Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: QOTW: Why do you own an iPhone?

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

QOTW: Why do you own an iPhone?

We've heard from the naysayers, now let's hear from actual iPhone owners.
    Read more.

AlexKitch

Re: QOTW: Why do you own an iPhone?

Because I genuinely find the software to be the most consistent in terms of appearance, performance and reliability. It never bothers me with the meaningless errors and strange quirks like my Galaxy S3 did.

I'm a programmer, so I spend my day customizing/tweaking systems. Frankly, I want my phone to be a *break* from that kind of stuff. Sometimes, less is more.

Thanks

I own an iPhone as it integrates well with my other devices (I have a mac, an iPad and Apple TV). I know I may be sneered at slightly for buying into the Apple ecosystem, but I find it worth paying for everything to 'play nicely'. I had android handsets before this, and they caused no end of problems. Personally, linux based OS's will only be in my server and VMs

Thanks

I still use a 4S. I want a small phone and it's the most powerful small phone out. The camera is still very good and it simply does everything I want without much fuss.

I also have an Sony Android tablet which I love, a PC with Windows 7 and a MacBook Pro. I tried a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact phone which was great and had LTE, but it took some tweaking to do everything I wanted but I still preferred my 4S so I returned it.
    Last edited by rm19; 27-02-2015 at 08:02 PM. Reason: clarify

OilSheikh

LOL. Only 3 replies. Sums it up very well I must say

Registered+
    Thanks

I don't own one, but my wife does. Her reason? The camera. For a smartphone, it's one of the best camera and goes well for my wife as she's a photographer so the iPhone 6+ she have works well enough when she doesn't have a camera available.

Plus she've used iOS for a long time so she's just used to it. Why change?

Thanks

back in early 2008 i was looking for a phone that could let me browse online, and use forums in particular was one use. so i went to all the usual phone shops and checked out all the models. pretty open minded about the whole thing. i remember the iphone launch and thought folk were nuts to line up and high five and all that and pay a lot for a phone with expensive contract, however i wasn't happy with any of the phones. there was the nokia n95 or something which was quite hi tec at the time, but i think it was a numeric keypad so you had to press buttons a few times to get the right letter, like the old days of texting. when i was in the o2 store the sales guy asked if i had seen the iphone, i said no and he pulled his own from his pocket and handed me it, and i had a play with it and it was very intuitive for me. i went to the browser and the internet worked miles better than all the rest of the phones. but i was pretty much against apple at the time as prices were so high and there were so many restrictions on things. although i did think osx was like a fisher price OS

anyways i got back and i read up on it and found out about hacktivating and jailbreaking, and found that i could buy the phone from o2 and hacktivate it without having to sign up to a contract. a major loophope in the normal buying process of any handset. so the phone was discounted like most contract phones, but i could avoid the contract. better still, o2 were willing to give me a great retention deal, plus £100 cashback, and the iphone was just reduced in price. so i got the phone for peanuts with a very cheap sim only contract, and then sold my own phone which pretty much meant i had a free upgrade and a cheaper contract. so it took the whole idea of the iphone being expensive and laughed in it's face. it was the best phone in all my tests, plus by far the cheapest deal

in the early days it was amazing what the phone could do. it really was one of the best gadgets i had ever bought. it felt great in the hand, looked nice, and did amazing things

anyways as i was so happy with that phone i didn't upgrade my phone till iphone4 which i got on release day. it was a major hardware upgrade, and i got pretty much all the money back that i paid for the iphone. in fact with all the deals i got, i ended up having the phone and contract for next to nothing quite literally. again i was open minded about a new phone, but android wasn't quite developed and likewise handsets as far as i was concerned, plus by that time i had many apps, plus ipad using the same apps (which i got for a steal), so i stuck with the iphone4. again i upgraded to iphone 5s, i was going to get the iphone 5 but couldn't get stock and heard there were issues with it, and as i was happy with iphone4 i wasn't too bothered about an upgrade, so a few years later the upgrade was notable. again i didn't think there was any reason to swap to android. the two systems are similar, so not worth swapping over unless you have good reason. so years of apps, and now having a newer ipad (again at a steal), it's just easier and nicer having the same system on both portable devices. i also have a windows tablet, and laptops and netbooks with both osx and windows. i think the fisher price idea of ios is perfect for a phone, as simplicity on a smaller screen is great. you don't want the complexity of windows, and that's where the windows tablet fails. it's great that it can do so much like a desktop, but too fiddly for the normal use that i use my ipad for

folk might disagree with me and prefer android or something else, or moan about all sorts of things, but i don't care. i think it's worth the money for a number of reasons, including the resale value. but a new iphone at £500 or whatever and sell it in a couple of years for half the price, so it cost £250 for 2 years of use. you could buy a cheaper android phone but 2 years later not get much reselling it. cue folks who will argue the toss about this without realising i don't give a toss. i can buy a bottle of wine for £5 and it tastes like pish or a bottle of wine for £10 and it's enjoyable. sometimes paying a bit more for something you actually enjoy is of far more value than something cheaper you don't enjoy so much. if folk want to buy android or something else, it's their choice and no-one is stopping them, and the same with the iphone. coming from someone who would persuade people not to spend money on apple products, the iphone had to be pretty good to persuade me it was a good choice and good value for money

as to my next phone, it just depends whats on the market at the time. i absolutely love the idea of windows being integrated and wished that for a long time, and being able to run windows apps on my phone sounds amazing, but if in practice the usage is a poor experience, then i may wait out till a following phone. having an ipad i don't want a large phone either. i want something small that fits in my jeans or trouser pocket easily

Thanks
    • 3s-gtech's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3-1600
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Samsung 850 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD HD 6870 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Antec 550W
      • Case:
      • Antec Sonata II
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW

Got it cheap to replace a Galaxy S2 that was unreliable. For its age (4S 32GB) it's a good phone, with a lovely screen, decent camera, good range of apps and isn't too big. Battery life is rubbish, but no worse than most smartphones. Can also use it to stream music from my PC to my hifi via a very good app, never managed to find anything half decent to do that on Android.

Thanks

I have an ipad air 2 and an iphone 6 for the simple fact of continuity. The very second that Google and Microsoft integrate SMS and cellular calling over wifi (Abstracted methods from user) I will drop apple in a heart beat. This should be deeply integrated in to the OS and not a 3rd party addon. I appreciate that this requires real communication between 2 competing rivals but I see a true future with windows in the desktop space and android in the mobile space.

A few other wishes for Android, Real multi tasking (as promised in some leaks about 5 months back)

Thanks

oh and the nexus 9 was the biggest disappointment I ever had.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    LOL. Only 3 replies. Sums it up very well I must say
    Thank-you for your useful input to the thread...

I have an iPhone 5 as:

- They just 'work' (I feel the hate rising in you all) I pretty much browse the net and listen to podcasts. For this it's prefect, any previous Android I owned has always had issues with browser crashes/audio stopping when a browser was open and general crashes. This is with both stock ROM and CM etc

- The camera is fast and takes good photos.

- The resale value of my 'overpriced' phone in 2years time will dwarf the resale value of it's Android equivalent so TCO is probably the same.

- I and my wife previously owned iPhones and we have investment in the app ecosystem.

- They are (IMO) very well built, they feel far more premium than all but the high end Android handsets (which tend closer towards the same price anyway than they used to) The comparison is no longer a £600 iPhone is the same as a £150 Android.

Now, before you answer please do not see the above as a defense of £700 iPhone 6+s or any other phone priced more than some cars. android is certainly guilty of that too.
    I'm sick to the back teeth of people using false arguments to hate on Apple when they're just the same as any other slave-labour using/ tax avoiding phone manufacturer, they're just more successful, hell Samsung isn't exactly a shining example. People love to side with the 'little guy' who in this case is actually not the little guy at all.

I await someone telling me I'm a teenager or a clueless soccer mom with delight

ZaO

Because I'm a hipster \m/

Troll confirmed.

Registered+
    Thanks

Never had any major problems with them. Quite happy to stay with the solid apple products.

Thanks

I own an iPhone 4, took it used two years ago and the reason is that i liked its shape and built materials, it feels very durable when you holdbit in comparison with others, and for 90€ it was great deal.
    I am not that smartphone guy how spends all his day playing around with the phone, at least the last years, before with wince/mobile it was my main concern how to build/cook roms, porting apps, great years, still having lot of pda's in my drawer!
    I use iPhone for just take a quick look to my emails and check for something in the net when I am not in front of a pc.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • letsrace567's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X99S SLI Plus
      • CPU:
      • 5820K @4.4GHz/1.26V w/Enermax T40-TB
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 2400
      • Storage:
      • AMD R7 240GB/1TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 970 WF3
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G2 1000
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Insider Preview 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer P246HL
      • Internet:
      • 8Mbps/1Mbps

I have had an iPod touch, iPhone 4, and now an iPhone 5. The 4 I actually ran over with a car (yes, by accident) and while the screen was shattered, the phone continued to work as normal for another 6 months until I replaced it with the 5. Needless to say, I agree with the above comments about durability and build quality.

As for performance, the phone does what I need: checking email, some web surfing, and maybe a YouTube video or two here and there. If I want an "enthusiast" experience, I'll use my brand-new X99 build. When I'm out and about, I want my phone to be a help to me, not a distraction from the real people right in front of me. The iPhone 5 accomplishes that goal for me.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

I've had 3 iPhones, my wife still has hers and my father uses my last iPhone. They are good phones, they are very simple, even my two year old daughter can work one (she knows how to go to Youtube, hit the voice search and play all of her favourite Mr Tumble, Balamory and other various nursery rhymes videos without asking anyone for help) so regardless of age or techie knowledge/ability they are a great fit for so many different types of people.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information