Thread: Microsoft releases free Windows 10 IoT Core for maker boards

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Microsoft releases free Windows 10 IoT Core for maker boards

Such as the Raspberry Pi 2 and the MinnowBoard Max.
    Read more.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Microsoft releases free Windows 10 IoT Core for maker boards

Quote Originally Posted by article

There is still quite a lot of work to be done on the maker Windows 10 IoT Core in implementing further features, optimisation and bug fixing. For example Microsoft notes that "The video driver for the Raspberry PI is still under development, and its performance has not yet been optimized" and camera peripheral support is limited. If you browse through the 'known issues' section of the release notes it is plain to see there are lots of issues you can stumble across which have no workarounds.

So, what this really amounts to is a beta, and by the sound of it, even that may be being generous.

Being part of the Win10 family, I wonder if the same sort of privacy, or rather, gross lack thereof, policy applies? If so, Win10 IoT devices will be barred, Chez Saracen.

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

It's IoT - there's no privacy regardless of the OS, short of not having a wi-fi setup close by.

4. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (11-08-2015)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Barred it is, then.

Thanks
    • Sumanji's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C TG
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GK950F 34" (3440x1440 @144Hz)
      • Internet:
      • Verizon FiOS (1Gb / 1Gb)

I wonder if this will finally help cash machines get off Windows XP...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoLS View Post
    It's IoT - there's no privacy regardless of the OS, short of not having a wi-fi setup close by.
    I know this is a bit of a tinfoil hat question but I'm interested from a technical point of view.

If I was paranoid as hell but still wanted some of the functionality of the IoT, would it be possible to isolate your house (e.g. build it with a giant faraday cage as the frame), have all the little gadgets and gizmos networked within the house talking to a single 'house server'. Internal communication would be unlimited. Communication to the outside world would only be via a hardline on the server, and the home owner could set limits on what could be sent/received over that connection (I'm thinking either by using settings/filters or at worst case, all the comms get summarized as a queue and the owner can approve/reject each request to the wider world).

First off - would WiFi even work within a faraday cage?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tpyo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoLS View Post
    I know this is a bit of a tinfoil hat question but I'm interested from a technical point of view.

If I was paranoid as hell but still wanted some of the functionality of the IoT, would it be possible to isolate your house (e.g. build it with a giant faraday cage as the frame), have all the little gadgets and gizmos networked within the house talking to a single 'house server'. Internal communication would be unlimited. Communication to the outside world would only be via a hardline on the server, and the home owner could set limits on what could be sent/received over that connection (I'm thinking either by using settings/filters or at worst case, all the comms get summarized as a queue and the owner can approve/reject each request to the wider world).

First off - would WiFi even work within a faraday cage?
    It's even easier: Put all your IoT devices on one VLAN, and prevent that VLAN for accessing the internet. Sit a gateway server that bridges that VLAN with everything else on your home network and controls access to the data gathered by your IoT devices.

This is honestly the way home IoT SHOULD be implemented, but "oh, you mean I have to buy another device?!" means that instead each IoT device has it;s own link to the internet and the 'gateway server' is a VM somewhere 'in the cloud'.

9. Received thanks from:

Tpyo (13-08-2015)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edzieba View Post
    It's even easier: Put all your IoT devices on one VLAN, and prevent that VLAN for accessing the internet. Sit a gateway server that bridges that VLAN with everything else on your home network and controls access to the data gathered by your IoT devices.

This is honestly the way home IoT SHOULD be implemented, but "oh, you mean I have to buy another device?!" means that instead each IoT device has it;s own link to the internet and the 'gateway server' is a VM somewhere 'in the cloud'.
    Given that Tpyo prefaced and qualified his question/scenario with "paranoid as hell", no, it isn't that simple, and won't do what he asked. First, ANY external connection provides a possible attack vector. Secondly, anything with a wifi connection provides an attack vector.

That's exactly why I have a number of machines here, where my usage of them doesn't require any external comms, sitting behind an airgap. Other machines, that are internet-connected, don't carry any of that more 'sensitive' data. The only attack vectors to that 'sensitive' data require physical presence at the machines.

In my case, it's a cost-benefit analysis issue - what benefit do I get ftom connecting those machines, versus what cost/risk I run. As the benefit is at most minimal, and really, zero, and cost/risk is too high, why run it? And in my case, even physical presence still leaves any intruder either needing passwords (plural), or serious encryption/cracking capabilities, or both.

For me, IoT comes down to the same cost-benefit calculation. I've yet to see any case for supposed benefits of IoT being anything I much want, and certainly not to the point where I'd give, or risk, much data about my or my household's lifestyle. I might implement Tpyo's airgapped IoT, if I could see any real benefit to me, and if the (monetary) cost of doing so was justified. But I've yet to see anything in the way of benefit to IoT that much appeals ... to me. Others may, of course, get different mileage from the IoT. If anyone's got (or invents) that benefit that, to me, is a 'must-have' game-changer, then the cost-benefit calculation might change.

Anyone see Dragon's Den with the guy that had the car security app, when Peter Jones said (paraphrasing a bit) ...

"One question ..... WHY???"

That's roughly how I feel about IoT.

11. Received thanks from:

Tpyo (13-08-2015)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • boothy02's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MAXIMUS VII GENE
      • CPU:
      • i5-4690k
      • Memory:
      • Vengeance® Pro Series 2*4GB 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Vertex 3 120GB, WD Blue 500GB, WD Blue 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Dual CFX XFX Radeon HD7870 2GB DD Edition
      • PSU:
      • 750W Corsair RM Series
      • Case:
      • Parvum Systems S1 Black/Frosted Clear
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus 28" 4K

as much as im curious of this are there any benefits over other RPI OS's already out there ?

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Quote Originally Posted by boothy02 View Post
    as much as im curious of this are there any benefits over other RPI OS's already out there ?
    It all depends on how you define benefit, I guess. The primary ones that I can think of off the bat are ease in communications and consolidation for whomever is writing the OS. Using the Nest (an internet ready thermostat now owned by Alphabet aka Google) as an example, when it first came out, it pretty much required IOS (an iphone/ipad) to work 100% properly. Now that it's owned by the company that makes Android, it works 100% properly with both. But Alphabet is under no obligation to maintain that compatibility. It's all good to be locked into one environment, until it isn't.

So, nutshell, the benefit is all your junk will talk to each other in the same language. The problem is, all your junk will only speak that one language, and will never learn another. And if something breaks and/or becomes obsolete? I'll let you follow that particular path down the rabbit hole.

Registered+
    Thanks

"First off - would WiFi even work within a faraday cage?"

Don't know, but you would be immune from lightning strikes!!!!!!!

Thread Information