Thread: Microsoft launches ultra-thin Universal Foldable Keyboard

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Microsoft launches ultra-thin Universal Foldable Keyboard

This Bluetooth keyboard for Windows, iOS and Android will be available this summer for $100.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Microsoft launches ultra-thin Universal Foldable Keyboard

How come Microsoft can introduce stuff like this but ignore the X-Box one media center extender capability that has been under review since it's release.

D-T
    Thanks
    • D-T's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z370 ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700k @ 4.7GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair 3GHz DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 Pro NVMe | Samsung 840 Pro | Sandisk Extreme Pro II
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x 11GB GTX 1080 Ti (ASUS STRIX | MSI Gaming X)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 80+ Ti
      • Case:
      • Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS PG348Q, 21:9 1440p @ 90Hz // Panasonic 55" CX700B, 16:9 2160p @ 60Hz
      • Internet:
      • "100Mbps"

Not a word on encryption/security? In almost all of the cases where this might be useful for my tablet or smart-phone (texts, web browsing, documentation etc.), I wouldn't want the data transmitted in the clear over Bluetooth. You'd think they'd make some nod towards security, I would've thought it'd be a major concern for something like this.

I must admit, I'm a bit behind on Bluetooth revisions (I barely use it, save for audio streaming); how secure is 4.1?
    Last edited by D-T; 03-03-2015 at 02:23 PM.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by D-T View Post
    No information given on encryption/security? In almost all of the cases where this might be useful for my tablet or smart-phone (texts, web browsing, documentation etc.), I wouldn't want the data transmitted in the clear over Bluetooth.
    I know what you're getting at, and I'm pretty sure that the answer is that there isn't any kind of encryption. It's for that reason that the security folks at my employer pretty much ban the use of Bluetooth keyboards, (which is partly why I'm using a Logitech "Unifying" setup - because this is encrypted). On the other hand the article does say:
    sers will be able to pair the keyboard with two devices at a time via Bluetooth or via a microUSB cable, allowing them to quickly switch from typing on one gadget to another with the tap of a key.
    so if your host device supports a MicroUSB-connected keyboard then at least you won't be broadcasting passwords etc.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by D-T View Post
    Not a word on encryption/security? In almost all of the cases where this might be useful for my tablet or smart-phone (texts, web browsing, documentation etc.), I wouldn't want the data transmitted in the clear over Bluetooth. You'd think they'd make some nod towards security, I would've thought it'd be a major concern for something like this.

I must admit, I'm a bit behind on Bluetooth revisions (I barely use it, save for audio streaming); how secure is 4.1?
    I think most of the security updates went into 2.1 with the later updates extending it to low power devices. Most of the security problems with Bluetooth have been with implementation issues rather than the core specification. Overall, BT is well studied and well understood from a security perspective, and has always had security built in which has been updated over the years.

For starters if someone wants to eavesdrop your BT keyboard then AIUI they need to constantly record all 80 Bluetooth radio channels to get the raw packets as without the pairing keys they won't know which channel the next packet is hopping out on. Frankly it is hard enough that they would be better off trying to provoke a man in the middle attack by somehow forcing you to re-pair. That would probably need a social engineering attack, and if they are that bothered then it would probably be easier to just break into your workplace and install some malware on your PC.

This is rather better than cheap wireless keyboards where encryption means eg xor-ing the data with the MAC address of the keyboard.

How sensitive is your text message that you think basic Bluetooth isn't enough?

6. Received thanks from:

crossy (04-03-2015),D-T (03-03-2015)

DDY
    Thanks
    • DDY's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z390M Pro 4
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Adata SX8200 NVME 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 5700
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 550W
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

This is news?

I had a folding full size keyboard for my Palm PDA, which compared to this was more compact and had a much smaller gap through the middle.

Thanks

This looks really nice. I'm tempted, but not sold.

Quote Originally Posted by DDY View Post
    This is news?

I had a folding full size keyboard for my Palm PDA, which compared to this was more compact and had a much smaller gap through the middle.
    And you were probably the only one.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    For starters if someone wants to eavesdrop your BT keyboard then AIUI they need to constantly record all 80 Bluetooth radio channels to get the raw packets as without the pairing keys they won't know which channel the next packet is hopping out on. Frankly it is hard enough that they would be better off trying to provoke a man in the middle attack by somehow forcing you to re-pair. That would probably need a social engineering attack, and if they are that bothered then it would probably be easier to just break into your workplace and install some malware on your PC.

This is rather better than cheap wireless keyboards where encryption means eg xor-ing the data with the MAC address of the keyboard.
    Interesting post - thanks. If it's any help there's a brief description available at Secure Connect - Logitech. If I remember the security folks arguments, it was along the lines that you suggest - that a broad spectrum would have to be monitored. However, their view was that while this wasn't a simple task, it was still eminently possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    How sensitive is your text message that you think basic Bluetooth isn't enough?
    Remember that they (MS) are targetting this device at the BYOD crew, so it's pretty possible that some of the "broadcast" data will be commercially sensitive data. Then again, if you're sitting working on the company "5 year plan" in a public place then you really deserve a good slap. AFAIK the range of Bluetooth is pretty short, so any one trying to eavesdrop needs to be pretty close.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thread Information