespan for it to be worth it. I think this will be the case with SC. I'm looking forward to playing a game again that has some longevity to it. I've grown extremely tired of the yearly release crap that's going on. Let's have massive games that last for years and years, while evolving all the time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information