Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 is "the last version of Windows," says Microsoft dev

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Windows 10 is "the last version of Windows," says Microsoft dev

Because it is to become a service with a constant stream of improvements and updates.
    Read more.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Re: Windows 10 is "the last version of Windows," says Microsoft dev

I am wondering how this will work in a corporate environment? Sounds like something that will not work, especially when talking about server editions.....
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

3. Received thanks from:

[DW]Cougho (08-05-2015)

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

There is only one possible way they can make money off this... subscriptionnnnnnnn

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    There is only one possible way they can make money off this... subscriptionnnnnnnn
    Or MUI ads? I hope so, anyway, no way am I paying a Windows subscription.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks

I imagine they will do something similar to chromeos. For example by Samsung chromebook will not receive updates after a certain year (I think 2016/17) which means if I want the latest version of chromeos, I'll need to buy a new device..

Thanks

um.... how is this going to be funded, how will this work in a business environment where testing etc is needed.

I won't be paying for a subscription to an OS that's for sure and honestly how would that actually work when buying say a new laptop... Hi welcome to your store of choice, oh you'd like this laptop that's £299 but you'll need to pay £10+ a month to use it... oh that will really help oems and ms lol. It works with mobile phones because you're spreading the cost of the phone, it's not going to work on a pc.

I don't mind the idea of the basics of the OS being free and then you pay for extra 'features', say like media features or server features etc but there is no way I will ever pay for just the OS, I'll go over to linux before that happens.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    I am wondering how this will work in a corporate environment? Sounds like something that will not work, especially when talking about server editions.....
    I strongly suspect that corporates won't see much in the way of change. Being snippy, if they annoy corporates then that's their business toasted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Pay to use? No thanks, watch the flood of folks moving across to other OS's - MacOSX or Linux. Annual subscription I'd be more amenable to, depending on how it's implemented. So if a failure to renew means no updates, but I can continue to use then I'd be okay with that. On the other hand if a lack of subscription means limitations on use or continued "you need to activate a new subscription" then they can stuff that.
    Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    Or MUI ads? I hope so, anyway, no way am I paying a Windows subscription.
    MUI ads would last only until someone figures out a blocker app for them, then a whole lot of people would opt-out. Me being one.

If Windows is "continually improving" then how the heck are you supposed to deal with reprovisioning? That is, supposing my machine breaks and I've to reinstall the OS, I'm going to be less than happy if I then have to download and install umpteen months worth of updates - especially since that'd invariably mean multiple reboots too. They (MS) go down this continual improvement route then I'd want to see some way for a machine to generate a slipstreamed install DVD, (or flash drive).

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    If Windows is "continually improving" then how the heck are you supposed to deal with reprovisioning? That is, supposing my machine breaks and I've to reinstall the OS, I'm going to be less than happy if I then have to download and install umpteen months worth of updates - especially since that'd invariably mean multiple reboots too. They (MS) go down this continual improvement route then I'd want to see some way for a machine to generate a slipstreamed install DVD, (or flash drive).
    I imagine MS will provide regular updated media to download. Only option that makes sense. As for corporates - they already rent Windows/Office so its no change for them. For individuals I imagine you'll have free/cheap Windows Starter edition with Bing and have Pro etc available as an addon (Similar thing for media?).
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    um.... how is this going to be funded, how will this work in a business environment where testing etc is needed.

I won't be paying for a subscription to an OS that's for sure and honestly how would that actually work when buying say a new laptop... Hi welcome to your store of choice, oh you'd like this laptop that's £299 but you'll need to pay £10+ a month to use it... oh that will really help oems and ms lol. It works with mobile phones because you're spreading the cost of the phone, it's not going to work on a pc.

I don't mind the idea of the basics of the OS being free and then you pay for extra 'features', say like media features or server features etc but there is no way I will ever pay for just the OS, I'll go over to linux before that happens.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02...s_is_too_many/
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

The problem with this and corporates, is not a subscription model (IF that's where it goes), it's going to be patches that change fundamental underlying functionality.

At the moment, server upgrade can be a fickle beast, with patches essentially "upgrading" the OS, it's going to be a nightmare.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

Windows is such a big and complicated piece of software, that this weekly, monthly schedule of adding features is not feasible or much more prone to error than the last scheme. Learn from Apple, Microsoft, they did not unified all the platforms like you wanted to do, they did not introduced a stupid schedule. Really, what is wrong with Microsoft in the last few years? If ain't broken why fix it?

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by yeeeeman View Post
    Really, what is wrong with Microsoft in the last few years? If ain't broken why fix it?
    Cos they cocked it up with windows 8 and office 2013 and lost revenue due to that and declining PC sales. Instead of realising lots of us didn't get office2013 due its restrictive and limiting licences compared to 2010, and learning from it, they are going for a money-grabbing subscription gravy train and think that everyone will just suck it up. I left photoshop at CS6, Autocad at 2011 and I will do the same with windows if it comes to subscription models.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    I can't find the link ATM but i remember reading that when W10 is released Microsoft is going to retain the fast and slow release rings, the fast ring is going to be for consumers and the slow for the corporate market.

Basically the fast ring (consumers) are going to get the newest features first so that any bugs or problems can be identified and hopefully fixed before rolling the update out to the slow ring (corporate market) with an option for them to delay the update while further testing is done.

EDIT: Found the link

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    I can't find the link ATM but i remember reading that when W10 is released Microsoft is going to retain the fast and slow release rings, the fast ring is going to be for consumers and the slow for the corporate market.

Basically the fast ring (consumers) are going to get the newest features first so that any bugs or problems can be identified and hopefully fixed before rolling the update out to the slow ring (corporate market) with an option for them to delay the update while further testing is done.
    So that last bit basically means that fee-paying consumers are being used as beta testers for the corporates... oh wonderful!

Actually the slow/fast rings are given in the article itself:
    PC World reports that there will be both fast and slow-ring security patch options for users – just like how Windows 10 insiders currently choose to get updated. Whether the fast-slow preferences extend to features is not known at this time. Meanwhile business users will be allowed to update at their own pace thanks to Windows Update for Business, free for Windows Pro and Windows Enterprise devices. Various 'distribution rings' can be set up to specify when/what/if updates should and shouldn't occur.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

This is not all that different to how Red Hat does business. There's the Fedora distro, which is the version for the masses, and there's Red Hat, the professional, paid version. And that's probably the biggest knock against Red Hat - they've taken a product that was initially free, and made a successful company out of it that actually rivals the other major server software companies. It's a rather desperate knock, but there you go.

And let's be real, people. Patch Tuesday says we've been beta testing for a product we've paid for for over a decade now.

The biggest problem with MS is they have PR people that describe things like a politician does - they have a way of making anything good sound like you have to take cod liver oil for dessert every night, and everything not super good sound like the end of the world. For the average consumer, there will be little if any change. Upgrade now for free, or after a year, pay for it. Build a new machine? Either buy a new license, or remove it from the old machine. Buy a box store machine? Same as it ever was. But to believe this is the 'last' version of Windows is naive at best, and willfully stupid at worst. It may be the last name change, but that's a far different thing. And there's no company in the world that gives free tech support forever for any product.

Oh, and to drive a final nail in things, Media Center, as last presented in Windows 7, is officially dead. There will be no revival, resurrection or voodoo zombie ritual. There will be, however, native DVD playback. You will still have to buy a product that does blue-ray play back. For reasons stated in a different post, this does NOT make me a happy camper. But much like the 'defunct' games explorer (hint - learn shell commands and copy/paste shortcuts), I will either find a functional kludge, or succumb to the need of using Happague software (which you have to buy new versions of each time an OS upgrades... intentionally...)
    Esse Quam Videri
    Out on the road today I saw a Black Flag Sticker on a Cadillac...

Thanks

Not a hope in hell I'm paying them a subscription for this OS. Microsoft can F off, I think piracy of the OS will start seeing a spike again with this kind of crap.

Steam and co must be laughing as well at this statement.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information