Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samsung to launch Galaxy Note 5 in August to pre-empt iPhone 6S

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Samsung to launch Galaxy Note 5 in August to pre-empt iPhone 6S

The WSJ says that a major US city will host the Note 5 launch event weeks before IFA.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Samsung to launch Galaxy Note 5 in August to pre-empt iPhone 6S

Hopes for a removable battery and MicroSD slot
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Indeed - I bought the Note 4 for thees reasons and the larger screen of course Hopefully Samsung can see that's what consumers want - surely S6 sales prove this - customers don't want to pay more for less - unless you're an apple fanboy.

Thanks
    • kellyharding's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B550M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen R5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Geil
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD, 2x 480GB SATA SSD, 4Tb WD BLack HDD, 2x Hiitachi 2Tb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte WindForce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet! System Power 700W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core V21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 23", Samsung SM2343BW, NEC 1970nxp
      • Internet:
      • EE 70Mbps

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Likewise. Lack of either is a dealbreaker for me and I suspect by the S6 sales a lot of other people.
    Desktop MSI B550M Mortar, Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB DDR4 3200, 1Tb NVMe SSD, 2x480GB SATA SSD, 4Tb + 2x2Tb HDD, 3x monitors, Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Server MSI Z170A Gaming M7, Intel i7-6700K, 16Gb DDR 2400, 120Gb SATA SSD, 1Tb WD Black HDD, 4x 4Tb HDD in RAID5

Registered+
    Thanks

I don't mind not having a removable battery, but no SD card slot no deal.

Thanks

it might be more useful to actually have stock available on release too.... there have been stock issues (supposedly) with the s6/s6edge

Registered+
    Thanks
    • MrFawlty's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3750K @ 4.3GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Patriot 1600 DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 250Gb SSD + 2 * 2Tb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R9 270X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2412M + NEC 20WGX2

What's the obsession with SD card slots? Android has had limited support for them for ages (lollipop improved things slightly with improved app permissions, but it is still awkward to use)? What bothers me most is the fact that Android flagship phone prices have slowly but surely crept up to iPhone prices. An iPhone is now not the most expensive phone to own, and we all know Apple's profiteering in that regard, so it must mean that Samsung, LG et al are doing the exact same thing now, and no one seems to mind. Grrrr.
    "Don't mention the war!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrFawlty View Post
    What's the obsession with SD card slots? Android has had limited support for them for ages (lollipop improved things slightly with improved app permissions, but it is still awkward to use)? What bothers me most is the fact that Android flagship phone prices have slowly but surely crept up to iPhone prices. An iPhone is now not the most expensive phone to own, and we all know Apple's profiteering in that regard, so it must mean that Samsung, LG et al are doing the exact same thing now, and no one seems to mind. Grrrr.
    Agreed. Android SD card support beyond media storage has always been clunky. Android M apparently increases support for SD card support further.

Still, I severely doubt Samsung's sales were barely dented by the lack of an SD card slot. Sure us techies are drawn to such specs, but the Galaxy range has always been the one joe public are drawn to, and I can't name anyone non-techie who uses the SD card slot.

The lack of a swappable battery probably had slightly more impact, but I still doubt it was the main reason. By the sounds of it they just underestimated how many would opt for the S6 Edge over the regular version, and the ensuing stock issues were the real issue.

Registered+
    Thanks

The Note series is aimed at the more techie... The use of new memory for samsung phones means an sd card is a no go. all well and good but 64gb or 128 gb note 5 will be very over priced compared to me buying a 128gb sd card.
    If true that's me gone from samsung..and I've had a lot of sammys

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by MrFawlty View Post
    I think "obsession" is a bit strong, probably more accurate to say that it figures high on the list of most-buyers "must haves". And why ... that's easy to explain. The price differential between a 32GB Samsung S6 and the 64GB model is just over £75. Yet, the same retailer sells a 32GB Sandisk Micro SD card for less than a third of that. And that's assuming that the larger storaged models were even available - which hasn't been the case in the past, so if you couldn't fit your apps, photos and music collection in 16GB then you were, well, "X out of luck" as Dirty Harry said.

You're correct that pricing has crept upwards, and while this'll win me no kudos with the iPhone fans (like peterb) the cause of that is Apple. I've read a couple of articles that have agreed that Apple's "premium" pricing has now influenced the market to such an extent that a £300 smartphone is now firmly pidgeon-holed as "midrange" despite whatever specs it may have. And where Apple have lead, Samsung have followed, and with those two upping their pricing, others have been forced to follow. If you're going to say that this is moronic then I'll agree, but with a fashion-lead item like a high-end smartphone, common sense doesn't seem to apply...

By the way, as an LG owner I'm not convinced that LG is as guilty - since the G4 is £60 cheaper than the S6, although I'll note that HTC have also priced their M9 around the same £500ish price point as Samsung. So honourable mention for LG (in my books at least) for not necessarily following the herd up the price mountain.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    Agreed. Android SD card support beyond media storage has always been clunky.
    And media storage is exactly why I want SD cards.

Thanks

If there's an obsession about anything, it is about thinness and ever larger screens. Removable battery and SD slots are practical features despite Google's attempts convince all its customers otherwise. Samsung is notorious for having a plethora of smartphone models and they should have used that to their advantage. They started off that way with the Alpha series but then decided to nerf their S flagships... what was the point of that? They should have given the A series all the eyecandy and left the S range a polycarbonate powerhouse

I have nothing against the anti-SD crowd, but I see no reason why there should be no choice. The S6 has very fast internal flash storage. Great for apps, wasted on media.

Technojunkie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pinkpound View Post
    The Note series is aimed at the more techie... The use of new memory for samsung phones means an sd card is a no go. all well and good but 64gb or 128 gb note 5 will be very over priced compared to me buying a 128gb sd card.
    Got a link to more about "new memory" and why it makes SD card a no go ?
    Chrome & Firefox addons for BBC News
    Follow me @twitter

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by semo View Post
    If there's an obsession about anything, it is about thinness and ever larger screens. Removable battery and SD slots are practical features despite Google's attempts convince all its customers otherwise. ... I have nothing against the anti-SD crowd, but I see no reason why there should be no choice. The S6 has very fast internal flash storage. Great for apps, wasted on media.
    Some cynics have argued that Google's complete farce with Kitkat & SD cards was a deliberate (i.e. with malice aforethought) attempt to convince buyers that external memory was bad. Personally I don't believe that they (Google) are that Machiavellian, nor that organized to be honest.

Remember reading an article by Jerry Hildenbrand over at Android Central. Jerry is firmly in the "SD is bad" camp and some of his arguments were:
    1. Putting in SD slots etc means extra engineering - so the phone is thicker, takes longer to come out, and is more expensive;
    2. SD support in Android is clunky - you've basically got two distinct areas to deal with, phone memory and external;
    3. SD data access is slower than internal storage;
    4. Data stored on SD is less secure, because it has to use vfat/exfat filesystems which don't support proper per-app access control;
    5. It's unnecessary since everyone streams videos & music and uses cloud storage;
    6. It's pointless because everyone just buys a card when they get the phone and the only time that gets removed is when they sell the phone.

My personal opinion on these points is:
    1. Seriously? The only people who'll even notice that extra mm or two are the marketing folks;
    2. Yes, it's clunky. But folks have deal with C, D, E, etc drives on their PC's, so why should a smartphone be any different?
    3. True, but is it slow enough to make a difference? I'd argue that - with modern flash cards - the throughput of a card is good enough for anything you're likely to want to store on it;
    4. True, but then again if #6 is true then why couldn't ext4 (or similar) be used instead? If the phone's presenting it's storage as a simulated flash drive to a PC the where's the issue? Heck, ext4 and it's ilk are open source, so it'd be surely possible to do some kind of ext4 utility for Windows (I'm guessing that OS X already supports ext4);
    5. Yes you can stream your content, if you've got a streaming music service AND a good data allowance (preferably AYCE) AND you're in an area of data coverage. On the other hand I just load up my S3/G3 with an SD card full of AAC's, switch it to flight mode and just use the on-board utils. A decent SD card capacity costs less than a years Spotify Premium or Play Music subscription;
    6. Also true to an extent, but there's always the ABILITY to upgrade, or even transfer the card between devices, moving your photos, videos, music simply and easily when you upgrade your phone.

There's also the incidental advantages. That SD card can have a backup saved to it and removed if you're doing something "tech" to your phone. Or - heaven forbid - supposing you drop your phone. The photos etc stored in internal memory are unavailable until, or rather "if", your phones fixed. On the other hand, there's a good chance that a tiny Micro SD card would survive a fall/dunking/etc.

And I'm sure that there's other good arguments for it too.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Registered+
    Thanks

Got a link to more about "new memory" and why it makes SD card a no go ?[/QUOTE]

Have a read @ the update @ bottom of page

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/07/07/expecting-the-galaxy-note-5-to-have-a-microsd-slot-dont/

does shed some doubt on a sd card been included .If no sdcard I'm out

16. Received thanks from:

mikerr (15-07-2015)

Thanks
    • big_hairy_rob's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z170-A
      • CPU:
      • Intel I5 6600k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence (3000mhz)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 500GB, WD Blue 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Radeon R9 275
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 550W (80 plus Gold)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design S (Windowed)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64.
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite E24B3HS 24", LG Flatron L1950SQ19"
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet (infinity)

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    5. Yes you can stream your content, if you've got a streaming music service AND a good data allowance (preferably AYCE) AND you're in an area of data coverage. On the other hand I just load up my S3/G3 with an SD card full of AAC's, switch it to flight mode and just use the on-board utils. A decent SD card capacity costs less than a years Spotify Premium or Play Music subscription;
    Totally with you here. I don't have a massive data allowance, nor do I want to pay a premium for going over, or increasing it. I take a lot of photos, so streaming them all would be too data heavy, not to mention battery heavy. I'd much rather have increased storage availability of an SD Card, especially as the cards can be swapped for totally different situations (one full of music, one full of videos, one empty for photos).

Also don't knock the battery drain that constrant streaming creates....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information