Thread: WD redesigns its best selling My Passport Ultra portable HDDs

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

WD redesigns its best selling My Passport Ultra portable HDDs

Seventh gen drives available in up to 3TB capacities, plus new colour Grip Packs.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: WD redesigns its best selling My Passport Ultra portable HDDs

Looks about the same size as my Passport from many years ago...

Thanks

is that a 2.5" 3tb drive? i never knew these were close to production. i presume it's not 2 drives in one caddy as otherwise you could get 4tb with 2 x 2tb drives

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    is that a 2.5" 3tb drive? i never knew these were close to production. i presume it's not 2 drives in one caddy as otherwise you could get 4tb with 2 x 2tb drives
    Looks like 2.5" 3TB drives to me. Just checked the Passport Ultra's spec page versus one for a 3.5" WD Green drive and a 2.5 WD Blue: (H x D x W)
    GRN: 26.10 x 147.0 x 101.60
    PPU: 20.96 x 110.0 x 81.57
    BLU: 9.50 x 100.2 x 69.85
    As you can see, the Passport is smaller in all dimensions than the 3.5", but larger than the 2.5" by an amount that could easily be the case material and interface. Interesting to see that the 2.5 WD Green seems to have been dropped - so no "eco" option for small NAS's or laptops.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Looks like 2.5" 3TB drives to me. Just checked the Passport Ultra's spec page versus one for a 3.5" WD Green drive and a 2.5 WD Blue: (H x D x W)
    GRN: 26.10 x 147.0 x 101.60
    PPU: 20.96 x 110.0 x 81.57
    BLU: 9.50 x 100.2 x 69.85
    As you can see, the Passport is smaller in all dimensions than the 3.5", but larger than the 2.5" by an amount that could easily be the case material and interface. Interesting to see that the 2.5 WD Green seems to have been dropped - so no "eco" option for small NAS's or laptops.
    if it means 2.5" 9mm drives of 3tb I can update my laptop again sooner than I expected, and even consider one of the combi drives with 128gb SSD+1tb HDD for the boot drive. once the price has came down a bit though

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    if it means 2.5" 9mm drives of 3tb I can update my laptop again sooner than I expected, and even consider one of the combi drives with 128gb SSD+1tb HDD for the boot drive. once the price has came down a bit though
    If by "combi drive" you mean a WD Black 2 then I'd consider that decision very carefully - I've seen quite a few postings about problems with it. It's a non-starter as far as I'm concerned anyway because it's Windows-only.

I realise that this might get me horribly flamed - but I've had good experiences with the Seagate "hybrid" drives. I replaced an abysmally performing WD Black with a 1TB (3.5") SSHD for my "data" partition (where the user account files etc are stored) and the responsiveness of the machine went way up (rest of the disks are all SSDs). Good thing about the Seagate (and Toshiba?) SSHD's is that although they probably won't perform as well as a Black2 overall, they're a 1/3 of the price and work with any OS - so to me, they're a good halfway house on the way to full SSD-enablement.

Other thing to consider is whether your laptop actually needs more than 500GB of space (NAS boxes are cheap and readily available!). I actually downsized my main (Linux) machine and manage to fit my OS etc on a 128GB SSD. What I'm suggesting is that for the price of the Black2 (£179 according to Scan) you can easily get a proper SSD, albeit one of only 500GB. Less space, but also no need to go mucking around with WD's drivers etc. Sorry if I'm dissing the Black2, but I really see it as a dead-end product.

Although, if I was flush enough to be able to afford £200 for the Black2, then stretching the budget by another £100 gets me into 1TB SSD territory... just saying

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    If by "combi drive" you mean a WD Black 2 then I'd consider that decision very carefully - I've seen quite a few postings about problems with it. It's a non-starter as far as I'm concerned anyway because it's Windows-only.

I realise that this might get me horribly flamed - but I've had good experiences with the Seagate "hybrid" drives. I replaced an abysmally performing WD Black with a 1TB (3.5") SSHD for my "data" partition (where the user account files etc are stored) and the responsiveness of the machine went way up (rest of the disks are all SSDs). Good thing about the Seagate (and Toshiba?) SSHD's is that although they probably won't perform as well as a Black2 overall, they're a 1/3 of the price and work with any OS - so to me, they're a good halfway house on the way to full SSD-enablement.

Other thing to consider is whether your laptop actually needs more than 500GB of space (NAS boxes are cheap and readily available!). I actually downsized my main (Linux) machine and manage to fit my OS etc on a 128GB SSD. What I'm suggesting is that for the price of the Black2 (£179 according to Scan) you can easily get a proper SSD, albeit one of only 500GB. Less space, but also no need to go mucking around with WD's drivers etc. Sorry if I'm dissing the Black2, but I really see it as a dead-end product.

Although, if I was flush enough to be able to afford £200 for the Black2, then stretching the budget by another £100 gets me into 1TB SSD territory... just saying
    yeah i meant the black 2, as 128gb (in fact less than half) would be fine for the boot and apps, and the rest for data. i did have one of the 750gb SSHDs (biggest size available at the time) and it did make a decent difference, but i replaced with a 2tb drive as the extra storage was more useful to me

i have desktops at home with all my data (and backed up) with the laptop having an extra backup of most of it which i use when away from home, and i need local access, so the NAS idea isn't suitable, and an external drive isn't either

personally i wish they had made 2tb 2.5" SSHDs or a WD black 2 in 2tb size with 64-128gb SSD would be great too. i thought they did make the black 2's mac compatible now, but i just have a 128gb SSD in my macbook which is mainly for surfing etc on the road, and has been at my feet front row at a number of gigs, so i wouldn't trust a mechanical drive for that

Thread Information